DIY Lanthanum Dosing

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After messing with LaCl for too many years now, I'm backed into a corner where I am required to tell you all that LaCl is pure EVIL! Good luck using using it!

Could some one please explain to me why the latest ICP tests I've run show Phosphate as 0.025 PPM and La at 10.601 ppb. Shouldn't one or the other be zero? Excess La should result in Zero PO4, right? And excess PO4 should result in Zero La, right? Why aren't they mutually exclusive?

Thank you Randy for any enlightenment on this...

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After messing with LaCl for too many years now, I'm backed into a corner where I am required to tell you all that LaCl is pure EVIL! Good luck using using it!

Could some one please explain to me why the latest ICP tests I've run show Phosphate as 0.025 PPM and La at 10.601 ppb. Shouldn't one or the other be zero? Excess La should result in Zero PO4, right? And excess PO4 should result in Zero La, right? Why aren't they mutually exclusive?

Sounds like a trace amount did not get filtered out. I think any lanthanum precipitate, phosphate or other would show as lanthanum in an icp test.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One or both may be inaccurate, or the can coexist at low levels. :)

There will always be some free lanthanum after adding it, no matter what the phosphate level, but I do not know where the exact equilibrium lies. No, they are not mutually exclusive just like calcium and carbonate are not. ;)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes 2 to argue :cool:
Yes it doesn’t!
And if You don’t like it I don’t either but that doesn’t make it an argument, or does it?
We’re just going to have to disagree to disagree on this point?
Good we got that settled :smiling-face-with-sunglasses: I hope this clarifies the point that we have no issue, and what was the thread about?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain if I’m dealing with a false reading of PO4 with lanthanum? If I use a .22um nylon filter, will that resolve the potential of false positives?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain if I’m dealing with a false reading of PO4 with lanthanum? If I use a .22um nylon filter, will that resolve the potential of false positives?

Well, it will remove particulates larger than that, and not any smaller than that. I do not know what size particles form.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that using lanthanum will potentially lead to false readings on phosphate tests?

The concern is suspended lanthanum phosphate particles possibly getting into the test sample, dissolving at the low pH of the test, and giving a false high value.

I do not know if that commonly happens or not.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concern is suspended lanthanum phosphate particles possibly getting into the test sample, dissolving at the low pH of the test, and giving a false high value.

Doesnt lanthanum react with like everything? Why would it be in the water column? If that were a thing, seems like it would happen if you were overdosing lanthanum. Thanks!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt lanthanum react with like everything? Why would it be in the water column? If that were a thing, seems like it would happen if you were overdosing lanthanum. Thanks!

It is true that few see dissolved lanthanum by icp, but I do expect that after dosing there can be substantial particulate matter that eventually settles out. I don’t think the particulates are especially reactive.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for explaining. I understand the issue now.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that few see dissolved lanthanum by icp, but I do expect that after dosing there can be substantial particulate matter that eventually settles out. I don’t think the particulates are especially reactive.
Thanks.

I think to avoid lanthanum in the water is why it is recommended that you run it slowly through an appropriate mechanical filter. When people dose it into their water directly I get nervous, not because it doesn't work fine for some people, but because it will likely not work well for others.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

I think to avoid lanthanum in the water is why it is recommended that you run it slowly through an appropriate mechanical filter. When people dose it into their water directly I get nervous, not because it doesn't work fine for some people, but because it will likely not work well for others.

Yes, that may be related to some folks issues, but folks with mechanical filter socks have also reported issues.

Anyway, the potential for phosphate kit interference and possible tang issues may or may not be related to the same thing.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is excellent. I dose Phosban L by two little fishies diluted 1:100 in RODI.

The bottle says 33% lananthum chloride; does anyone know which form of LaCl3 they use so I can do the math?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is excellent. I dose Phosban L by two little fishies diluted 1:100 in RODI.

The bottle says 33% lananthum chloride; does anyone know which form of LaCl3 they use so I can do the math?

A bottle that says 33% lanthanum chloride should be 33% lanthanum chloride in the bottle no matter what hydration form they started with.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bottle that says 33% lanthanum chloride should be 33% lanthanum chloride in the bottle no matter what hydration form they started with.

Yes but I’m trying to calculate the concentration of lananthum in the bottle to calculate how many mls needed. If it’s 33% lananthum chloride I need to know if the lananthum chloride was anhydrous or not correct?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I’m trying to calculate the concentration of lananthum in the bottle to calculate how many mls needed. If it’s 33% lananthum chloride I need to know if the lananthum chloride was anhydrous or not correct?

That way of labeling is independent of how they started. They would just add 33% of an anhydrous form, or more of a hydrated form.

If a bottle of liquor says it is 40% ethanol, you would not think to ask what concentration of ethanol was used to make it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably already failing if you are trusting TLF to be accurate with their measurements or even accurately tell you what is in the bottle. If you really want to do this precise of a thing, buy your own LaCl and start from scratch with something that you can trust.

Does anybody trust then to know the difference between anhydrous and shineola?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That way of labeling is independent of how they started. They would just add 33% of an anhydrous form, or more of a hydrated form.

If a bottle of liquor says it is 40% ethanol, you would not think to ask what concentration of ethanol was used to make it.

Mmm so that means the solution is 330,000ppm LaCl3 or 187,225ppm Lananthum?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably already failing if you are trusting TLF to be accurate with their measurements or even accurately tell you what is in the bottle. If you really want to do this precise of a thing, buy your own LaCl and start from scratch with something that you can trust.

Does anybody trust then to know the difference between anhydrous and shineola?

Haha true but I already have the bottle :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back