New Favia is it doing okay?

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this Favia looks like it's doing okay. It looks colorful so I'm guessing so? Any insight would be great

16882413715038509577363378708410.jpg

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks ok from what I can see. Your tank is relatively new I gather?
It's about 5 or 6 weeks old. Fully cycled done the brown stage and all other corals are open and well. I just grabbed this one yesterday so wanted to verify that it's okay.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 5 or 6 weeks old. Fully cycled done the brown stage and all other corals are open and well. I just grabbed this one yesterday so wanted to verify that it's okay.
Again, it looks fine (and it sounds like your other corals are ok as well). Just ensure you keep up your water change and testing regiment.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some little brownish/green areas on the top that don't look like coral tissue. Did the coral come with that or is it a new development? When I've damaged brains and had tissue recession, it usually starts out looking like that. I'd give the coral a light blast with a turkey baster to see if it is just detritus sitting there.

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some little brownish/green areas on the top that don't look like coral tissue. Did the coral come with that or is it a new development? When I've damaged brains and had tissue recession, it usually starts out looking like that. I'd give the coral a light blast with a turkey baster to see if it is just detritus sitting there.
I believe it came with it. I've only had it for like 24-36 hrs.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that okay though?
It wouldn't be preferable. I'd keep a close eye to see if it's receeding or healing/healed. But keep your parameters in order and it will heal. I'd put a hermit or small emerald crab in temporarily to let him get at the algae if it continues to grow. My Christmas favia, yours may be this as well, has been quite resilient.

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't be preferable. I'd keep a close eye to see if it's receeding or healing/healed. But keep your parameters in order and it will heal. I'd put a hermit or small emerald crab in temporarily to let him get at the algae if it continues to grow. My Christmas favia, yours may be this as well, has been quite resilient.
That algae isn't from my tank bro. I have only had it for maybe 36 hrs

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not really anything you can do about it at this point anyway except just to try and maintain a stable reef environment. I've had parts of corals die, bleech, grow algae and then become reestablished with new coral over time. Some corals I'd written off made a 100% recovery, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said anything is in distress?
I think he just meant in general terms, ie: by the time you observe a problem with your corals it's been present for weeks (and just not apparent or noticeable).

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are concerned about it.
Because I've literally never had this style of coral and was asking if it's okay. It looks okay based on the photos I've looked at but that's all I have to go off of. Lol. Just because I'm asking about it doesn't mean I think it's distressed or dying. I'm not in panic mode or anything.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back