Refugium light

Kilo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there im considering implementing a small refugium in my sump for my nano 20g... was looking at the kessil h80 but i dont want to spend another 100$ on a controller if there is another light that has a free app... any suggestions for a good light i can set to a schedule to turn on an off when i want?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of good, small refugium lights on Amazon- you should be able to find something that fits your need.

As for the Kessil, I am running 3 x A160 refugium lights on cheap Alexa-compatible smart plugs. No controller needed! :) The Kessil lights are great, wouldn't run a tank without them!

Lighting is a religion though, so 10 reefers will tell you 10 different things.

OP
OP
K

Kilo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What algea do you run in your refugium? Are there benefits to any that outweigh that of the standard cheato?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What algea do you run in your refugium? Are there benefits to any that outweigh that of the standard cheato?
I run "standard" chaeto very efficiently :)

DrinkinPepsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run this. Works great. Many others on this forum also use this and have no issues.

GROESTAR Growstar 150W Led Grow Light, Full Spectrum UV & IR Plant Light with High Par Value COB Grow Light for Indoor Greenhouse Plants Gardening, Flowering https://a.co/d/dg5bWga

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cheap led grow lights from Amazon and also grow light bulbs in clip on work lights from home depot. I have 3 chaeto fuges running. There is no way I would spend the money on a kessil or any other high end fuge light unless system appearance very important to you.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cheap led grow lights from Amazon and also grow light bulbs in clip on work lights from home depot. I have 3 chaeto fuges running. There is no way I would spend the money on a kessil or any other high end fuge light unless system appearance very important to you.
What output do you get from those Amazon lights? :) Just out of curiosity..

I light my fuge with 100w for 8 hours every night.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started with an experiment with cheato and a low power 50w coral LED. So far, the cheato has already doubled in less than a week so it's certainly growing rapidly.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What output do you get from those Amazon lights? :) Just out of curiosity..

I light my fuge with 100w for 8 hours every night.
To be honest I'm not really sure of the wattage. I do get better results from the grow light bulb in a fixture than the led but I keep fuges more for a place for critters to live than nutrient export. I don't really think they are great at export. But I'm probably not a good judge of that tho since I only harvest my chaeto when it's overflowing because I can never get all the brittle stars out and don't like killing them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back