Ich Again!!!!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys my tank once crashed because of Ich and I lost everything. I cleaned the entire tank out and restarted. I QT my first batch of fish and everything was fine. I got more fish on Thursday and they were put in QT. Someone in my family, put the fish because they looked OK in the main DT today afternoon around 5. I came home just now and saw the Blue tang and blue ring angelfish with white spots on them, the blue tang especially. I also found some spots on my yellow fox face. I immediately took them out and put them back into the QT and put some more ICH medicine. My concern is the main tank, not sure if I’m overthinking or if I see white stuff swimming around to be ICH spores. I increased the temp to 85, it’s at 79 so far. Will I be ok? What should I do? After my crash I’m crap scared, please help me out!!!!
White stuff is likely not ich spores, you cannot see that stage of ich, too small. Although there is likely ich in there now if the fish had it.

you do not have to overheat the water, nor do you have to recycle/mess with the tank. Just fallow it (go without fish), otherwise it may have to be re-cycled. Feed your CUC in the meanwhile too (ich cannot infect anything but fish). You can also go with Ich management after treatment if you cannot fallow as a few people have said

Params?

What ich meds do you use? Anything but copper is basically snake oil.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys my tank once crashed because of Ich and I lost everything. I cleaned the entire tank out and restarted. I QT my first batch of fish and everything was fine. I got more fish on Thursday and they were put in QT. Someone in my family, put the fish because they looked OK in the main DT today afternoon around 5. I came home just now and saw the Blue tang and blue ring angelfish with white spots on them, the blue tang especially. I also found some spots on my yellow fox face. I immediately took them out and put them back into the QT and put some more ICH medicine. My concern is the main tank, not sure if I’m overthinking or if I see white stuff swimming around to be ICH spores. I increased the temp to 85, it’s at 79 so far. Will I be ok? What should I do? After my crash I’m crap scared, please help me out!!!!
1. You're overthinking the floating 'stuff'.
2. You do need to treat the fish - and the suggestion would be COPPER.
3. A picture to document that its actually be sure its 'ich'
4. Not sure why you're increasing the temperature in your DT to 85 - if you're leaving it fallow (which you will need to do) - for 45-76 days - people usually say 81 - if there are no inverts.
5. What did you 'treat' with for 'ich' before? Many of them are simply 'not effective' - or perhaps you treated 'too quickly'.
6. Not to sound harsh - you should make it clear to your 'family' - not to touch the tank - unless you tell them to:)

Best wishes - I'm sure you'll beat the problem

EDIT - when I started writing this - the instructions from the others were not here. Other than the recommendation for a UV - I think we're all saying the same thing (I'm not a big believer in UV)

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pentair are commercial grade, oversized is better, 50 or 80 watt UV. I run two oversized UV sterilizers, ozone, and .5 micron sediment filter in canister reactor on my 280 gallon. However, this doesn’t replace QT, I still QT all fish for a minimum of 4 weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No I think I will need to purchase one, any suggestions for a 200 gallon?
A uv will capture new cysts and not preexisting

Blindface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea a UV will just keep population low and manageable…. Assuming your running it at the correct flow. I love my pentair. I just have one return pump dedicated to my UV and another pump for the extra flow needed for the tank. Good luck with the tang, I hope for the best!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea a UV will just keep population low and manageable…. Assuming your running it at the correct flow. I love my pentair. I just have one return pump dedicated to my UV and another pump for the extra flow needed for the tank. Good luck with the tang, I hope for the best!
I disagree. Unless the poster will not be adding any other fish. Once that happens all bets are off. Do you @Blindface have data to suggest something different?

Blindface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. Unless the poster will not be adding any other fish. Once that happens all bets are off. Do you @Blindface have data to suggest something different?
That a UV can keep populations of parasites low? I’m confused by what your asking. What a UV does is make it so the current population of parasites that pass through the UV sterile (under correct flow). I never said it eradicates the population. I also never said it will stop the chances of your fish getting them… just lower them. If your fish is healthy, it will also help with fighting off parasites/infections.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A uv will capture new cysts and not preexisting
UPDATE: Thank you guys for all your advice. I have told EVERYONE! In my home to not touch the fish or any fish tank. I got a 40 gallon tank and moved the 6 fish to it, I lost about 6 fish, 3 yesterday and 3 today, any ideas why? They didn’t seem to have the white spots on them. I purchased Seachem Cupramine and dosed the new QT with Cupramine and also added the API general cure. I also added some API salt after dissolving it in the water to help ease the stress. I have this big blue fish which seems a little skinny on the stomach, I don’t see any white spots but I find some fin areas black, not sure if it was bite by other fish due to the less space, I do see something near the tail, slightly white slightly protruding, not sure what that is. I attached some pics can you guys take a look and help me please.

Attachments

• D4E79E58-4B94-4E50-8D4E-05B49B6A82C9.jpeg
    D4E79E58-4B94-4E50-8D4E-05B49B6A82C9.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 47
  • FC157ACC-EC8A-4925-93B2-95647376722D.jpeg
    FC157ACC-EC8A-4925-93B2-95647376722D.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 37
  • F836BDF5-9782-44C3-8944-8A7C1FD970EE.jpeg
    F836BDF5-9782-44C3-8944-8A7C1FD970EE.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 41
  • CB4DE473-7235-4617-96BA-706AE52630DE.jpeg
    CB4DE473-7235-4617-96BA-706AE52630DE.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 41
  • D4F05388-D2DF-45C1-853C-6B0D3C2D4679.jpeg
    D4F05388-D2DF-45C1-853C-6B0D3C2D4679.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 66C1CF86-0E46-4F1F-AE67-811BF5F69AA5.jpeg
    66C1CF86-0E46-4F1F-AE67-811BF5F69AA5.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I dose my DT with Cupramine to be on the safe side, the fish in there don’t show any signs of ICH and seem fine but maybe to be sure. I didn’t want to move them into the QT and stress them and the existing fish there.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should put some pieces of PVC pipe in the Quarantine to give the fish some places to feel safe and hide
Yes I will get some tomorrow. Also does anyone know what this black stuff is in my sand in the DT. I got the caribsea natural aquarium sand and rinsed it before putting in tank. Is it iron or lead? How do you get rid of it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 51

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Don’t put cupramine in your display! Let it run fallow for 72-76days. I did the 45 day at increase temperature 81 degrees to hurry the process and that only killed my corals. I wish I did the 76 day.

I personally would run a UV and run copper to treat ich. A copper Hanna checker is needed for this

Why did someone just throw in a fish without you present

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I setup a QT, I always take water from the display to fill it, less stress that way.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
When I setup a QT, I alway take water from the display to fill it, less stress that way.
Quarantine is pretty expensive itself. Salt for water changes to keep ammonia down, extra heaters, SPONGE FILTERS, tank, light. It’s a lot of work and effort just to have the sterile process broken later on by introducing inverts or corals not quarantined , yet a fish

I’m not saying don’t do it. I can see why people switch to management

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear this. Are you running a UV? I know that even with preventative means like QTs. Parasites can always find their way back. Running a large UV correctly really can make a HUGE difference (if used correctly) in keeping the population extremely low.

What do you mean the parasite can find their way back? If a qt is done properly and the tank fallow, the parasite will die.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantine is pretty expensive itself. Salt for water changes to keep ammonia down, extra heaters, SPONGE FILTERS, tank, light. It’s a lot of work and effort just to have the sterile process broken later on by introducing inverts or corals not quarantined , yet a fish

I’m not saying don’t do it. I can see why people switch to management

How is it expensive? Its a bin, water, a pump with biosponges, and a heater. That's it. You don't need to do water changes for ammonia. That is what bottled bacteria is for. You can easily set up a QT for $50-$100

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What do you mean the parasite can find their way back? If a qt is done properly and the tank fallow, the parasite will die.
Anything that goes in your tank from this day forward Must be quarantined properly. Not a single drop, that’s where people mess up.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
How is it expensive? Its a bin, water, a pump with biosponges, and a heater. That's it. You don't need to do water changes for ammonia. That is what bottled bacteria is for. You can easily set up a QT for $50-$100
When I set up 2 tanks it was $200 easily for my 15 fish

Okay… not expensive but whoop there’s $200

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back