Reef Pest

striker24!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
So I started out in the reef hobby very careless as I wasn’t too sure if I’d enjoy it and I tried to do this on a budget. Fast forward 8 months in, I never quarantined anything, fish or corals. I had a ich breakout and I really enjoy the hobby so I want to do it right this time. Im currently going fallow and have my 6 fishes in quarantine, but I’ve noticed I have some times of pests on my rocks and possibly even on my corals. I’m thinking of dipping all my corals, but I’m assuming the pests would still be on the rocks, so how can I go about treating everything? Would I have to start completely over with new dry rock and sand bed? Or do I just have to deal with it at this point? I was thinking if it’s possible to dip all the corals along with the rocks, but not sure if that is possible or would have a negative effect in the long run. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crypto Bitcoin GIF by Cyril Blondel

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
So I started out in the reef hobby very careless as I wasn’t too sure if I’d enjoy it and I tried to do this on a budget. Fast forward 8 months in, I never quarantined anything, fish or corals. I had a ich breakout and I really enjoy the hobby so I want to do it right this time. Im currently going fallow and have my 6 fishes in quarantine, but I’ve noticed I have some times of pests on my rocks and possibly even on my corals. I’m thinking of dipping all my corals, but I’m assuming the pests would still be on the rocks, so how can I go about treating everything? Would I have to start completely over with new dry rock and sand bed? Or do I just have to deal with it at this point? I was thinking if it’s possible to dip all the corals along with the rocks, but not sure if that is possible or would have a negative effect in the long run. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Could be copeapods. Explain these pests further. I know tiny creatures are hard to get pictures of
Staring George Costanza GIF

OP
OP
S

striker24!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be copeapods. Explain these pests further. I know tiny creatures are hard to get pictures of
Staring George Costanza GIF
I’m thinking it can be vermitid snails based on the looks of it when I compare it to what I’ve read online and they are like stringy as you can see from the picture. Then I also have on some frag plugs what appears to be pineapple sponges as in the 2nd pictures, but not sure if it is or it’s something worse. Any advise or feedback is greatly appreciated.
5665AB6E-9D2F-4A60-8A0C-28F0CB1ABFF5.jpeg
C2FE319F-81C5-4B59-AC99-58E189C50233.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking it can be vermitid snails based on the looks of it when I compare it to what I’ve read online and they are like stringy as you can see from the picture. Then I also have on some frag plugs what appears to be pineapple sponges as in the 2nd pictures, but not sure if it is or it’s something worse. Any advise or feedback is greatly appreciated.
5665AB6E-9D2F-4A60-8A0C-28F0CB1ABFF5.jpeg
C2FE319F-81C5-4B59-AC99-58E189C50233.jpeg
I wouldn’t worry about any of the things I see on your rock. I don’t know why people want sterile tanks these days, but all of the biodiversity and microfauna will lead to a more stable aquarium. Personally, I’ll never use dry rock again, live rock is better in every way. The vermetids you can superglue the hole of their tube, the sponges are harmless. Also, don’t boil your rocks, this is how people get sick from palytoxin. I would just take care of the vermetids (which I’ve never really seen negatively affect my corals, but I’ve also never had any of the really massive ones, yours aren’t that kind either), and enjoy observing the complex ecosystem you’ve fostered.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Welcome to Da Reef!
Marine Biology Ocean GIF

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like vermatid snails as already said, I have loads of them and although I know they can cause problems it’s not something I’ve ever noticed. There just part of the ecosystem

But you can remove them, albeit fiddly if you want to

And welcome as well!

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

dipping rocks is not a good idea

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Attachments

• 72267.png
    72267.png
    57 KB · Views: 20

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Don't look at them as pests. They are not. There are some things that get in our tanks that can cause problems because they feed on things we're trying to keep or because they can get to plaque concentrations in a small eco system but a reef tank is not a sterile environment with just those life forms you introduced and I can assure you that having a diverse eco system will be MUCH easier to care for. What I see in your tank for pests, I wish were in my tank. I started this tank with dry rock and it is a constant balancing act until it gets more bio-diversity.

R2RWelcome.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Welcome! Glad you joined. Hoping you refrain from going nuclear in reaction to what happened. Like much in this hobby, treat it as a learning item and sounds like you already plan on going/being better going forward. Be glad it wasn't so much worse (pest or disease) and expect to just live with it. Healthy fish can fight off ich so IF it reappears just try to keep them well fed and quality stable water parameters. Ich got into my main tank and reappears every blue moon, but I'm trying to have my fish so healthy that if they had a quality partner then they would breed (and my clownfish are breeding despite ich and other 'issues' in tank (that I'm working to minimize))

'Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can" - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back