Votes: 143 39.9%

• Total voters

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool stuff , and when you break it down it's not that much per test. My thing is who here actually tests their water 4 times a day? Maybe it's just me but an 8 dollar refill for a hanna alk checker and a calcium.test kit lasts like 2 months if not more

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the great review. I am concerned about the ATK FMM module now, two people with the same issues .... coincidence ?

Ps I didn’t get one yet. The one (1) that showed up at my LFS they are keeping for them self’s, until I get their and confiscated it! .........Did I mention that they only got ONE (1) unit. Lol

OP
OP
M

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love neptune systems, don't get me wrong. But whoever was in charge of product release did not plan properly. BRS only got 70 units and sold out in 7-8 minutes. I called my buddy at neptune and apparently ryan from BRS was on the phone with terrance telling him they need more. BRS does over a million a year with neptune systems. They needed at least 1,000 or 1,500 units in my opinon. They did not plan for the mass amount of people that want one. my buddy at neptune called me after his day was over and was telling me about how he had to call specific stores (apex dealers) to let them know they weren't able to get one. luckily im the one that convinced my LFS to get an apex account and I handle all their apex orders as a favor and in return I get unlimited access :). we only got one unit also, waiting for more.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review, It is def on my hit list ( a couple of versions down the road); I like Neptune and their equipment. I do have a problem with the 4 tests per day though. Once my tank is on, I test once a week. With something like this, I'd like to be able to take those tests down to a lower level as well.... maybe at least down to once a day. It's not even about the money, just the fact that I don't want/need 4 tests per day.

OP
OP
M

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review, It is def on my hit list ( a couple of versions down the road); I like Neptune and their equipment. I do have a problem with the 4 tests per day though. Once my tank is on, I test once a week. With something like this, I'd like to be able to take those tests down to a lower level as well.... maybe at least down to once a day. It's not even about the money, just the fact that I don't want/need 4 tests per day.

in the video I posted after my review they actually mention why it has to be a minimum of 4 per day. If i remember correctly, you cant let your trident sit for more than 72 hours or so. They want to be able to keep the accuracy and in order to do that the lines and pumps need to stay primed and moving. check the video out. it actually has alot of information. you really don't even need to watch it. I put it on my phone and just listened to it while driving. alot of good information.

jjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im the same way. I do want one but wish i could at least cut the test in half. My other worry is in the video they mention micro bubbles getting in the lines. I don't have many but the skimmer does let some out

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the video I posted after my review they actually mention why it has to be a minimum of 4 per day. If i remember correctly, you cant let your trident sit for more than 72 hours or so. They want to be able to keep the accuracy and in order to do that the lines and pumps need to stay primed and moving. check the video out. it actually has alot of information. you really don't even need to watch it. I put it on my phone and just listened to it while driving. alot of good information.

Can confirm.
At the first phase of testing the Trident, we could pretty much set our own testing schedules. It was not always pretty.
I knew some people would object to the 4 tests a day minimum. Fortunately such decisions aren't mine to make!
But it does improve accuracy and also gives you sufficient data to make meaningful dosing adjustments on the fly.

My other worry is in the video they mention micro bubbles getting in the lines. I don't have many but the skimmer does let some out

You should try and put the sample intake upstream from everything that might effect water chemistry, including skimmers, reactors and dosing lines.
Overflow if possible (as long as the Trident is at the same level), or first sump chamber.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice review. I thought the trident needed to sit above the sump. is yours?

jjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in the video they did mention something about the 4 times for accuracy. If i had got one on release night I had originally planned on putting the sample intake next to my probes but that is after the skimmer. I guess when i get one I will have to try in the filter sock area before the skimmer.

Robert Scott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people seem to be saying this but it is just noise. To put it into perspective how many test kits and regents would you have to buy in order to test 4 times/day? Please note that it isn't also just regents you are paying for, you have to pay your time as well. How much is your time worth? I don't know, say $30/hr? You just blew past that $275 year number easy - both are hypothetical numbers of course but just wanted to set the record straight. There isn't enough time for you, or I, to run that number of tests.

Oh - and be accurate and consistent. We might as well throw that in there too because I'm sure if you test, and I test, the same water using the same kit the numbers will be different.

Lastly - this is another nugget I like to throw out there because we keep talking about a money grab. It isn't and people really should stop saying that. A money grab is a monthly subscription fee for using the Fusion portal. It is not selling regents of a known quality and baseline. If you go back a ways with Neptune then you would know back in 2000 or so we used to have to pay for Reefnotes in order to automatically plot data from the data logger. We no longer are doing that nor paying for Fusion portal access.

OP - nice feedback and great information on why the need to upgrade before integrating the Trident. Great work.
I agree it's not a money grab, but if you are actually concerned about it... you can't use the reagent and time cost for testing 4 times per day. No on does this. Manually test once per week...max once per day? Having said..it is a relatively inexpensive option after initial investment.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review. I just have one question, would there be any issues you see from turning off the power via a timer or via your eb32 so you only turn it on once a day to do one test instead 4?

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATK FMM had issues after the update too. Weird.

the hump on the front of the trident, there's nothing in there? it was just a design language to make the top so tall? I figured the pumps were up there but your photos look like they're way in the back where they should be.

rui.manuel.gaspar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

And thanks for your review.
You state that the Trident alongside with APEX will be able to control the pH of your Calcium reactor.
Can you elaborate on that?
I am currently running a Deltec PF601 using a DOS to feed it and it would be nice to see APEX controling and managing my pH inside the reactor like they do with 2part dosing. But I haven't seen that in any of the videos or information.

All the best,
Rui

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unfortunate. It sounds like a money grab. $0.19/test at a minimum of 4 tests/day is a minimum of $275/ year.

You also need to factor in the annual maintenance costs of between $100 if you do it yourself or $250 if you return it to apex to maintain for you then of course it can't check your ALK while it's away. So annual costs are expensive.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Mr Saltwater compared the trident and alkatronic and it includes price per test, the trident was cheaper.

Mr saltwater got it wrong the costs for the Alkatronic work out at $0.04 per check. He has even said so in reply plus he never mentioned the annual maintenance costs of the trident which are between $100 and 250 if you return it.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr saltwater got it wrong the costs for the Alkatronic work out at $0.04 per check. He has even said so in reply plus he never mentioned the annual maintenance costs of the trident which are between $100 and 250 if you return it.
.[/QUOTE
Thanks, I didn’t see his update, I will look for that. Neptune said maintenance would be less than $100 or between $150-200.

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review. I just have one question, would there be any issues you see from turning off the power via a timer or via your eb32 so you only turn it on once a day to do one test instead 4?
I think your on to something here!!!
I also would like a way to Use the Trident with all my tanks as opposed to buying 1 per tank. Well with the ones with in the 5 foot intake line distance limit. I think if your 1: "just testing" and not 2:"testing+dosing"(with results from trident) it should be as easy as just moving the intake line. but then your graphs will be off...

I'm just throwing that out there...
ps. I have 2 Tridents showing up Monday ;);Greedy:eek:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back