jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m currently in the process of planning a 40 gallon reef tank and need ideas for stocking. I definitely plan on keeping 2 clownfish and a cleaner shrimp. Other than that, I’m not sure what else I would want to put in the tank. What will make a good clean up crew? Also what other fish are good to keep in a beginner reef tank that are beautiful and have personalities

As far as how many fish I should keep, should I follow the 1” to 1gallon rule?

-thank you

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in mine I have 2 clowns, an algae blenny, a aiptasia eating filefish 2 mandarin gobys. I have also had in the past a 6 line and valentini puffer. For a CUC you should aim for snails that can right themselves when flipped over and preferably ones that can reprduce (trochus). I can't suggest mandarin's for a newbie but the rest are fairly easy.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Grammas, a group of 3 or 4 should be ok and besides swimming in their sides or upside down they "greet" each other when they get close. Hermits, an urchin and brittle stars for CUC.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be a little small but a betta could potentially work for a few months

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a cleanup crew I like urchins, black cucumbers, conches, trochus and nassarius snails. And a good assortment of halloween, blue and scarlet hermit crabs. I also have some emerald and porcelain crabs, which are always entertaining.

In terms of fish, I’ve had good success with clowns, dottybacks, dwarf angels, blennies and damsels (and most are fairly reasonable in terms of price).

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back