Expensive $500 Holy Grail Torch Arrived from Vendor Covered in Glue (& worms) What are your thoughts?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a closer look with the magnifier , definitely look like they splintered with framing and the glue ring around the head is just extra reinforcement holding the pieces together … no it was completed healthy in the photo and no glue , even spoke to them on the phone before placing the order …. Will definitely try to get a replacement
As others mentioned a split skeleton is not necessarily the kiss of death. If the head flesh splits then the op could end up with two torch fragments. Simple math means that he got n extra $500 torch for free.
If this is the case, definitely get a replacement or refund. That's not a healthy coral at this point.
Yes, the op should focus on providing the best possible water quality, currents, lighting & feeding to help the coral recover.
I think a more accurate reponse would have been to contact the vendor prior to posting here, if that wasn't done. Wait for a response, communicate back if any concerns, then maybe post.

Another thing to note is that the frag is still alive. Is a refund or replacement warranted?
If successful, the op can send back one head and keep the split for free. I have had a fragging mishap with a split bubble coral and both halves survived and thrived so that I had 2 healthy corals when I was done.

Always hope for the best and do what you can with the parameters you have control over. The sloppy sellers response is not in our control.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the op should focus on providing the best possible water quality, currents, lighting & feeding to help the coral recover.
I mean, yes, obviously. If it's not dead, what else would he do? ....... lol

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If successful, the op can send back one head and keep the split for free. I have had a fragging mishap with a split bubble coral and both halves survived and thrived so that I had 2 healthy corals when I was done.

I think that would be one compromise for sure. Or if they are not comfortable with shipping then maybe work out a small payment. Both parties win I think is the direction you are going.

Maybe win isn't the correct word to use but hopefully everyone gets the idea. Hope everyone is having a great day. If it isn't going well then let us hope it gets better. All the best!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back