What type of sump do you have

• Total voters

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a bashsea 48” sig. love it. Think the real difference between acrylic and glass is the overall look. Plus it’s easier for most to purchase a pre built acrylic then make a glass one. Both do the same thing at the end of the day.

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a trigger 34 no water in it yet but I have in the past attempted to build my own and was quite happy with it.. if you are looking to save money I got mine used and paid less than half for it and to be honest it looks brand new

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I wanted to save a few bucks on the sump. I was leaning more toward Glass Cages to build the sump so I would not have to worry about putting in baffles. I could also tell them the size of each compartment in the sump. I have a 210 with the mega drain so I would want return in middle and to the left of the return refugium and to the right of the return skimmer. The return section could be shrunk so the refugium section could be bigger.

reefs4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always ran a DIY sump between having a 75G, 210G and now 150G. I think they're the best option as you get to decide how big you want each compartment based on baffle placement. Try to figure out what you want out of your sump and what equipment you're going to be running and them give yourself a little extra room. Honestly all you ever need are 2 or 3 baffles. Think refuigium, filter socks, skimmer, return. See which of those 4 you want or don't want and then that's how many baffles you'll need.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO acrylic sumps are one of the three most unjustifiably overpriced things in this hobby, easily 2-4 times more expensive than they should be.

DIY glass sump all the way.

Make it as big as you can fit, and as simple as you can. These days I'm down to only two baffles. Leaves space for the macro, rocks, and equipment.

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a trigger sapphire 26. The only complaint I have is cleaning the chamber where the drain line goes into. Any ideas on cleaning this section?

IMG_20191009_070235.jpg

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always ran a DIY sump between having a 75G, 210G and now 150G. I think they're the best option as you get to decide how big you want each compartment based on baffle placement. Try to figure out what you want out of your sump and what equipment you're going to be running and them give yourself a little extra room. Honestly all you ever need are 2 or 3 baffles. Think refuigium, filter socks, skimmer, return. See which of those 4 you want or don't want and then that's how many baffles you'll need.
I want fuge, sock, skimmer section, return i want it all. i do like the fact that Glass Cages informed i can tell them how big the compartments need to be.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had a trigger 39, worked really well for the time I had it. I ultimately wanted something bigger so I put baffles in rimless glass tank. I feel like it was a huge upgrade! Very easy to attach glass baffles to glass.

BB21D575-9AEB-4F9E-8464-D55817630448.jpeg BD75B3A2-496D-40C9-A97A-47277D28A5C3.jpeg
That is a very nice looking DIY very clean looking.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you guys think the Bashsea 48 will support my 210? I do plan on running a manifold for my BRS dual reactor which does not need to be in the sump, my UV, and somewhere down the line a calcium reactor. none of which need to sit in the sump.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m running a bashsea 48” sig. love it. Think the real difference between acrylic and glass is the overall look. Plus it’s easier for most to purchase a pre built acrylic then make a glass one. Both do the same thing at the end of the day.
I think I am liking this

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what size is your tank?

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so I made my choice. I just ordered the Bashsea Smart Series 48x18x16 Sump, I was going to go with Glass Cages but I wanted a sump with all the bells and whistles. I figure Midas well get one that I can do my blue and white color theme since my return pump is an Ecotech Vectra Vectra L2 and my PVC will be blue. Thank you for all of your input. I can definitly say that my frag grow out tank will have a DIY though.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised to see no one mentioned IceCap 48XL sump so far. They cost less than some of the other big names, built great, have all the room you need. I was thinking about going with 40G and baffle kit for the sump. Then Coralvue had 36XL on sale because manufacturer screwed up and used some sort of yellow glue or something where the seams are. They couldnt sell it for full price, so it ended up only being about $75 more than it would have cost me to build my own. Follow Coralvue on eBay, as that is where they have their "outlet" deals.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size is your tank?
Running a 45, 14, and 10 off of it right now. With a pair of 40’s being added in the future.

Mines sump setup is in the basement Only things I modified on it were changing out the existing bulk heads to 2” to handle my multiple incoming tanks and I put dual bulk heads in for external return pumps.

Not sure how much room you have but I really recommend plumbing for a external return pump. Really gives it a clean look and frees up the last chamber.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is this and where did you get this?

It's made by Buckhorn. I bought mine from grainger. I've seen them for less money online, but grainger was able to get it to my local store in two days, so no shipping.

If full, I believe it would hold a bit over 100 gallons. I have 70 gallons in it. I first saw these containers in use at TSM Corals, they use them extensively.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back