OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I emptied the tank and turned off all equipment.

Removing the rockwork, I found my two Synchiropus ocellatus, they were not doing all that well, but have been doing a lot better since they are now in the QT.
The sand and bottom of the rockwork had some black spots, lot of stuff dying I guess. The smell is awful..
Tonight I am planning on removing the remaining water and start cleaning all equipment for future use.

Any tips on how the clean the rockwork and will I be able to re-use it?

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Not a lot has changed since last weeks update. My QT is doing relatively good, but did have to remove some rockwork with dying corals on it (GSP).

Vortechs have been cleaned and are ready for the re-build, already have 8 gallons of NSW at hand to start filling the tank back up. But not even close to that stage yet...
Work has been busy, so no real time to work on cleaning the tank and equipment, besides the Vortechs.

I did decide to make some changes to the set up, nothing mayor, since I believe my equipment is fairly good.

So which route did I decide on:
Method: Will continue with Triton Core7, but doser will be changed to 2x APEX DOS
Return: Probably will upgrade to Vortech M1 and will add battery back-up for more security.
Redundancy: Add more float switches for additional control and safety. Unfortunately, no room for emergency drain, so float switch to turn of return and set off alarm in case drain gets clogged.
Sump: Add additional chamber and will run filter socks
Refugium: New grow light is already in, with higher PAR-output, so macro-algae will grow better
Filtering: Besides the macro algae, I will add ZeoVit (small amount), for additional nutrient export.

LFS is nice enough so I can change my RealReefRock for new rocks, old rock is currently on the balcony, drying out, will clean it thoroughly and than change it.
For the aquascape I am looking for using some branching RRR, to lift the scape. This would improve flow and prevent stuff from rotting out of sight.
Since I will be using RealReefRock again, I will be adding RedSea Live Sand from the start. I do not expect a lot of stuff coming out of the RRR, certainly not after rinsing the rocks.

For tonight I am planning to finalize the cleaning of tamp, sump and equipment.
After that I will slowly start building again, doing some proper wire management this time around.

William Gogo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hate to say this but I had some of the same problems that u did I lost some huge colonies and it was all because I tried something new and the amount of food I introduced to my system which has been running problem free for over a year, I thought I would never be that guy who had a minor crash. I tossed out about 2gals worth of dead coral, such a sad 3 weeks my last ditch was taking out almost all my water and start fresh and it worked everything worked out and I'm back to running my normal settings. But I did have to put up my 10gal QT for my high end coral just had to make sure PH salinity and temp was good and did weekly WC and ran carbon and bare bottom. Well I wish u the best and keep on reefing cuz god knows I want to toss in the towel lol

IMG_1209.JPG

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hate to say this but I had some of the same problems that u did I lost some huge colonies and it was all because I tried something new and the amount of food I introduced to my system which has been running problem free for over a year, I thought I would never be that guy who had a minor crash. I tossed out about 2gals worth of dead coral, such a sad 3 weeks my last ditch was taking out almost all my water and start fresh and it worked everything worked out and I'm back to running my normal settings. But I did have to put up my 10gal QT for my high end coral just had to make sure PH salinity and temp was good and did weekly WC and ran carbon and bare bottom. Well I wish u the best and keep on reefing cuz god knows I want to toss in the towel lol

IMG_1209.JPG

Sorry to hear that and thanks for sharing and the support.
This weekend I finished cleaning most of the equipment (just some probes need to be cleaned but are currently in QT.
Thursday and Friday will be my days off, so will clean out the sump (so much junk in there... And the smell...)

DT is already cleaned, just a wipe down for the last bits and than this will be good to go.

For the rebuild I am going to make some minor modifications on the sump, redo all the plumbing and do some proper measurements before adding livestock.
So going to spend a day playing with Radion-settings, measuring PAR throughout the tank, so I will be much better prepared.

Also feel that my returnpump was a bit overkill, so will dial that one down a bit as well. So main flow will come from my two MP10's. All in all, I expect to spend a few weeks on rebuilding and testing settings. After that, I will let the tank run for at least a month to cycle. During this period I will measure Alk, PO4 and NO3 once a week, after this month, I will measure Alk daily, getting my doser tuned in. PO4 and NO3 will be weekly routine.

Only upgrade I feel I have to do is exchange my ATI 6-channel doser for 2 Apex DOS-units. Especially with the CORE7, precision is essential, especially on a smaller tank.

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And again, some progress has been made. Just ordered the new PVC-parts and a Magic Muffler, my overflow is kinda tight, so a full durso or other style overflow/drain is not really possible.
Hopefully the Magic Muffler will make the drain silent.

Also the glass for the sump has been ordered, so can work on it when I receive it. The changes I intend to make, should make the system more quiet and also added an option of filtersocks, so polishing the water before going into the refugium.

All in all I am getting more excited now, after a few bad weeks I can look forward again.

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And since me and the mrs. split up last week, no need for me to rush anything.

Should be good for the thank that I will have more time, attention and money to spend on the tank. Later this week I will work on stocklist, so suggestions are appreciated! For corals as well as fish...

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And since me and the mrs. split up last week, no need for me to rush anything.

I'm so sorry, when it rains it pours...

Best of luck on your rebuild, and sometimes it's nice to have a fresh start...in many parts of our lives.

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cleaning the rockwork in tap-water for a week, drying in the sun for another week, the rocks are now in RO-DI with GFO and Carbon.

IMG_0686.JPG
Powerhead for flow, so rocks will be clean before setting up the tank again.

Also the MarinPur block is in there (due to space it was cut in two) for additional biological filtration.

Not sure how long I will let it sit here, probably some 3 days, with a full water change after day 2.

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last day at work before a long weekend... Getting really excited now the moment of building is getting closer.
Still have a ton of work to do on the tank as well, and really clean the sump. But in my mind I am already building and stocking the tank.

So I want to thank all the guys that replied and helped me to look ahead, this really is a great community!

Will do my best to make pictures tomorrow, so I can post them while/after I am building.

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is time for an update.

Did not get as much work done as I would have liked, not all the parts were ready, but fairly pleased with the result of the work on Thursday and Friday.

And the best part; water is running again!

Done with cleaning of the tank, sump and equipment. Everything was installed again, but need to address the wire management.

Picked up some branches, which I will use to elevate the scape for better flow and less detritus build up in the sand bed.

New lighting for the fuge and alternative route for return hose. Not yet connected to DT, but cycling through the sump.

DT is almost ready, still waiting for live sand and last pieces for overflow, before I can start doing the full cycle.

Added the MarinePur block in the sump and started the cycle with natural seawater. Skimmer on only during the night for pH control and breaking in.

Quick overview before I put back the doors of the cabinet.
Not looking forward to do the wire management, but have to do it soon. This is an accident waiting to happen...

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time:

Fish are still doing well in QT. Even the foxface is starting to look happier (still have to get him to the LFS, but it is such a nice fish...)
Sump is cycling and I am assuming that this will help in the cycling of the full system.

I have also decided to bite the bullet on the KH Monitor, this will be coupled to my Apex and dosing will be done through DOS, with Triton Core7.
KH Monitor will take about two weeks to get delivered, so in that time, I can finish plumbing and scaping.

Unfortunately, still no sign of the Red Sea live Reef sand, will wait for this to arrive, before I fill the full system. Also think I will chance the RRR for new pieces, so scaping will take some additional time as well.

Som much to do and enjoy, what a great hobby this is!

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, 4th of July; Happy Liberation Day to all...

And time for an update, tank has been filled with Natural Seawater (15 Gallons) and close to 25 gallons of seawater using Red Sea Blue Bucket salt. Currently, the tank has been running for about 10 days, and since two days I am seeing some diatoms.
Aquascape has been made using dead rock and real reef rock. With the addition of some live rock and a marinepur block in the sump.

Saturday I used my Exact iDip for the first time and think I still need to get used to it. But it does work rather well, got all the measurements done within half an hour or so...

Alk: 7
Ca: 400
Mg: 1150
NH: 0
NO3: 25
PO4: 0.18

So not too bad, will do some more measurements today, to see how it goes...

Besides the measurements, I would also like to thank Neptune for their great support with my PMK, got some strange measurements and after some emails and a skype-session, they concluded that something was wrong with the unit, so got it exchanged and received the new unit last Friday.
This will make adjusting my Radions much easier and will prevent my from burning any more corals.
Currently running the SPS-program from CoralLab at 35% and have a Par-value of around 175 at the sandbed in the center of the tank. So will need to adjust to a lower setting once corals are being placed...

Pictures will follow end of the week.

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I will get my second powerbar for the Apex and two times a DOS. Will let you guys know how the set up goes.
Furthermore, the diatoms are receding. So it seems the cycling is progressing nicely.

Tomorrow, I will have a day off, so will be able to write a bit longer and share some pictures. Also will make time to do a full water test, with the iDip. Let's see if I can get good results.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far. Just keep taking your time, and your focus on the fundamentals will pay off huge for you soon.

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far. Just keep taking your time, and your focus on the fundamentals will pay off huge for you soon.

Thanks! I will try, but is still hard to keep patience. Still have those moments where I walk around in LFS and want to buy way more than is good for me. But will remain strong, might buy some livestock and put in QT-tank, so it will be ready for display once the display is ready...

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea, a good way to take the edge off and also have some life to look at and enjoy while you wait. Just remember any time you add anything to the same qt you restart your clock.

OP
OP
sebastiaan1985

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops.... The day off went by way faster than I thought... Got caught up in a lot of other stuff around the house, so the tank was a bit neglected. Didn't even have time to set up the new additional equipment.

But did manage to add the powerbar and DOS the past few evenings and even did a bit of cable management, although there is still a lot to do in that department.

So the before.... Kind of embarrassing actually and not as safe as it should be...

So two DOS units need to fit somewhere on the board.

Guess I can call this an improvement, although I am not where I want it to be. Still some holes to drill and cables to redo.

Any idea why one of the status lights on the bottom DOS is off?

Also Fusion is acting up... Why is it labelled 'RADION_10_17'?? And how can I change it?

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.PNG

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change it in the apex dashboard that you access by typing in the ip address on the apex from your home network.
Change it there then unplug your apex for about 5 minutes, it will force fusion to make an update from the base unit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back