Dark Spot on Clownfish

Skyfyre22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I introduced two clownfish at the same time (originally housed in two separate tanks at the LFS). This one is a snowflake, the other is a plain ocellaris. The snowflake has been hanging out at the top of the tank, swimming sideways since we got it.

Friday, I noticed a spot it's underside. It appears to be raised (white light photo). It has been a victim of mild aggression from the other clownfish but I haven't witnessed anything too serious (the other clown larger and they have not successfully paired yet). There are also 2 yellow-tailed damsels in the tank (27 gallons) and no inverts that could possibly sting it (anemone, etc.).
20190906_085259.jpg
Last night (Saturday) the clownfish appeared to have sorted things out and the larger one is no longer showing aggression.

Today I woke up and the spot is noticably larger (blue light photo). The snowflake is still swimming sideways but it does not appear to be gasping for air, it is eating, and can swim "normally" at times. I am not sure if the weird swimming is related to the spot at all, to be honest.

20190908_084251.jpg

Is it possible this is a bite mark from the other clownfish or one of the damsels? Or am I looking at an possible infection? I am new to the hobby and looking for advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look good at all. I'm not good at diseases, but it looks like you need help now! #reefsquad any ideas? Maybe we can get an expert to help you out. How old is the tank? Did you quarantine? Welcome to R2R by the way.

OP
OP
S

Skyfyre22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look good at all. I'm not good at diseases, but it looks like you need help now! #reefsquad any ideas? Maybe we can get an expert to help you out. How old is the tank? Did you quarantine? Welcome to R2R by the way.

Thank you for the response. The tank is relatively new (it finished cycling last week). Ammonia an nitrite are both down. Unfortunately I didn't quarantine (lesson learned). The LFS where I got her runs copper so I thought that would be enough.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
S

Skyfyre22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Lymphocystis virus. Maybe this link will help you out.

Thank you for the link! Pulling her out now to QT. I'm not sure if it looks exactly like the pictures in the link (the spots in lymphocystis pictures seem lighter in color, almost white or cream). But it seems like isolating her is still a safe move.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back