Issues setting up bashsea bioreactor

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 8-30 bashsea bioreactor and it is not running as I see in the few videos I can find. They do not provide instructions or a link to instructions.

I am running the Sicce 9.0 advanced and the AP300 deep water as suggested on the website.

Issues are with the outlet opened up maybe halfway, after a day I was having water splashing out of the top barbs and the top of the vent pipe.

Also, all the beads are at the very top with the water level currently about 2” below the top. With the outlet barely open.

When I open the outlet further the water level rises up to very top.

I have since put tubing on the top vents (apparently that is necessary?) they are smooth and not barbed so I didn’t think it was necessary in the first place.

Also this thing is very loud and gurgles a lot. I don’t need dead silent but this can be heard behind closed doors.

Any help in proper setup or tips would be appreciated

image.jpg

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 8-30 bashsea bioreactor and it is not running as I see in the few videos I can find. They do not provide instructions or a link to instructions.

I am running the Sicce 9.0 advanced and the AP300 deep water as suggested on the website.

Issues are with the outlet opened up maybe halfway, after a day I was having water splashing out of the top barbs and the top of the vent pipe.

Also, all the beads are at the very top with the water level currently about 2” below the top. With the outlet barely open.

I have since put tubing on the top vents (apparently that is necessary?) they are smooth and not barbed so I didn’t think it was necessary in the first place.

Also this thing is very loud and gurgles a lot. I don’t need dead silent but this can be heard behind closed doors.

image.jpg
Water flow wise you’re fine so long as you can control the flow. As far as air flow I tried the same air pump without any success. I upscale the pump and has worked flawlessly since.

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use now

I assume you close off 3 of the 4 lines?

What pump are you using?

What is strange is that if I plug the hole on the pvc pipe the beads drop down to close to the bottom and it quiets down substantially.

Also, I am using the Sicce 3.0. It was the 9.0 for the skimmer... I changed that to a Varios 8 and had better results there.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you close off 3 of the 4 lines?

What pump are you using?

What is strange is that if I plug the hole on the pvc pipe the beads drop down to close to the bottom and it quiets down substantially.

Also, I am using the Sicce 3.0. It was the 9.0 for the skimmer... I changed that to a Varios 8 and had better results there.
Yes I close off three lines. My findings have shown that the air flow is more important than the water flow. My reactor is fed from a manifold.

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I close off three lines. My findings have shown that the air flow is more important than the water flow. My reactor is fed from a manifold.

Appreciate the help. The air pump is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. You also have me considering running it off the manifold. I have one spot left... could fine tune the flow that way.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the help. The air pump is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. You also have me considering running it off the manifold. I have one spot left... could fine tune the flow that way.
It is very important to be able to tune the water flow for sure. Mostly is set it and forget it but occasionally I make minor adjustments as the water level fluctuates. Never figured out why but only minor fluctuations anyway. You ultimately will live the reactor. It is an important part of the nitrification process on my huge fish only!

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four of these now, including biggest one. to stop water coming out of top, you need to lower water level in cylinder using the red handled valve.

OP
OP
S

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got it mostly tuned in. It still requires an adjustment about once a week, but I think that is caused by running it off a manifold.

The air pump suggested above was a huge help in getting the beads tumbling correctly. I think the AP3000 deep water is under powered.

I still have silicone hoses running off the top outlets into my sump because the water level will ride at 1” below the plate for almost a week and then suddenly it is all the way at the top will water trickling out the hoses.

Once again, I bet this inconsistency is caused by the manifold, but I already have 3 Varios 8’s in my sump. Did not want to run a 4th pump....

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on the AP-300. I just order two of these to power my four bio reactors.

cleon1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my reef 2 reef people I’m having the same issue with my 8-30 bio reactor I have upgraded the air pump to eco 1 780gpm, but the beads are still at the top and making a gurgling sound. I have this connected to my manifold which is connected to a eco-tech L2. Anybody have any suggestions with this malfunctioning

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my reef 2 reef people I’m having the same issue with my 8-30 bio reactor I have upgraded the air pump to eco 1 780gpm, but the beads are still at the top and making a gurgling sound. I have this connected to my manifold which is connected to a eco-tech L2. Anybody have any suggestions with this malfunctioning
Hey,

When they get stuck to the top that means the air is not forcing them down. Double check for air leaks in the hose.

cleon1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

When they get stuck to the top that means the air is not forcing them down. Double check for air leaks in the hose.
Just checked the hose for leaks and Notting, just order a even larger air pump to see if that works ‍♂️

cleon1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
Hey brother did you ever fix the issue with your reactor? I’m currently having the same issue that your having. I have upgraded the air pump to 1750gph and still having the same problem? Got any advise on how I can get this reactor up and running. I have the reactor connected to a vectra m1 and tried to connect it to my manifold and still no difference?

Luisn17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

the video is not showing for me, maybe posted in YouTube and share the link. I will take a video of mine shortly and post the link with two different pumps so you see the difference.

Ks4726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone out there know if you install a gate valve before the reactor, will it make a difference? They stopped making them with the valve so I installed the valve at the end of my manifold and then plumbed the bio reactor. I'm ready to turn it on.

I'm second guessing myself that the valve is meant at the end to secure water in the chamber. Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• 16725856702001642679410543875991.jpg
    16725856702001642679410543875991.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 45

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm having trouble. The website says that it uses a 1/8" Air Input Diameter (Hose Barb). I cannot find any such thing on Amazon or elsewhere. I had assumed that it used the standard 3/16" tubing, but that is too small. Thus, clearly a 1/8, being smaller than 3/16, would also be too small.

Can someone send me a link to what you're using to attach the air pump to the reactor? I messaged Bashsea, but they're not particularly responsive.

Ks4726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm having trouble. The website says that it uses a 1/8" Air Input Diameter (Hose Barb). I cannot find any such thing on Amazon or elsewhere. I had assumed that it used the standard 3/16" tubing, but that is too small. Thus, clearly a 1/8, being smaller than 3/16, would also be too small.

Can someone send me a link to what you're using to attach the air pump to the reactor? I messaged Bashsea, but they're not particularly responsive.
I had to slice the airline house and jam it in. Don't forget to use check valves because water can get backed up once the reactor is off and gets turned back on. Also, it can come out the two ports on top of the lid as well.if it doesn't sit high enough

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back