Hifin goby

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redbird5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Redbird5

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
773
Reaction score
419
Location
Metro East St. Louis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two of them. They are really cool fish, but I'm having no luck keeping them. I'm unsure as to why. They last about a month in my aquarium
One died when my nitrates were 0 and my lfs and concluded that I was feeding the bacteria enough. He was very small, maybe an inch.

My current hfg has been MIA since Thursday. He was full grown and eating fine and one day just vanished. I'm not going to look for him yet. I read that they might sneak into the filtration system. I haven't checked it yet. I know hunting for him could stress him out.

I'm looking for advice on what these guys need. I have nice rocks for them to hide under. I feed them brine and mysis shrimp. No shrimp buddy yet, but that’s no mandatory.

I have a solid lid on my aquarium. I keep closed. I talk to them. All my fish get to watch baseball. I've never shown them finding Nemo.
 
Fish don't really care about nutrients in the water like corals do, I'm not sure why your LFS stated that. Hi Fin Gobies are a carnivorous fish, so feeding them meaty foods will be fine.
If you haven't seen your other, I'd try to find it. If it has perished, you don't want that rotting in your tank.
 
I would check your sump. I have had them in there before. I had one paired with a pistol shrimp. The goby was lost and the pistol shrimp was in the tank for three years and I never knew about it till the tank got tore down and livestock sent back to LFS.
 
I would check your sump. I have had them in there before. I had one paired with a pistol shrimp. The goby was lost and the pistol shrimp was in the tank for three years and I never knew about it till the tank got tore down and livestock sent back to LFS.
I checked my filter at lunch. Nothing there, but I might have to go through the rocks and see if he's there.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new