Low PO4 but High NO3 help?

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling some cyano and turf algae pretty much since I've been in the hobby 2 1/2 years ago now. About 18 months ago I thought I found the end all solution...that being the Zeovit system. Ever seen then I've been running the full system (Zeo Stones, Carbon, Zeobac, Zeostart, ZeoFood, SpongePower, AcroGlow, Coral Vitalizer, Zeozym, A-Balance, and K-Balance).

My thought was, great, its gonna cost but I'm gonna have the most colorful algae free system in time. Well 18 months later, my corals looks about the same (some growth, but disappointment in colors), and still battling cyano and turf algae.

I believe the culprit to my struggles is an in-balance of nutrients. Currently my PO4 is at .01, and my Nitrates are sitting at 20ppm (both confirmed with Hanna Checkers). I have spent the last 6 months trying to reduce my Nitrate to be balance with PO4 with no go. I've even tried limiting fish feed to just once every other day, and removed all substrate to have a clean bottom, but still Nitrates stay between 15-20ppm.

Saying that, I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to dose PO4 directly to raise that to a more balance level between PO4 and Nitrate, with the hope the additional PO4 will bring my Nitrates down to a sustainable level.

But also scared, because last thing I want to to create even more algae issues.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find more success running @ near undeteable on both.
I think you should work on nitrate reduction more.
That's the whole point of this ... I'm running the whole Zeo System which is all about nutrient reduction. I SHOULDN'T have high nitrates.

Which is why I'm wondering if I need to get the PO4 in balance with my Nitrates. I've read that carbon dosing (Zeobac in my case) needs both a supply of PO4 and NO3 to cultivate enough bacteria to do its job. With my PO4 out of wack with my nitrates .... maybe that is why my nitrates are not being reduced.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the whole point of this ... I'm running the whole Zeo System which is all about nutrient reduction. I SHOULDN'T have high nitrates.

Which is why I'm wondering if I need to get the PO4 in balance with my Nitrates. I've read that carbon dosing (Zeobac in my case) needs both a supply of PO4 and NO3 to cultivate enough bacteria to do its job. With my PO4 out of wack with my nitrates .... maybe that is why my nitrates are not being reduced.
If thats the case, i would start dosing monopotassium phosphate. But slowly.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could try feeding pellets and reef chili. I hear they raise phosphate more than nitrates

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not raise your phosphates to balance out with nitrates. I would start slowly dosing nopox and that will bring the nitrates down.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPoX won't necessarily bring down the NO3. The bacteria that the NoPoX feeds that consume the NO3 also need PO4. If you are PO4 limited, then the effectiveness of NoPoX will be too.

I would get an ICP test done to see what your levels are at. Also, the Hanna Checkers only test for inorganic material, as do the other tests on the market. Have you done a good blowing off of your rock work and cleaning of your sand if you have any? Decomposing material will cause algae and cyano problems.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back