Emergency tank switch.

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have found that my current tank has a leak in it which leaks quite abit so I bought a 60 gallon tank I'm currently filling the 60 gallon some of my concerns.

My levels will not be the same cause of how fast I need to do this

My inverts will die from the switch

My maroon clown will not enjoy the bubble tip anemones anymore

My coral will die

My lights will not give off enough light.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just transfer everything over to the new tank. Don't start with all new water. Just transfer everything over except for the sand. All parameters should pretty much stay the same. Just monitor.

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just transfer everything over to the new tank. Don't start with all new water. Just transfer everything over except for the sand. All parameters should pretty much stay the same. Just monitor.

I'm going from a 30 to a 60

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Just use your old water and put some of your live rock (assuming you have live rock). Put the water, live rock and corals, anemone, fish last.
All the levels should be the same as you're using your old water. Just adjust your dosing appropriately.
Are you going to get a bigger tank soon? Or fix the old one? You could even set these all up in a brute container temporarily.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump? You could use your same sump on the 20 and keep some more of your rock in the sump until you get your 60 back up.
In January I moved my 75, drained completely to a friend's and set it back up as I was moving out of state.

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Just use your old water and put some of your live rock (assuming you have live rock). Put the water, live rock and corals, anemone, fish last.
All the levels should be the same as you're using your old water. Just adjust your dosing appropriately.
Are you going to get a bigger tank soon? Or fix the old one? You could even set these all up in a brute container temporarily.

So I have a. Rand new 60 gallon. All the stuff is I. Like a 20-30. I can't take much water out of the smaller tank because it is almost all the water and almost nothing in the 60 gallon. I have a RO system

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm confused. Is the water in your 20 from the 60 gallon? Or is it all new water?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use as much water from the old system as possible. You can move everything over but just not the sand.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the 60 is leaking you will have to move everything to the 20. Did most of the water already leak out?

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's talking about switching over to the new 60g from the smaller tank that's leaking.

Yes this is what is happening I had a small 20 and I am now upgrading to a 60. If the other way around that would be easy

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's talking about switching over to the new 60g from the smaller tank that's leaking.
Thanks for that. If thats the case it will just be like a big water change. Use all the water from the smaller tank and the rest new water.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is what is happening I had a small 20 and I am now upgrading to a 60. If the other way around that would be easy

I think it should be fine, make up the requiring water fresh. Salinity & temp should match and it will be fine. Everything will look ticked off, it'll be like you buying an anemone from the store and throwing it in your tank. Different parameters but everything should be fine. The reason we don't reuse sand is because of all the nasty build up in it, can cause a lot of problems once stirred.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the rocks will take up some room so it will hopefully be like a 50% water change. As long as you're using the same salt mix you should be ok.
I just moved 70 corals from my old tank in Florida to new tank in Tennessee. Had no time to acclimate and after driving for 12 hours was too tired.
Everything just went in to new tank and I hoped for the best... So far so good.

OP
OP
Justin poirier

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the rocks will take up some room so it will hopefully be like a 50% water change. As long as you're using the same salt mix you should be ok.
I just moved 70 corals from my old tank in Florida to new tank in Tennessee. Had no time to acclimate and after driving for 12 hours was too tired.
Everything just went in to new tank and I hoped for the best... So far so good.

Good good. Only concern now is it not being cloudy tomorrow afternoon

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 56 47.5%
  • Full frame

Votes: 23 19.5%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 44 37.3%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back