Making a fish shelter

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting for my tank to arrive, I set up temporary tank housing a pair of clownfish. I added a PVC pipe inside the tank to work around my ATO. My clowns instantly took to it, weaving in and out of the holes that I had drilled. I was kind of taken back by it all, as it wasn't made for that purpose. The pipe was only 3/4'' ID. They had an entire 100 gallon tank with lots of live rock to take shelter in. They were the only fish in the tank, yet it chose this one single pipe to make and call home. Nevertheless, after seeing how much they enjoyed it and how much more active they became, I knew I'd have to incorporate a similar setup in the display.
unnamed.jpg

When I put them in the display, I didn't have a structure for them outside of live rock. It took me about 2 weeks to set something up. During this time, all they would do is stay in one single spot at the top of a corner, while never leaving. Day or night it didn't matter.They looked miserable, almost to the point of wondering if they might be ill. I got around to putting something together.

unnamed-1.jpg

As I expected, the added shelter got them moving again and they became much more active. It was ok, however it wasn't really ideal or secure for my liking. I put an elbow at the top, as I figured it was be a good place for them to sleep at night. Sure enough, that's where they started sleeping. I don't know why, but they will only sleep at the top of the surface.

As time went on, and the clowns grew, I finally got around to making them a larger, more permanent shelter/playhouse.
unnamed-2.jpg

If you notice, the top has an area in which they will sleep and feel secure.
unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg

Their constant weaving is entertaining to watch. Much better than having them stay in one corner all day and night and not swim.

Originally, all I cared about was having a tank that looked sleek and pleasing to the eye, however as time went on my priority shifted. I started enjoying less of the overall aesthetic appearance of the tank and more around the activity and utilization of it. Over time, as corals grow and coraline spreads, I'm sure it will be less noticeable.

With this post, I was looking to see if others have done something similar. If so, what did YOU do?

Last edited:

sphinx15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bottom open/does it have any flow through it? My only concern would be detritus building up in it. Otherwise, it's awesome!

You could always put a bit of GSP on it. It might make a good looking anemone substitute and it would be cool to see them swimming in and out :)

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bottom open/does it have any flow through it? My only concern would be detritus building up in it. Otherwise, it's awesome!

You could always put a bit of GSP on it. It might make a good looking anemone substitute and it would be cool to see them swimming in and out :)
I put a bunch of long openings along the bottom for detritus to escape.
DA4C36E2-57DE-4451-8BEF-CA20CD8DF9B0.jpeg

Good idea on the GSP!

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While waiting for my tank to arrive, I set up temporary tank housing a pair of clownfish. I added a PVC pipe inside the tank to work around my ATO. My clowns instantly took to it, weaving in and out of the holes that I had drilled. I was kind of taken back by it all, as it wasn't made for that purpose. The pipe was only 3/4'' ID. They had an entire 100 gallon tank with lots of live rock to take shelter in. They were the only fish in the tank, yet it chose this one single pipe to make and call home. Nevertheless, after seeing how much they enjoyed it and how much more active they became, I knew I'd have to incorporate a similar setup in the display.
unnamed.jpg

When I put them in the display, I didn't have a structure for them outside of live rock. It took me about 2 weeks to set something up. During this time, all they would do is stay in one single spot at the top of a corner, while never leaving. Day or night it didn't matter.They looked miserable, almost to the point of wondering if they might be ill. I got around to putting something together.

unnamed-1.jpg

As I expected, the added shelter got them moving again and they became much more active. It was ok, however it wasn't really ideal or secure for my liking. I put an elbow at the top, as I figured it was be a good place for them to sleep at night. Sure enough, that's where they started sleeping. I don't know why, but they will only sleep at the top of the surface.

As time went on, and the clowns grew, I finally got around to making them a larger, more permanent shelter/playhouse.
unnamed-2.jpg

If you notice, the top has an area in which they will sleep and feel secure.
unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed-5.jpg

Their constant weaving is entertaining to watch. Much better than having them stay in one corner all day and night and not swim.

Originally, all I cared about was having a tank that looked sleek and pleasing to the eye, however as time went on my priority shifted. I started enjoying less of the overall aesthetic appearance of the tank and more around the activity and utilization of it. Over time, as corals grow and coraline spreads, I'm sure it will be less noticeable.

With this post, I was looking to see if others have done something similar. If so, what did YOU do?
I have not done anything similar but I LOVE that you did this for your fishies!

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few rocks that I carved out for my other fish.

7A5C3A3D-25D0-4E1E-B60D-9E7D805DCE8E.jpeg

54A98FA0-0120-48C2-84ED-0C354FD31C1F.jpeg

D72A1AAB-B1B4-4F41-8F6F-BEF6835DE476.jpeg

68B72C0B-F9E1-47C6-8753-9D93B750B00D.jpeg

My tang likes to sleep in his large cave : )
278F2EB8-B803-453A-9057-FA8EE6F34AFE.jpeg

Back