OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got myself a par meter, the Apogee SQ-520 that plugs directly into your computer. My PAR was way under what I it was a few months ago when I rented a meter, but I have since made some changes (diffusers, new schedule, etc). I am also looking at getting one of the T5/LED hybrid retro kits. Aquatic life is supposed to be releasing a dimmable one soon.

I also picked up a Flame Angel and a Diamondtail Flasher Wrasse, and they are in QT right now. My next fish addition will likely be a school of chromis to round out my fish population.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Struggling with getting my nitrates up, and that led to getting burnt tips on a few of my acros as my alk was about 8.8 or so. I slowly lowered it to 7.8 and plan to keep it there. Fish in QT are doing well, and for the most part I have just been leaving my tank alone and letting it be- I think that I might only have my skimmer run at night until I can get my nutrients up, hopefully the new fish will help. I also started dosing acropower to help the cause.

Parameters:
Alk: 7.9
PO4: .05ppm
Nitrates: 0 -- I have been feeding a LOT and am not replacing my filter roll for a bit to see if that helps.
PH: 8.1-8.2

These are pretty much the only things I track regularly- cant wait for Trident to be released to completely automate everything.

I just received my CO2 scrubber I ordered along with a 3 way solenoid to try and get my ph to stay exactly at 8.3 at all times.

I have also spent a pretty good amount of time studying photography and am looking forward to having a photo session today.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot to add... I removed the icecap 1k gyre, moved both MP-40's to one side, which actually created a pretty good gyre, and then place a reef breeds RP-M where the MP-40 was, this pump is mostly just to prevent dead spots and mix it up a bit. I am actually very impressed with the RP-M.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch that about the new wrasse.... went to add a small powerhead to the QT tank and he started going spastic and then died... think he broke is spine

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some photos I took yesterday. Still learning how to handle this camera, but Im starting to get some amazing shots.

New FTS:
DSC00304.jpg

I know a lot of people hate Xenia, but I have always been a fan, and it is really interesting to photograph.
DSC00324.jpg

WWC Sunset(?) Monti:
DSC00325.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the wrasse. Would the powerhead had anything to do with it?

That Trident is on fire nowadays.
Curious to see your review.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the wrasse. Would the powerhead had anything to do with it?

That Trident is on fire nowadays.
Curious to see your review.

Potentially, but the flame angel in QT was just fine. I’m thinking it might have been the prazi I put in like 5 minutes before the power head.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been having the worst luck lately... Added the flame angel to my tank, and my wrasse absolutely destroyed him the moment I put him in the tank, and he died after struggling to hold on for a few days.

On top of that one of my acros that I have had for months RTN'd on me overnight, and a few others have been STN-ing from the tips/base and I can't figure out why. Dipping didnt help and all of my parameters are in acceptable ranges. I also havent added any corals in a very long time, so I don't think its pest related.

I changed my carbon and upped my daily AWC amount to hopefully help the cause.

UGH.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been having the worst luck lately... Added the flame angel to my tank, and my wrasse absolutely destroyed him the moment I put him in the tank, and he died after struggling to hold on for a few days.

On top of that one of my acros that I have had for months RTN'd on me overnight, and a few others have been STN-ing from the tips/base and I can't figure out why. Dipping didnt help and all of my parameters are in acceptable ranges. I also havent added any corals in a very long time, so I don't think its pest related.

I changed my carbon and upped my daily AWC amount to hopefully help the cause.

UGH.

Not glad to read this.
I always check salinity 3 times if something happens like this.
It is one of the parameters that is sometimes forgotten but can cause a lot of trouble.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for giggles:

Alk: 7.4
Cal 398
MG 1396
PH 8.35
Sal: 34.8ppt
PO4: .07ppm
NO3: 0

I feed 3x a day, 2x pellets/reef chili, and then either mysis or rods food in the evening. Still have no idea why my acros are melting. I understand when my alk creeped up that the tips burnt, but I feel like now it should be getting better, not worse. I am about to cut off some emergency frags.

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have another tank unfortunately, but I will cut off a frag and put it on my frag rack. I still have many acros/colonies that are doing very well and growing very fast.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your plan is to frag, and place those frags in another tank as a backup in case the entire colony dies? That's a great idea if I understand correctly.
Also known as banking frags, a lot of people do the same thing and give little frags to their friends as an insurance policy of sorts. Beautiful tank @ccurnick !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back