Mixing station question

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you arrive at the max flow rate through 3/4 at 2100gph? I've seen numbers from 600 to now 2100,but haven't seen any documentation on these numbers. I'm looking to better understand and of course this is assuming little to zero head pressure. Thanks.

I assume it comes from this chart the flexpvc has. Not a very realistic data for the aquarium.

1628170219542.png

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it comes from this chart the flexpvc has. Not a very realistic data for the aquarium.

1628170219542.png

Thanks for sharing. I'm not quite sure the uniqueness of flexpvc, but let's assume it's fairly accurate +/- a few % tolerance.

The way I would interpret this from a powered source water return pump would land us somewhere between the yellow and red numbers leaning more towards yellow IMHO. The red sounds like a max situation where it sounds like all hell is breaking lose which is rather unrealistic for our purposes. However I would argue a good sized return pump would put out above average for the yellows depending on the head lose thus pushing us higher than the yellow max depending on pump power.

Thanks again for sharing.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know just seems like this one is posted a lot or some variation.
The yellow says it is for 20psi - 100psi that converts to 46ft-230ft. There are hardley any aquarium pumps that operate in that range. The gravititity flow part does not show if that is in a sewer drain a 1/4" per foot drop or in a full siphon drain with a 10 foot drop.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know just seems like this one is posted a lot or some variation.
The yellow says it is for 20psi - 100psi that converts to 46ft-230ft. There are hardley any aquarium pumps that operate in that range. The gravititity flow part does not show if that is in a sewer drain a 1/4" per foot drop or in a full siphon drain with a 10 foot drop.

On a typical 3/4, I've read the 600 previously and that seems very very low considering most of us run tees or manifolds. That 600 assumption would mean anyone with a manifold would probably get a significantly less GPH actually going into DT if we assume a tee splits it 50% unless you have a fairly powerful pump forcing more water through it. The 1200 makes me feel better lol as this should still get 3-5x turnover even when you factor in a number of lose including tee and manifolds. Given this, I plan to upgrade the initial pump output PVC including first split point at the tee to make sure I get as much GPH before it's force to split and effectively reduce GPH. Still want as much GPH as possible going into the 3/4 split run into DT.

Pump output (1") -> Tee (1", 3/4", 3/4") -> Manifold (3/4") and DT return (3/4")

I don't have a way measure so I will never know. =)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a typical 3/4, I've read the 600 previously and that seems very very low considering most of us run tees or manifolds. That 600 assumption would mean anyone with a manifold would probably get a significantly less GPH actually going into DT if we assume a tee splits it 50% unless you have a fairly powerful pump forcing more water through it. The 1200 makes me feel better lol as this should still get 3-5x turnover even when you factor in a number of lose including tee and manifolds. Given this, I plan to upgrade the initial pump output PVC including first split point at the tee to make sure I get as much GPH before it's force to split and effectively reduce GPH. Still want as much GPH as possible going into the 3/4 split run into DT.

Pump output (1") -> Tee (1", 3/4", 3/4") -> Manifold (3/4") and DT return (3/4")

I don't have a way measure so I will never know. =)

I think a lot of people have way less flow then they think. I watched a tank tour awhile back and it was stated that they were running 2500 gph but you could not hardly see any movement in the sump.

If you want to get a fairly close calculation you can look at the depth of the water at your weir.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 600 numbers you saw were probably for average full siphon drain rate. Once pressure is applied with no head pressure at max for what pipe can withstand and then schedule 80 instead of 40..is when you get up to the 2100.
Then some people may calculate for sched 40 and/or average tank head pressure of 5 feet, and you get different ranges between the two.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back