Expensive $500 Holy Grail Torch Arrived from Vendor Covered in Glue (& worms) What are your thoughts?

mark007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, don't say or this thread will be shut down.
I got coral, too
cdefdf1e329524bbacdfd3d5a969f7c3.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, unless he wants to heal the frag.
My impression was that most of the people responding were saying 'get your money back, return it'. I toss my hat in the ring - if I had that coral - I would ask for a replacement/return.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't already, contact the vendor ASAP, even if just to voice your concern and get their take on the situation. Most have a DOA policy, but the longer you wait to talk to the vendor, the less likely they'll be willing to work with you.

Make sure to get pictures under white lights, it is too hard to see anything under all blues.

It could just be shoddy workmanship where the extra glue floated up the stalk once it was put it water, and you don't have much to worry about. Or it could be more malicious and they are trying to cover up that they split the skeleton. Impossible to tell when pictures are taken under blue lights. Either way, if it wasn't clearly shown in the photos, an honest seller would be willing to discuss.

Best of luck, hope it all works out for you.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that it's worth much, the only torch that has done well in my tank showed up cracked down the side (with no covering glue). It has a couple of heads now but it took a very long time.

Doesn't make the situation any better, but worse comes to worse I wouldn't count it out completely

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is there a reason you wrote it in Chinese?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking at that makes you think it's splintered? (not doubting, I'm just inexperienced and want to learn!)
Hi there! Please feel free to question anything I say. I am not an expert or anyone important in the hobby. (Though I'd question the experts sometimes too. :grinning-squinting-face:)
My thought on this is because I see glue going vertically up the stalk of the frag. Coral like these have very porous skeletons, and when cut with cutters, instead of a saw, they sometimes split vertically. This can severely stress the coral and cause it to perish. (Though they do make it sometimes.) Here is an adjusted pic of the original that the op (original poster) posted. Happy Reefing!
PSX_20230714_104237~2.jpg

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My theory is they fragged it with bone cutters, split the stalk vertically, and the polyp fell out. Then they glued it all back together. Again, just my theory.
This is 100% what I thought when I first saw it.

This thing looks absolutely awful, and I would be ticked if I had paid for that thing.

IMHO, you should not ever sell a frag in this condition for top dollar. I'd be shocked if that thing lasted a week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back