Prolonged uronema?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so i have bought a few chromis, before knowing about uronema. They were all put in quarantine tanks with other fish and i did not pay any special attention to them.

The quarantine tanks were treated with copperpower for about 40 days, then prazi, and then metro in water and with food and focus. I was just following humbles suggestions.

After 14 days of metro, and stumbling across what uronema was, i notice one chromis (still i presume) has these red sores:

20210202_203115.jpg
20210202_203116.jpg
20210202_203118.jpg

Looks like uronoma to me:

Screenshot_20210202-203948_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I did a 95% water change, cleaned all equipment pretty well, and re-dosed with metro. The bottle says i can treat for up three weeks "until symptoms disapear."

No other fish are exhibiting any signs or symptoms at all. Other chromis have no signs or symptoms, except one might have a tiny spot. Debatable there.

My thought was to treat with metro for one more week, any way, as a group and hopefully symptoms disappear.

Any other suggestions?

Maybe after the week, if any symptoms, remove the chromis to their own quarantine tanks, and give the rest of the fish a break from meds, then dose them (none chromis fish) one more session of metro before being added to the display?

Deal with chromis in their own quarantine best i can until cured (or flushed?)...

Thanks!

Edit: Is this possibly a bacterial infection?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing is that i do think the red spots have been there for some time and the fish is not dead.

I do have some antibiotic dip recommended by humble.

Based on quick reading, maybe not uronema?

I'll try the antibiotic dip here in a moment, cant hurt?

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble fish does say metro at least removes the parasite from the qt and equipment:

"Metro works on uronema by disrupting the DNA which prevents the parasites from reproducing. So, after 14 days of dosing metro all brook & uronema should be gone from the QT. Equipment and all."

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll read up.

I did catch two of the three relatively easily from the qt's. Theyre getting an antibacterial dip just to see what that does, ill repeat for the next few days per instructions.

20210202_213813.jpg

P.S. A 200 watt heater in a gallon jug is not recommended. Luckily i checked the temperature. It was only 94F within like 5 to 10 minutes! LOL!!

A couple ice cubes took care of that, but if any disease doesnt kill these poor jerks maybe my dummy will!! Hahahahaha

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble fish does say metro at least removes the parasite from the qt and equipment:

"Metro works on uronema by disrupting the DNA which prevents the parasites from reproducing. So, after 14 days of dosing metro all brook & uronema should be gone from the QT. Equipment and all."
Also Humblefish says “A fish infected with Uronema should also be fed food soaked with metronidazole because the disease can spread internally. Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.”

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. A 200 watt heater in a gallon jug is not recommended. Luckily i checked the temperature. It was only 94F within like 5 to 10 minutes! LOL!!

A couple ice cubes took care of that, but if any disease doesnt kill these poor jerks maybe my dummy will!! Hahahahaha
Get a 50 watt heater off amazon. This one comes in really handy for any quarantining or dipping in small buckets. It even has a display for the temp.
PGFUNNY 50W Aquarium Heater,...

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Humblefish says “A fish infected with Uronema should also be fed food soaked with metronidazole because the disease can spread internally. Seachem Focus can be used to bind the medication to the food.”

Been doing that for the last two weeks already... not because of uromena just because i just did what humble generally says to do... lol

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i am not going to say that they'll be flushed, but they have moved closer to the toilet. Lol.

I call this the "Samsung 2 amp Wall Adapter Hospice Center for Uronema Patients"

Conveniently located you could say....

However, all medications recommended, are employed to bring about possible recovery :)

20210202_230612.jpg
20210202_230626.jpg
20210202_231430.jpg

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One scoop of metro is for ten gallons every 48 hours. Says difficult to overdose. These guys are damsels. I mean they have to wait until Friday for heater anyway, so doctor at Samsung Hospice Center recommended 1/2 scoop metro to start out their stay at this luxory underwater resort getaway, complete with fake plants.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is interested in a live stream from the "Samsung 2 amp Wall Adapter Hospice Center for Uronema Patients"--just let me know :)

Here's some footage. It's pretty exciting! lol. These poor fish, hope they make it!

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing is that i do think the red spots have been there for some time and the fish is not dead.

I do have some antibiotic dip recommended by humble.

Based on quick reading, maybe not uronema?

I'll try the antibiotic dip here in a moment, cant hurt?
As they say, it’s complicated. Take a look in the article section here for my take on this, search for red band disease.
Uronema is a ubiquitous protozoan, it can be isolated from most established aquariums. It mostly infects newly acquired chromis, anthias and wrasse. It’s normal habit it to feed on bacteria. You can also get mixed infections of Uronema and bacteria. It becomes an acute disease of fish only on occasion. Oral metronidazole won’t work- that needs to be dosed at 5000 ppm in food, and that is too bitter for fish to accept very well. Chloroquine had some promise, but we can’t get that now. Generally, to play it safe, house any affected fish for 45 days after symptoms abate before moving them to a DT.
Jay

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what the wife is gunna say about this one??? As she washes her hands in a bathroom, oh my god, hahahahahahaha. Well if no more posts tomorrow, i'll finally be dead.... lol
Good job of doing everything you can to save these fish. I hope they all heal up.

And yeah, your likely dead. Doing Methylene blue on the bathroom counter? You better not have gotten dye anywhere or... Yep, your dead;)

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, to play it safe, house any affected fish for 45 days after symptoms abate before moving them to a DT.
Jay
Do i keep treating with metro, food and water, until symptoms abate? Antibiotics for a week? Its not even a gallon tank tank, not a huge expense or deal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do i keep treating with metro, food and water, until symptoms abate? Antibiotics for a week? Its not even a gallon tank tank, not a huge expense or deal.
That’s a good question based on severity of infection.
As bad as it sounds, does one spend another $10-12 in medication when you you can replace the fish for that
Admiring is your willingness to save the fish which also promotes education on treatment of disease.
That flesh is raw which makes it hard to pose what direction to take

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good question based on severity of infection.
As bad as it sounds, does one spend another $10-12 in medication when you you can replace the fish for that
Admiring is your willingness to save the fish which also promotes education on treatment of disease.
That flesh is raw which makes it hard to pose what direction to take

I mean if money was a concern, i would not be in this hobby. Right?! Really just do not like losing--to anything. lol. And the knowledge gained and practice on qt protocols with $10 fish is worth quite a bit to me--so i can not lose expensive fish later. Say that come down with this crazy disease.... and there is the pet factor. I don't half-hazardly dispose of my pets because of money, surely not to save $10...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back