Radium bulbs

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run LEDs and to be honest don’t care for them. Yes I’m an old schooler who likes on off light schedules. Like the simplicity of plug in timers, supplement lights with T5’s or led strip lights. My love for coral lighting is halides. No programming, no color renditions, no intensity figuring ect ect. I just want proven lighting without all the fancy stuff. That being said I am considering going back to halides from LEDs. My concern is bulb existence. Will halide bulbs be available for years to come....primarily radium 20k’s?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently run LEDs and to be honest don’t care for them. Yes I’m an old schooler who likes on off light schedules. Like the simplicity of plug in timers, supplement lights with T5’s or led strip lights. My love for coral lighting is halides. No programming, no color renditions, no intensity figuring ect ect. I just want proven lighting without all the fancy stuff. That being said I am considering going back to halides from LEDs. My concern is bulb existence. Will halide bulbs be available for years to come....primarily radium 20k’s?
I don't think there is any way to know? Many here say 'no', many here say 'of course'. In any case, my guess is that LED technology will eventually match halides, and they will be a thing of the past. Plenty of people grow coral, etc with LED's. Curious what is your objection?

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is any way to know? Many here say 'no', many here say 'of course'. In any case, my guess is that LED technology will eventually match halides, and they will be a thing of the past. Plenty of people grow coral, etc with LED's. Curious what is your objection

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting for sps primarily but simplicity is really my goal. I’m not tech oriented so getting on computer and finding right ratios ect is not my cup of tea. I like turn lights on/off has worked for me for 20 years. Now I have LEDs ( because I know it’s coming) and hate it. Maybe I will have to conform.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only God knows. Anything can happen, right?!

BUT... as for today, and as far as I know, Hamilton is strongly up and running. They are working hard restocking after they sold great part of their inventory early this year. So... I think if we still have them supplying US, we shouldn't have to worry too much.
People get confused when they see videos talking about "bans" and stuff like that. Keep in mind that the majority of those who try to spread such rumors, or try to impose LEDs in this market, are trying to eradicate what THEY call "old technologies", promoting more profitable lighting systems with their famous frequent updates. In EU T5s are still strong and one of the most common reef lights. Many in US still use them. I lobe T5s!!! Same with halides! 10 years ago they were saying the same exact thing! Halide gear is selling a lot right now, comparing to what they were 3 years ago.
In my personal opinion, comparing results, knowing that the physics involving halides, T5s and LEDs work differently, there is no way any LED will be able literally substitute/ surpass metal halides in physical terms. "Substitution" can be done only sacrificing results.

If you know how great haldes are and want to stick with them, do so! Another truth is that life is very short!!! We will probably die before our halide fixtures and ballasts be gone. Hamilton will provide the bulbs, so... enjoy the present!!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lighting for sps primarily but simplicity is really my goal. I’m not tech oriented so getting on computer and finding right ratios ect is not my cup of tea. I like turn lights on/off has worked for me for 20 years. Now I have LEDs ( because I know it’s coming) and hate it. Maybe I will have to conform.
I basically 'set them and forget them' (the LED's as well). IMHO the more 'tinkering' one does with LED's - the better.

EDIT - THAT SHOULD HAVE READ THE LESS 'TINKERING' the better

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought exercise. NOT any particular recommendation NOR any critique of anyone's choices.

First doubt if reef centric halides will disappear anytime soon.
Problem is it is based on how much $'s manuf can make off of them. Small lot product, niche market.

Biggest "threat" seems to be ceramic metal halides which atm do not come in reef friendly (general opinions) colors.
not even going to say color temp because most of that is BS anyways.
BUT since they use different bases, different ballasts major users (not aquariums of any kind) are faced with the same replacement choice as they would in deciding mh or LED.

As to MH's being simple and LED complex well.. neither is exactly true.
"complexity" of Radiums i.e ballast choices color rendition ect.
As an example of led's being "simple. Sanjays run the Radions full.. sit back.
Nobody needs to ramp on off.

As to intensity ect.. both techs benefit from REAL world measurements.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought exercise. NOT any particular recommendation NOR any critique of anyone's choices.

First doubt if reef centric halides will disappear anytime soon.
Problem is it is based on how much $'s manuf can make off of them. Small lot product, niche market.

Biggest "threat" seems to be ceramic metal halides which atm do not come in reef friendly (general opinions) colors.
BUT since they use different bases, different ballasts major users (not aquariums of any kind) are faced with the same replacement choice as they would in deciding mh or LED.

As to MH's being simple and LED complex well.. neither is exactly true.
"complexity" of Radiums i.e ballast choices color rendition ect.
As an example of led's being "simple. Sanjays run the Radions full.. sit back.
Nobody needs to ramp on off.

As to intensity ect.. both techs benefit from REAL world measurements.
I currently run LEDs and to be honest don’t care for them.

My love for coral lighting is halides.
I just want proven lighting without all the fancy stuff. That being said I am considering going back to halides from LEDs.

My concern is bulb existence. Will halide bulbs be available for years to come....primarily radium 20k’s?
I'm under the impression that the OP has already made his decision for metal halides. His concern is in respect to availability.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm under the impression that the OP has already made his decision for metal halides. His concern is in respect to availability.
I think he answered the question...? He said he 'doesnt think they are going to be going anywhere soon'? To me, the problem is - that (no offense to the OP) - its an impossible question to answer. Some government may come out in 2 weeks and say - sorry they arent allowed to be made, etc etc. So now there is a situation of where the OP is going to change his lights to MH - and then in a year not have a bulb. So - IMHO - no criticism to you - the discussion of all the issues I think is valuable.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many are like you. They are still running halides without any problems. Like I said, Hamilton has no problems selling halide gear. They are out of stock but they said most of the stuff will be in stock soon.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In EU T5s are still strong and one of the most common reef lights. Many in US still use them. I lobe T5s!!! Same with halides! 10 years ago they were saying the same exact thing! Halide gear is selling a lot right now, comparing to what they were 3 years ago.
I just read through all the regulations - and according to my understanding of what I read - there is strong encouragement to get rid of all of the previous 'flourescent' exemptions, by September 2021. I ASSUME, this would include T5 aquarium bulbs?
From my reading - it says that Ceramic replacements are often identical base-wise. The encouragement from teh report I read was that ceramic based 'replacements' should be matched to current bases for a number of reasons.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he answered the question...? He said he 'doesnt think they are going to be going anywhere soon'? To me, the problem is - that (no offense to the OP) - its an impossible question to answer. Some government may come out in 2 weeks and say - sorry they arent allowed to be made, etc etc. So now there is a situation of where the OP is going to change his lights to MH - and then in a year not have a bulb. So - IMHO - no criticism to you - the discussion of all the issues I think is valuable.
Yeah, I got your message, and you are right.
Tomorrow the government can say halides are banned in EU. Those rumors are around since 10+ years ago though. AND... they are saying that will happen only in EU. Who knows? Could be a global thing.
Get 10 halide bulbs today and you can have them going for 10 years!
Today you have Radions. Tomorrow they can close EcoTech and no more Radions, no more customer service, no more web site... That happens all the time in many countries with many companies! Can happen to ANY LED company, right?
I don't think he wants Radions, but Radiums.
You are right... anything can happen!
Tomorrow anyone here could die too, so...
Yeah, you are right, my friend.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through all the regulations - and according to my understanding of what I read - there is strong encouragement to get rid of all of the previous 'flourescent' exemptions, by September 2021. I ASSUME, this would include T5 aquarium bulbs?

From my reading - it says that Ceramic replacements are often identical base-wise. The encouragement from teh report I read was that ceramic based 'replacements' should be matched to current bases for a number of reasons.
Like I've said... that type of rumor is going on for more than a decade.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like I've said... that type of rumor is going on for more than a decade.
I don't quite get your point. Many types of bulbs have been banned both in the US and the EU. He asked a question stating (paraphrased) - he was concerned about halide bulb availability. Whether the rumor has been around for a decade or 10 minutes - to me anyway - the question is what is the likelihood. 10 years ago - no one would have guessed that the government (right or wrongly) was planning to spend billions of dollars putting up electric charging stations all over the country to eliminate gas powered engines. But there have been rumors about electric cars for 'years' also. My strong feeling - is that within the next 2-3 years, metal halides and T5 bulbs will be banned. So - to the OP - If I were you - since its impossible to know. Invest in the best LED technology, set it go to on and off like a halide, and be happy. The reason I say this - because - you could end up messing up your existing tank by changing, and to what benefit? If you were starting a completely new tank - I might give you a different answer (i.e. try the halide). FWIW - its also quite possible that the entire fish trade could be banned within 5 years if some people have their way (if you don't believe me - google PETA's opinion on it.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way... as we type here, I called Hamilton to have an idea of when they will get some halides in and they just got their Radium bulbs restocked from Germany today.
They don't know anything about banning. Not even T5s.

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your responses! I know it’s a difficult question for no one knows the future. The led/MH discussion has been very in-depth discussed before. I’ve had great results before with halides and like the results they provide. I know ALOT of people who love LEDs and swear by them with great results. Not bashing or even want to start that discussion. I was curious what people thought about bulb replacement availability in the future. Just curious what people felt was the probable?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
By the way... as we type here, I called Hamilton to have an idea of when they will get some halides in and they just got their Radium bulbs restocked from Germany today.
They don't know anything about banning. Not even T5s.
Though it is funny - on their website, the first thing that comes up is an advertisement for LED fixture.
I appreciate your responses! I know it’s a difficult question for no one knows the future. The led/MH discussion has been very in-depth discussed before. I’ve had great results before with halides and like the results they provide. I know ALOT of people who love LEDs and swear by them with great results. Not bashing or even want to start that discussion. I was curious what people thought about bulb replacement availability in the future. Just curious what people felt was the probable?
I personally like MH bulbs. I do not think they will last - here or in Europe. As to the the probability thats the hard question. People that like MH will tend to say 'they will be around'. People that live in states where literally every 10 minutes there is a new ban - and who don't have a huge care one way or the other (like me) - would tend to say 'they will be gone in 5 years or perhaps less. Thats just my 'guess' which is what you wanted. Very few people thought the keystone pipeline would be cancelled either. yet - where are we....

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just got out of the phone with ATI North America. They said there is no banning in EU or any other place. The banning will be ONLY for bulbs used FOR COMMERCIAL OR HOUSE. Probably T12, not T5s.
The specific type of bulb, like aquarium bulbs, won't have anything to do with that, if hat ban comes to past.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I guess, if Hamilton said they just got a shipping of halides that came from Germany and there is no banning in EU (or any other place) for specialized halide aquarium bulbs, and ATI said the same thing about the T5s today, I think we can relax for now. The bannig will be only for non-specialized type of bulbs, in general. Most likely only T12 fluorescent.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back