Cupramine and a noob to quarantine.

Agraves77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was hoping you guys could help me with a few things. I have a nuvo 30L that is sitting around and I’m turning it into a quarantine tank for my bigger one. So questions:

1: what is the appropriate range for curpamine?

2: can you quarantine different species at the same time in the same tank? Ex. Chromis, wrasse, and a tang?

3: what species do I need to avoid with copper?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was hoping you guys could help me with a few things. I have a nuvo 30L that is sitting around and I’m turning it into a quarantine tank for my bigger one. So questions:

1: what is the appropriate range for curpamine?

2: can you quarantine different species at the same time in the same tank? Ex. Chromis, wrasse, and a tang?

3: what species do I need to avoid with copper?
From Humblefish: How To Treat - First, it is important to know what kind of copper you are using. Cupramine is fully charged (ionic) copper, and has a therapeutic range of 0.4-0.5 mg/L or ppm. You would use a Seachem or Salifert copper test kit for Cupramine, as those are capable of reading copper in the low range. Coppersafe, on the other hand, is chelated copper. It has a much higher therapeutic range of 1.5-2.0 mg/L or ppm. As such, you need a “total copper test kit” such as API’s to measure Coppersafe.
You can quarantine different species within reason...and what I mean by that is you don't want to quarantine a lionfish with a bunch a little fish..make sense?
As far as I know the only thing you cannot run with copper is going to be inverts and corals. We'll see if @Humblefish would like to add or correct anything i've put, he's the resident expert ;)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some fish widely regarded as being more sensitive to copper than others. I've found that with angelfish and wrasses, bringing the copper levels up v-e-r-y slowly helps them to adjust. (I use Coppersafe)

If you're QT-ing multiple species, be prepared for the needs of each - Chromis are more likely to come down with Uronema. Wrasses very likely to jump out of the tank. Tangs will want a bigger tank, with some flow and a vegetable component to their foods.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Agraves77

Agraves77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some fish widely regarded as being more sensitive to copper than others. I've found that with angelfish and wrasses, bringing the copper levels up v-e-r-y slowly helps them to adjust. (I use Coppersafe)

If you're QT-ing multiple species, be prepared for the needs of each - Chromis are more likely to come down with Uronema. Wrasses very likely to jump out of the tank. Tangs will want a bigger tank, with some flow and a vegetable component to their foods.

~Bruce

What is uronema?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back