Need thoughts on next dimensions

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am in the planning stages of a new tank once I move into my new home early next year. Next weekend I will start reinforcing underneath the home to prepare for the weight. I was hoping to get advice from people with experience with large tanks. I am set on the length, just under 11 feet. But I have not decided on the height or width for sure. I believe I am looking for around 24 wide and 21 high, but would like to hear your thoughts from experience. I am only 5'9" so that has to be a consideration as I would like to be able to reach areas of the tank without getting out a ladder. The sump will be plumbed to a shed outdoors. I am wondering if it is a bad idea to go possibly 26 wide and 18 high, or if that will look silly because it wont be high enough. Any advice or thoughts is appreciated. I would like to stay under or very close to 300 gallons.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure you already thought about this, but the height of the stand will make a big difference on working in the tank. I’m not sure what height you’re thinking about. Or what style of tank you’re considering. Peninsula style? Viewable from both sides? Standard style? Viewable from one side? For wider tanks, peninsulas sure are easier to access. I currently have 21” tall tank and the back corner is not reachable without a small step stool. It’s on a relatively short stand at 27inches. I had a 240 that was a standard 8’ x 2’ x 2’. Stand was 36 inches tall and you definitely needed a tall step stool to reach the back bottom. 18 or 21 inches would have been much easier. Then I had 140 tall that was 30 tall and 18 inches front to back. It was a chore to work in. My new build 72x24x28 tall. It will be on a 37 inch stand. I will definitely need a tall step stool to work on it. Wet armpits and all. I knew what I was getting myself into. Been there done that. But love the look of a taller tank! From a maintenance standpoint, shorter would definitely be easier. Then when you start talking about going wider than 24”, you have to consider lighting. And then you think about tank proportions visually. You take a standard 180 for example. That’s about as visually pleasing proportionally as you can get in my opinion. I’m sure you’ve considered all these things, just throwing in some words. :)

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of depends on what you want from it as well. Sticks look best in taller tanks, clams and lps are awesome viewed top down, so shallow tanks are nice.
I'm 6'1" and had a 180 6×2×2 on a 36" stand, I could just reach the bottom standing on a step stool.
As for desired gallonage, 132"×30×18 is about 308 gallons. Change the height to 16" and you still have a great sized lagoon style tank at about 275 gallons.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably going to have to use ladders whatever you do because of the height of the stand to have any chance of reaching the bottom unless you go very shallow, which is of course an option as already said.

If it were me though, and to prevent the itch for a future upgrade, I would go as big as you can fit in, within reason.

I can just about reach ’near’ the bottom in my big tank, but I don’t need to very often so I sort of live with that.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for all your great input. I planned on building the stand @ 30" high, at a 22" tank that would be 52" high at the top of the tank. I also planned on going 24" wide. Do you think I will be able to reach the bottom corners, I do not mind using a small step stool, I just don't want to be bringing a ladder in every time I need to put my hand in the tank.
I have put quite a bit of thought into getting the tank inside and in place, My plan is just to hire a moving company with 4 people who can also insure it god forbid anything happens. I think it will be expensive but for peace of mind that is likely what I will do. 130"x24"x22" is about as big as id like to go (but id flirt with going a little bigger, under the right circumstances) and I do not see myself upgrading in the next 10 years.
I am assuming the company I order the tank from will be able to get it delivered to me.
The next question I have, what limitations does the relatively low height have? Is there species that require tall tanks?
For lighting, I have done quite a bit of research on Black Box Led's, my current plan is to light the tank with 8 black boxes, and 3 AI Hydras for supplemental lighting and better spread.
Need thoughts on sump, as long as I can go is 60" and as wide as I can go is 18". Height is not a factor on the sump.
Thanks again, I am very excited about this build, though it will probably be about 6 months until I am ready to get anything wet.
EDIT: I will need to find a shipping option, does anyone have any idea how expensive something like this may be to have delivered?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be better to reach out to some lfs and see about building the tank on site. Our lfs can order glass and build tanks on site to help with delivery. They just got glass in to make some sumps for their store frag tanks and they do an excellent job!

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a company that I would really like to go with who builds online, it is the same company that built the tanks for my LFS and I really like the quality.
Also I left this out, the tank will be placed against a long wall, I will be getting low iron glass on the front as that will be the main "viewing angle." There will only be about 10 inches between the ends of the tank and the wall, so the sides will not really used for viewing under most circumstances.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your probably going to have to use ladders whatever you do because of the height of the stand to have any chance of reaching the bottom unless you go very shallow, which is of course an option as already said.

If it were me though, and to prevent the itch for a future upgrade, I would go as big as you can fit in, within reason.

I can just about reach ’near’ the bottom in my big tank, but I don’t need to very often so I sort of live with that.
Your tank is beautiful SPR. What is the footprint of that tank?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is beautiful SPR. What is the footprint of that tank?
Thank you

The big tank approximately 2850mm long x 770 wide and 720 deep, the display is around 1500 litres

The S650 (frag tank! Lol) is around 650 litres but I think your asking about the big one.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

The big tank approximately 2850mm long x 770 wide and 720 deep, the display is around 1500 litres

The S650 (frag tank! Lol) is around 650 litres but I think your asking about the big one.
Is there anything you'd do differently about the build size of the tank? My thoughts are a little longer while going shorter on height and width. How do you feel about the height of your tank? If you took off 200mm would you feel you "needed more." Same question applies to 150mm off the width. I am sorry, I know these are not typical questions, I just want to make sure I am making a good decision, I cant change my mind once the silicone has been applied! lol

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do you, but I really dislike the look of super long, super narrow tanks like this - they just look all sorts of out of proportion to me.

I think the 2 feet front-to-back is going to really limit you aquascaping, and going to really limit the fish/clams/etc you can have.

Go look at some tanks that are deep - the 8x4x2 range - I think you'll rethink having the tank be so narrow. What's on the other side of that wall?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything you'd do differently about the build size of the tank? My thoughts are a little longer while going shorter on height and width. How do you feel about the height of your tank? If you took off 200mm would you feel you "needed more." Same question applies to 150mm off the width. I am sorry, I know these are not typical questions, I just want to make sure I am making a good decision, I cant change my mind once the silicone has been applied! lol
I’m just looking at it, and I don’t think I’d like to loose 200mm height, it might look a little shallow.

On the width, maybe Id actually go bigger to be honest. Once the rock works in place you don’t generally need to go much towards the back, but it’s a long stretch to be honest to reach when putting corals in place.

I wouldn’t want to lose any length but you have to work with the space you have available

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other side of the wall is connected to a shed which is connected under the house, my plan was to run all the plumbing and filtration to this shed. I have limitations as to how far I can come out as it is a part of the living room. I could go 26" out, but that is putting me over 330 gallons at 22" tall which is getting into the water range I dont really want to be in. I love long tanks, with that being said, how many limitations will I have for species due to only being slightly over 2 feet wide. I was thinking of a small cat shark or epaulette one day, but would never put one in if it isn't a comfortable long term home. The tank will be a predatory reef, with mostly your average reef dwellers as well as some predators who wont decimate snails and crabs. I understand a shark is not ideal for this, and likely wont get one but would like it to be a potential option if my heart desires.

OP
OP
Dolphins18

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Thank you! I really appreciate that. After running some calculations, I could go 30” wide. I would like to hear some of the pros and cons from anyone with a 30” wide tank, regardless of size, this would be by far the widest I’ve gone. I have attached a picture of the room, it’s no where near tank ready, but it may give you an idea. The wall is the first thing you look at upon walking in the door and it is just under 14’. I’ll be reinforcing underneath the home with steel jacks and concrete, This is my first home, so I think it’s very important I don’t flood it.
30” wide is almost 400 gallons of water, plus another 125 or so in the sump. To me, that is a whole lot of water. ANY input is so appreciated, I think I’m scared and excited to be honest.
1724C213-ED77-4140-AF09-8554FC967D61.jpeg

Last edited:
Back