Dosing questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running triton for a month and trying to get my numbers in line prior to doing an ICP test. I have a Kamoer F pro doser and was testing Alk at least once a day (sometimes twice) with a Hannah alk checker and recording my results. I started with 4ml of each a day broken down by 24 doses, staggered to avoid chemicals interfering. Once I reached 8.0 alk, I reduced dosing to 3.2 ml of each per day. My alk continued to rise to 8.4. I have recently installed an Apex Trident a few days ago to test Alk, Cal and mg. My first tests indicated my Alk was 8.5, cal 350, mg 1350. So 3 days ago I reduced my dosing to 2.4 ml a day since that’s the least amount I can dose (0.1 ml per hour), and my Alk continues to rise.

I am trying to figure out what to do. Should I reduce Alk additives even more while continuing to add 2.4 ml per day of cal?

Here are my results and graphing over the past few days with the Trident and this was after reducing daily dose from 3.2 to 2.4 ml per day.

2893F098-0E00-4226-98CC-CE86569B42FD.png E739D5C6-EF99-48B0-B38D-C0C1EA67A2D5.png DE400212-943C-4665-800F-28C47045E504.png 7BDBBA65-F821-495D-A206-7A30ADEEAB10.png

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you at the point where you needed too start dosing .? Do you know what your daily uptake is on your tank before you started dosing triton ...I'm assuming you have also checked the calibration on your doser ...

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really good with apex readings ..but it looks like your Magnesium was and still is low

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would send in the ICP test now, I see no reason to wait on the main 3 to stabilize,
or get to your desired level.

Just test the 3 make a note, take the sample, and send it in, compare the ICP results, with your notes, see if they match.
Will be curious if you will have high Tin, seems everyone does.
(My opinion here) ICP testing in regards to Tin levels may not be accurate. I read long dry articles here on the subject and that was my conclusion, you may come to a different one.

You said your Trident is new, when did you, or have you, calibrated it?
Just curious. My Trident has been spot on from the start but I had it in service for a week before calibration. Seems that's the recommended way with a new unit.

I recommend not changing dosing levels or anything right now, wait two weeks from your last adjustment, do your routine water change, wait another 24 hours, test and adjust as needed. Repeat.

I would leave the dosing at equal parts as recommended.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with your doser, but I think that you are able to dilute the Triton elements. @Tim@Triton would be able to confirm, but it might also be somewhere in their documentation.

OP
OP
CSJIII

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would send in the ICP test now, I see no reason to wait on the main 3 to stabilize,
or get to your desired level.

Just test the 3 make a note, take the sample, and send it in, compare the ICP results, with your notes, see if they match.
Will be curious if you will have high Tin, seems everyone does.
(My opinion here) ICP testing in regards to Tin levels may not be accurate. I read long dry articles here on the subject and that was my conclusion, you may come to a different one.

You said your Trident is new, when did you, or have you, calibrated it?
Just curious. My Trident has been spot on from the start but I had it in service for a week before calibration. Seems that's the recommended way with a new unit.

I recommend not changing dosing levels or anything right now, wait two weeks from your last adjustment, do your routine water change, wait another 24 hours, test and adjust as needed. Repeat.

I would leave the dosing at equal parts as recommended.

I sent in the test this morning. Don’t know how long it takes. Things are growing and seem happy but I worry my alk is way high. As far as you suggesting water changes.....I haven’t done a change since I started the triton system. My tank is only about 3 months old with small frags and 7 fish so the uptake isn’t much as of yet.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started my tank I think it was about a year or so before I needed too start dosing ..before that it was just weekly water changes of 15% ...obviously if all depends on how fast you stock your tank and with what ...but a lot of people will tell you always go slow if you're a beginner....i think products on the market today make it all seem easy and possible to grow full tanks of coral in like a week ....(I really over exaggerate a lot )...at 3 months your tank is very young and at your own admission with few corals ...I'm not at all knocking what you are doing by dosing now ....it can be done....but a simple 10% water change once a week or 2 is just as good at this stage ....that's just my opinion of course ...and I love Triton I've been using it for 3 years on my tank...and probably not the answer your looking for ...but we are all here too help ..

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in the test this morning. Don’t know how long it takes. Things are growing and seem happy but I worry my alk is way high. As far as you suggesting water changes.....I haven’t done a change since I started the triton system. My tank is only about 3 months old with small frags and 7 fish so the uptake isn’t much as of yet.

That's great. I would give it a week to 10 days for results.
Once you get the results don't panic and do a bunch of stuff.
Do some research, share your results, ask around and then make a list of actions.

No water changes, yea the big sell on Triton. I for one did not believe that even before I started my tank. I also never had the intention of not doing water changes.
This may be the result after a year or two with a well aged Triton ran system but not before. (IMO that is), but I have not found that instance yet with the research I did.

Every ICP test that I have done and others that I have seen here and other forums, have always come back with a recommended WC schedule. Then they want to retest and the next set of results have a WC schedule.
If I have that wrong readers then please correct me.

My tank is set up on a auto water change regimen, because it makes common sense to me. 10% a month so not a lot but still done.

As you have stated things are growing and seem happy.
So let them be growing and happy. Keep an eye on the ALK and if things decline then make an adjustment.

R2R has a new thread as of today.

Click Here

Most common advice from the most experienced SUCESFUL people here in R2R.
Patience.
Stability.
DON'T chase numbers.

Your tank is new and unsettled and will be all over the place for quite a while.
When Coraline begins to grow watch what happens to the big 3 then.

OP
OP
CSJIII

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that! I was doing water changes for the cycle, then when I started adding livestock is when I set up for triton. I haven’t been doing water changes because I have the Red Sea salt with the high 11.5 Alk. I should get a bucket of the salt with the 7.5 Alk and do some water changes. Things have been very stable, just a little off of what I would like.

I know triton doses all 4 parts equally, I just don’t want my calcium and magnesium to keep going down as I reduce my Alk to 7.5ish over the course of a few weeks.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are Triton supplements for bringing all 3 back in line ... if they are out ...that way you can keep dosing equally

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my system, I do not dose equal parts of Triton.
Not what I recommended to you but I will fall on the old adage of don't do as I do.
I had my original tank leak. So my system is not properly set up at all.
New tank, sump, skimmer, is still under construction.

I have a 110G with a mechanical filter, two Gyres no sump no skimmer.
Two fish a Potters angel, and a Bangai Cardinal.
Two shrimp, and 9 giant Trochus snails now.
Just a few corals, mushrooms, Zoas, Blasto, and a Green Hammer.
60+ pounds of rock.
Tropic Marin Pro salt and Triton Core 7
Coraline growing like mad
Use two Apex dos.

My parameters sit at
ALK 9.4 Dosing at 60Ml a day 3A,B combined
CA 480 Dosing at 22Ml a day
MG 1350 Dosing at 34Ml a day
Has been like this for three months or more now.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugly but working temp Tank....
Temp Tank.jpg

New 137G tank
New Tank.jpg

New sump, skimmer, and existing RO/DI

RO-DI new sump and skimmer.jpg
RO-DI new sump and skimmer.jpg

OP
OP
CSJIII

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my system, I do not dose equal parts of Triton.
Not what I recommended to you but I will fall on the old adage of don't do as I do.
I had my original tank leak. So my system is not properly set up at all.
New tank, sump, skimmer, is still under construction.

I have a 110G with a mechanical filter, two Gyres no sump no skimmer.
Two fish a Potters angel, and a Bangai Cardinal.
Two shrimp, and 9 giant Trochus snails now.
Just a few corals, mushrooms, Zoas, Blasto, and a Green Hammer.
60+ pounds of rock.
Tropic Marin Pro salt and Triton Core 7
Coraline growing like mad
Use two Apex dos.

My parameters sit at
ALK 9.4 Dosing at 60Ml a day 3A,B combined
CA 480 Dosing at 22Ml a day
MG 1350 Dosing at 34Ml a day
Has been like this for three months or more now.

Are you serious about dosing 60ml a day of 3 A and B? The packaging only contains 100ml. I’ve been dosing 2.4 ml and fully understand I’m not socked.

607E6A2F-A8BE-4DF1-BDA4-BE0DF29FE894.jpeg 045F1EF2-4361-43DC-8B72-9BE2F47EC721.jpeg 0A52F999-1DC2-4393-90C7-0D56EB484EB7.jpeg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CSJIII
Yes 60 Ml a day.
My Core7 came in 1 liter or 1000 ml milk type cartons.
Part 1 and 2 are liquid.
3A,B are in powder form and mixed with 1000ml RO/DI water.
Lasts me several months.
I know the latest sets have changed since I purchased mine.
My stock is older and part 1 is Mag, Part 2 is Ca and 3A,B is the ALK.

I think I know why your stuff might be rising even though your reducing the dose.
Did you MIX it with the right amount of RO/DI water?
I don't know what you bought but all the Core7 is to be mixed with RO/DI making a 1000ml total of dosing solution. Even the latest stuff on the retail shelves.
Click here

Regardless of the way you bought it I hope you read the instructions that came with your product, or on the carton itself. Triton has changed the game a few times and it is not the same each time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CSJIII

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I read it and mixed properly. Mine came 100 ml size. Parts 3 were mixed with RODI to equal 100ml

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these are beakers I have, and my hand.
On the left is 100ml the right is 1000.

Beakers.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it should be mixed to make 1000ml

I hope your just missing a zero.

When and where did you buy your Core7?

These are the instructions for the current version that I think you have.

Preparing the Base Elements.
Base Elements1: The powder should be added to 9L RODI and mixed until fully dissolved (warming the RODI can help) then topped up to make10L. <-- that's 1000ml
Base Elements2: Add the liquid to 9L RODI
BaseElements3A: Add the liquid to 9L RODI
BaseElements3B: Add the liquid to 9L RODI

Bottle Contents
Number1=Alkalinity+Traces
Number2=Calcium+Traces
Number3A=Magnesium+Traces
Number3B=Magnesium+Traces

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back