Ich Again!!!!

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys my tank once crashed because of Ich and I lost everything. I cleaned the entire tank out and restarted. I QT my first batch of fish and everything was fine. I got more fish on Thursday and they were put in QT. Someone in my family, put the fish because they looked OK in the main DT today afternoon around 5. I came home just now and saw the Blue tang and blue ring angelfish with white spots on them, the blue tang especially. I also found some spots on my yellow fox face. I immediately took them out and put them back into the QT and put some more ICH medicine. My concern is the main tank, not sure if I’m overthinking or if I see white stuff swimming around to be ICH spores. I increased the temp to 85, it’s at 79 so far. Will I be ok? What should I do? After my crash I’m crap scared, please help me out!!!!

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys my tank once crashed because of Ich and I lost everything. I cleaned the entire tank out and restarted. I QT my first batch of fish and everything was fine. I got more fish on Thursday and they were put in QT. Someone in my family, put the fish because they looked OK in the main DT today afternoon around 5. I came home just now and saw the Blue tang and blue ring angelfish with white spots on them, the blue tang especially. I also found some spots on my yellow fox face. I immediately took them out and put them back into the QT and put some more ICH medicine. My concern is the main tank, not sure if I’m overthinking or if I see white stuff swimming around to be ICH spores. I increased the temp to 85, it’s at 79 so far. Will I be ok? What should I do? After my crash I’m crap scared, please help me out!!!!
Pics of fish with ICH.

Attachments

• 342B56C5-1C81-482A-B7BE-B72F8731758A.jpeg
    342B56C5-1C81-482A-B7BE-B72F8731758A.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 189
  • B609037B-CAAC-4C67-90BA-37BC6C8C7D9A.jpeg
    B609037B-CAAC-4C67-90BA-37BC6C8C7D9A.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 186
OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if u can’t treat the DT I’d monitor the fish already there and treat if need be w the QT.
I increased the temp in the DT, and currently no signs of ICH on them, will montitor daily. Hoping that since the infected fish were only in there for 6 hours it won’t be so bad. What do you think?

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns and damsels should hold their own - they’re hardy as can be.

As long as you don’t see spots on the fish, don’t worry too much about it. Don’t want to unnecessarily stress the fish out.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. Unfortunately, It does look like ich in the photo. Can you clarify the following.

1) How long did you run the tank fallow after the first tank crash?

2) What is your current QT protocol and meds you are using to treat?

3) Did you remove all fish and/or before raising temp to 85?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Somebody that isn't you, just looked at Your fish in the quarantine tank, and decided to catch Your fish, and release them into another tank?

How does that happen?
Yes, someone that isn’t me, must have figured the fish look OK so it’s better to move them into a bigger tank. Someone that is me is still learning all this so the someone that isn’t me had no ideas. I just got home to this so still figuring out why they did that. If you can help great but man I don’t need any more stress right now.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. Unfortunately, It does look like ich in the photo. Can you clarify the following.

1) How long did you run the tank fallow after the first tank crash?

2) What is your current QT protocol and meds you are using to treat?

3) Did you remove all fish and/or before raising temp to 85?
Hey thanks man!
1. I completely emptied my tank, cleaned with some bleach let it run for 10 hrs, filled it with clean water let it run for a few days. Filled it with vinegar water, let it run for a day, used clean water and let it run for a few days, changing water every day. Removed and threw away all sand and rocks. Let it dry for a few days before filling with bottled salt water to be sure the second time. Purchased new sand and live rocks a few days ago.
2. currently I use the all cure powder and ICH medication from imaginatrium, and API salt.
3. the two clown fish, damsels and tang along with new longnose hawkfish are in the DT with the increased temp.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks man!
1. I completely emptied my tank, cleaned with some bleach let it run for 10 hrs, filled it with clean water let it run for a few days. Filled it with vinegar water, let it run for a day, used clean water and let it run for a few days, changing water every day. Removed and threw away all sand and rocks. Let it dry for a few days before filling with bottled salt water to be sure the second time. Purchased new sand and live rocks a few days ago.
2. currently I use the all cure powder and ICH medication from imaginatrium, and API salt.
3. the two clown fish, damsels and tang along with new longnose hawkfish are in the DT with the increased temp.
Okay. Thanks for the info. Ich can only be eradicated with copper (copper power or cupramine) or you can treat with chloroquine phosphate but it is hard to source. You will need to run your DT fallow for 45 days but make sure the temperature doesn't fall under 80.6 degrees the entire time. So you'll need to pull all your remaining fish out and place them in QT. 85 degrees will be harsh for the fish so I would avoid that.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely ich which will have to be treated in a separate quarantine setting using coppersafe and treated at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 at 80 degrees for a full 30 days monitored with a reliable copper test kit- no api brand
Other occupants likely will need to be treated also and display tank left fishless for 45-60 days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I increased the temp in the DT, and currently no signs of ICH on them, will montitor daily. Hoping that since the infected fish were only in there for 6 hours it won’t be so bad. What do you think?

Just to add:

Do NOT increase the temperature in the DT! That is bad advice, based on treatment of freshwater ich, which is a different organism. If you raise the temperature in a marine tank to 82, you are taking it to the "sweet spot" for marine ich and it makes the infection worse.

You mentioned thinking you could see ich swimming in the tank - that is something else, you cannot see ich theronts without a microscope.

I agree with copper for all fish and let the DT lay fallow. Even if your existing fish never really show symptoms, they could be harboring it, and it could then attack any new fish you add later on.

Jay

Blindface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear this. Are you running a UV? I know that even with preventative means like QTs. Parasites can always find their way back. Running a large UV correctly really can make a HUGE difference (if used correctly) in keeping the population extremely low.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear this. Are you running a UV? I know that even with preventative means like QTs. Parasites can always find their way back. Running a large UV correctly really can make a HUGE difference (if used correctly) in keeping the population extremely low.
No I think I will need to purchase one, any suggestions for a 200 gallon?

Back