Is this a zoa or........?

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total noob here....
Started transferring my few corals and frags from my 180g as I am preparing for a deep clean this weekend and redoing the aqua scape. But that is another thread.

This mushroom (I think) I picked up recently has enveloped a small piece or rock and I just noticed this sprouting out.

Any ideas?

20201203_205725.jpg

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you.
It’s definitely a palythoa and there are several types that do and don’t produce palytoxin that all look very very similar to the one you have so please be very careful before doing anything with it, maybe do some research. Palytoxin can be deadly if inhaled so there are some precautions to take when working with these corals. Not trying to scare you, plenty of people have these corals. Just something to be aware of. Any way you could get a close up of it under a little more light? There is basically only 1 species in the aquarium trade that produces the toxin, palythoa Heliodiscus. It can be identified by light colored rays radiating from the center to the edge of the disc, and little nubs on the edge of the disc between each pair of tentacles.

Last edited:

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green paly. , The will grow fast and spread ( I know) and can be hard to get rid of so keep it on a rock by itself. The reason it's on that frag shows how they will spread .

OP
OP
Ta2oodfreak

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely a palythoa and there are several types that do and don’t produce palytoxin that all look very very similar to the one you have so please be very careful before doing anything with it, maybe do some research. Palytoxin can be deadly if inhaled so there are some precautions to take when working with these corals. Not trying to scare you, plenty of people have these corals. Just something to be aware of. Any way you could get a close up of it under a little more light? There is basically only 1 species in the aquarium trade that produces the toxin, palythoa Heliodiscus. It can be identified by light colored rays radiating from the center to the edge of the disc, and little nubs on the edge of the disc between each pair of tentacles.
Thank you for the words of caution and appreciate it. Luckily for me, when I jump into something I wind up doing a lot of reading and other research and was aware of the safety precautions when handling/fragging them.
I will snap a better pic when I get off shift. It came from a guy I met locally with lots of higher end corals so figured it was a zoa that hitchhiked but sometimes looks are deceiving.

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the words of caution and appreciate it. Luckily for me, when I jump into something I wind up doing a lot of reading and other research and was aware of the safety precautions when handling/fragging them.
I will snap a better pic when I get off shift. It came from a guy I met locally with lots of higher end corals so figured it was a zoa that hitchhiked but sometimes looks are deceiving.
By the way, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back