Glasshole over flow question

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I get ready to plumb this tank I have, it has a glass-holes overflow dual 1-1/2" drains.

Is there a way to make it silent? Where the tank is sitting, the back is somewhat exposed to the kitchen and I don't want the gurgling noise to be heard.

If I cant get it silent I will have to get a different tank and I really don't have the time for that.

Would adding gate valves to the drain and tuning it solve that?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 60 gallon cube years ago with a glass holes overflow and could never get it very quiet. Ended up selling the tank bc of the noise.

Mine only had a single drain though. How are the dual drains setup? If you can setup one as the main and have a standpipe in the other as an emergency drain then putting a valve on the main drain should allow you to tune the overflow to get fairly quiet.

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 60 gallon cube years ago with a glass holes overflow and could never get it very quiet. Ended up selling the tank bc of the noise.

Mine only had a single drain though. How are the dual drains setup? If you can setup one as the main and have a standpipe in the other as an emergency drain then putting a valve on the main drain should allow you to tune the overflow to get fairly quiet.
There is 2 elbows coming out , like the single style. They are on the back of the tank so I dont think that would work and there isnt enough room inside the box to do a stand pipe

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, gate valve is a must if you want silence! Go with the Herbie drain, here's a reference from MarineDepot... I have the same setup and it's dead silent.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is 2 elbows coming out , like the single style. They are on the back of the tank so I dont think that would work and there isnt enough room inside the box to do a stand pipe
Oh, that's a different story. You'll need an external overflow box in that case.

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, ignore me, I apparently need more coffee! I either didn't read or misunderstood your post, my setup is internal and has space for the herbie. ....Off to the coffemaker!
I appreciate your willingness to help

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have the 1500 glassholes overflow. The first thing you want to play with are the two tubes in the elbows behind the overflow. The very first thing I'd do is make sure salt deposits haven't block the ends of the tubes. I actually have a thin metal rod that I use to plunge the tubes, which I might do once or twice a year. You could actually straighten a metal hanger and use that to plunge. If the ends are open, and you still have noise, try moving the tubes up or down. And finally, if the noise is coming from the flow into your sump, you can play with the pipe length into the sump or add something like a reverse durso, simply made with pipe parts. I'll also add a link in a couple minutes what I did with my sump....

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back! Ok, the modifications I did to my drains was more for eliminating bubbles, but would also reduce gurgling noise, if that is where you noise is coming from. The right drain has, what I call, a Rube Goldberg. Here's what it looks like:

1614179038984.png

1614179069626.png

This wouldn't fit on the left side because the drain goes into a 7 inch sock, so it's just a straight pipe. Here it is without the sock so you can see it:

1614179168851.png

If you go to THIS POST, you can see all the things I tried but couldn't use because they wouldn't fit in the sock.

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent even filled the tank yet, and I am leary that this glass holes overflow is going to be a headache. Between the Noise of the overflow and the 1-1/2" plumbing I am wondering if I should just look into a different tank

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some have issues with noise, but I've only had slight noise issues when those tubes get clogged. I love my Glass-holes. I'm not sure if you're aware, they are now out of business.....more or less a garage operation with two engineers.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back