Overrated fish

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange spot diamond goby. Sure they look great and keep the sand clean. But you can't keep anything on your sand unless you want it buried. Had to give mine away.
Any type of Valenciennea will do this. The reason I have these species’ on my overrated list is due to their difficulty in care long term.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? Does your pistol shrimp pick at the corals? My wife is obsessed with them..should I be worried to have 2 in our tank?
just make sure to get a candy cane. I have two candy canes paired with yashas in two tanks and both have been model citizen. Some sand bed movement, but no frag stealing. I heard you can run into issues with the larger pistols

dmmitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I say yellow tangs. When this hobby started there were no tanks without yellow tangs. Very boring fish but not as boring as clownfish.

I have a fireclown for 30 years. Actually two of them and of all the fish that died over the years,I had hoped it was these clowns instead of something more interesting. Like this guy who I just lost to old age.

What kind of pipefish is that? It’s beautiful.

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish. Haven't had any in years and never will again. Couldn't stand the two I housed for my buddy for a year before he decided to not come back to the hobby.

Cardinals. I have two PJ cardinals and they're pointless.

Sixline wrasse. Absolute devils and too many other better wrasses.
I have a six line and he is an angel, got him when he was little though.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about pajama cardinalfish? I am thinking about a few for my tank but really can't decide if I like them or not.
I have one. He’s kinda boring. Like most cardinal fish they just kinda sit there and the PJ isn’t very pretty. It’s a hardy, unusual looking, peaceful fish. So if that’s what you are looking for it’s a good choice. I probably won’t ever get another one just because I’d rather get something more interesting and colorful.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold headed/ yellow headed goby. They get big for a sand sifter, very lively always swimming around. Everything is fine and dandy, they keep the sand nice and white. I mean if you like sand where sand isnt supposed to be then these are the fish for you. They DO NOT stick to the sand bed. What they do do is grab a mouthful of sand, and swim almost to the top of the tank and munch and spit it out right into your powerhead. You get your very own underwater sand storm. Its legit and my favorite and I definitely dont have to blow sand off of my corals ever.

10/10 would recommend.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Betta. Want a fish that'll hide behind your rocks at all times? There you go.

I was worried about this but once mine settled in and grew a bit, it is now out several times a day chillin.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line and he is an angel, got him when he was little though.
This is my second sixline, and both a have been model citizen. never any problem with them and I really love that fish. It is so independent, completely ignore the other fish and it is fun to watch it go in and out of the rocks. It could be that all my other fish do not get intimidated by him/her.
The bully in my tank was my 4 stripped damsel. But now he/she has calm down quite a bit and I do not have any more problem. I did have to resort to isolate it for a while though.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a large one that I didn't see out in the open for over two years.

yikes! Mine came yesterday like it always does. I took a bad pic for proof lol

Mine is captive bred so idk maybe that helps since tank life is all it has known.

23C1481C-4A4F-4859-9DB7-3EB3D69946D9.jpeg

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the PJ’s over bangai
I like them both, and yes they are not very active, but they are always visible, not like some fish who stays in holes and you never see.
I do not have corals, but am trying to grow pretty macro algae. These small carnivore fish are perfect for that purpose, along with firefish. They do not dig, move or disturb anything, and are always there.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do not think that there are any overrated fish. It all depends of the display, the companion fish and the purpose of the tank. Corals, macro-algae or fish only, size and so on.

However there are plenty over priced fish and these seemed to be the one who suddenly become the latest fad or the new
" I have to get it ones".

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balistidae
Most Acanthurids
Some Amphiprion/Premnas (The common ones - Rarer wild ones aren’t as bad)
Cardinals
Certain Centropyge spp.
Pomacanthus paru
Pomacanthus arcuatus
Pygoplites diacanthus (Small CB)
Blenniidae
Chelmon rostratum
Forcipiger Flavissimus
Most Pseudocheilinus spp.

And that’s just the beginning of my list :)

I can't believe you listed a CBB. Mine is active, greets me and destroyed my aptasia infestation. My CBB is immune to ich as well. Of all the fish that perished from ich, my cbb was strong and active. Lets not forget how gorgeous the fish is.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe you listed a CBB. Mine is active, greets me and destroyed my aptasia infestation. My CBB is immune to ich as well. Of all the fish that perished from ich, my cbb was strong and active. Lets not forget how gorgeous the fish is.
I do like mine it’s just I prefer the Longirostris and compared to other butterflies, their colouring isn’t what you’d expect. They are also one of the most common butterflies you can find in the hobby because of their beauty. Again, I own one as well and don’t mind them however I do find they’re rather overrated compared to some of those other butterflies out there which are easier but also they may not be as risky.
2E022B8E-E1AF-46FB-A146-824D962CCD47.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed - mine was a pig - you just have you just have to be sure you get a healthy one IMHO - Unfortunately - my tusk attacked mine (and no - it wasn't an example of a dead body being eating )- I saw it .

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back