jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many years I finally got my hands on a legit weeping willow leather toadstool! It’s been so long since I’ve seen 1 that I thought could be the real thing. I found this piece at a swap about 2 months ago and immediately I knew it had to be the real deal because it was in a very low flow corner of the gentleman’s frag tank and it’s polyps we’re draped over the edges and they were laying on the bottom of the tank. MAN WAS THAT EXCITING TO COME ACROSS! I don’t think I’ve seen a true weeping willow since the early/mid 2000’s and this one really stood out compared to all of the toadstools being sold as weeping willows in recent years (I’ve purchased a lot of the look alike’s over the past 2yrs through online stores and not 1 was the real deal) I’ve boosted the nitrates in the tank since then. I was a little worried that the tank’s parameters and flow wouldn’t please this coral considering the tank is aimed more towards sps but most lps and softies have done really well so far.
IMG_4428.jpeg
IMG_4425.jpeg

OP
OP
jtone_philthy_aquatics

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone would like to see some better shots just lmk and I’ll take some (I know these aren’t the greatest). I kept forgetting to post this and wanted to do it while it was on my mind lol. The weeping willows are back in town though so keep an eye out if you have been looking

Relled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it! I’ll definitely come back here and let you know when I have a frag for ya dude ✅
Sounds good haha! I've done a decent amount of research on the "true" weeping willow strain. Seems like it has always been available in Asia for some reason but not here? There have always been a few tanks on Instagram posting new shots in either Japan or Korea showcasing some insane softies. Quite the legendary swap find!

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds good haha! I've done a decent amount of research on the "true" weeping willow strain. Seems like it has always been available in Asia for some reason but not here? There have always been a few tanks on Instagram posting new shots in either Japan or Korea showcasing some insane softies. Quite the legendary swap find!
I've seen that too, not sure why it isn't collected and sold here more frequently.

Relled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it! I’ll definitely come back here and let you know when I have a frag for ya dude ✅
Interestingly I was able to score a frag from Biota today...Which does appear to be the same exact strain. As they advertise it with the drooping polyps. I was on the email notification for it for ages. Sold out immediately after I bought it as well.
Coming next week

The Biota shipping was quite expensive but I was looking for a real showpiece coral for my tank pretty pumped for this frag to come in.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Interestingly I was able to score a frag from Biota today...Which does appear to be the same exact strain. As they advertise it with the drooping polyps. I was on the email notification for it for ages. Sold out immediately after I bought it as well.
Coming next week

The Biota shipping was quite expensive but I was looking for a real showpiece coral for my tank pretty pumped for this frag to come in.
link?

Relled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually looks like they still have some as well!

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the same coral that IPS sells, they call it a lime green leather. Got two of them a couple of months ago

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Actually looks like they still have some as well!
ordered myself one as well...let's see if they are legit!

Last edited:

Relled

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha ya, we will see... Does not seem like I can dig up much on this exact strain from Biota. There is one Facebook post from someone around 5 years ago I found saying they have a biota frag it is quite small though. But... on that same post, someone replied with a very blurry video, and if you look past the blur that piece looks extremely good...

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did y'all think of the Toadstools? We don't consider them to the be the same strain that Reefbuilders had but they do end up extremely long and have the classic willow droop once the flow is turned off.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming next week

How did they turn out? Thinking of ordering one myself.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did y'all think of the Toadstools? We don't consider them to the be the same strain that Reefbuilders had but they do end up extremely long and have the classic willow droop once the flow is turned off.
I tried to order but wouldnt let me add to cart. Are you out? How much to ship to Lutz Fl 33549. How do urs compare to whitlyn aquatics or aqua corals? I keep hearing about them but they look brownish and the polyps arent open!

christianscorals

Water Bender
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey. that’s one of my babies! this is the momma. i have some frags if anyone is interested. although the polyps are longer than a traditional toadstool, this is not a true weeping willow. though it is rare to come across, i would consider it more as a cousin to the willow.

Attachments

• IMG_4662.jpeg
    IMG_4662.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 75

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back