IM 75INT Basement Build

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what is everybody's thoughts on getting an Apex controller? worth the money?

I love mine. Got it to monitor the ph in my planted tank. Switched to the reef and it's so nice to have. The upfront cost is high, but its worth it in the end. I love being able to monitor my tank where ever I am.

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates! Got the tank down to the basement with the help of a buddy tank is in place, got the sump in the cabinet(eschopps cube) and contemplating using the 20x-high as my ATO reservoir.
20180722_140214.jpg
20180722_140225.jpg

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, it’s rated for up to a 75 gallon display and only takes up 18” x 18”. Leaves a lot of room in there for other things

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so from what I've been seeing with the minimal feedback online is the eschopps sump is weird...some weird flow patterns. Ill definitely be making some mods to it to increase the flow and make it better. Anyone use this sump before?

My plans are to close off the opening in the inlet chamber-this is causing water to drain before it goes through the filter sock-not cool or even useful. Beneath the filter-sock, I will cut some slots for flow to the fuge. After that I will run the pump just internally to see the flow pattern is working. Thoughts from the community?

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a box of rocks!!!
20180726_120957.jpg

Very impressed with the packaging and wrapping of the rocks. Each rock was wrapped individually which resulted in minimal breakage
20180726_121007.jpg

Got some really nice sized pieces a couple big ones that are probably over 12" and a bunch that are softball to grapefruit sized. All in all very happy and cant wait to start scaping. I've got stonefix coming in this afternoon to help with that.
20180726_121757.jpg
20180726_121741.jpg

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and good build thread!

I have the eshopps r-300 sump.
The drain holes are there to overflow in case the sock section clogs.
Believe me, you should be glad it's there (ask me how I know)

Very nice rock. You should be able to create a very nice scape.
Are you adding any more rock or stee you going to use marine pure or something like that for more bio filtration?

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and good build thread!

I have the eshopps r-300 sump.
The drain holes are there to overflow in case the sock section clogs.
Believe me, you should be glad it's there (ask me how I know)

Very nice rock. You should be able to create a very nice scape.
Are you adding any more rock or stee you going to use marine pure or something like that for more bio filtration?

Well now im curious what happened with the overflow/sump?

I wasn't planning on adding any more rock. This is 60lbs and should be plenty. But I may throw some in the sump, and maybe a few different styles so that there is diversity in the porosity but I should be good.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had done maintenance to the D.T. and moved around rock and sand. Caused a dust, sand, detritus storm.
The filter sock picked it all up and clogged.
If not for those slits, I would have had one heck of a flood because the water level in the intake/sock section was within a 8th inch from running over and out the sump.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get the real reef rock from if I may ask.
I have used it on several builds. It looks real good when wet and stack and goes together nice.
Was your dry or wet?
I know they ship it both ways. I have always bought it wet and cycled.

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had done maintenance to the D.T. and moved around rock and sand. Caused a dust, sand, detritus storm.
The filter sock picked it all up and clogged.
If not for those slits, I would have had one heck of a flood because the water level in the intake/sock section was within a 8th inch from running over and out the sump.
yikes. looks like ill adjust my plan and add some emergency slots higher up, perhaps even route the top to make the wall slightly lower. Thanks for the insights

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the real reef rock from if I may ask.
I have used it on several builds. It looks real good when wet and stack and goes together nice.
Was your dry or wet?
I know they ship it both ways. I have always bought it wet and cycled.
I got them from @Bulk Reef Supply they shipped damp. They have since dried out, but thats ok with me. Its slow build anyway. I used the on my current 10 gallon tank in my office, i love the look and super easy to build with. I started working some magic with the rocks and a little stone fix from @Aquaforest to create my structure. lots of ledges, flat spots, and less of a pile of rocks-thats my goal

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got them from @Bulk Reef Supply they shipped damp. They have since dried out, but thats ok with me. Its slow build anyway. I used the on my current 10 gallon tank in my office, i love the look and super easy to build with. I started working some magic with the rocks and a little stone fix from @Aquaforest to create my structure. lots of ledges, flat spots, and less of a pile of rocks-thats my goal

I have never seen BRS carry real reef rock, weird.

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to rough in some plumbing this afternoon. First time with plumbing. Thoughts? Pic below is just main and secondary drain. Still have emergency and return to do
20180809_170609.jpg

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got plenty of PVC and this is all dry fit soft if you've got some suggestions to make it different/better, please let me know

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update the plumbing a bit. I think this is the final setup. Going to glue them up tomorrow...unless someone sees something blatantly wrong with the setup. From left to right they are

Main drain
Return
Secondary drain
Emergency drain

Thoughts from peanut gallery?
20180811_161747.jpg

OP
OP
kdino

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I have been playing with some rocks. here is what I've created. if you remember my box of rocks, small/medium sized pieces, well i took that, and a little @Aquaforest Stone Fix and created this. I really like how it came out. what do you guys think? i have a few more pieces of rock left I may or may not add in. Sorry for the washed out blue pics, didn't have time this morning to alter my schedule on the 52hds
20180814_063920.png
20180814_063925.png
20180814_063929.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back