Saving a wall hammer

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Not that long ago my father gifted me a beautiful wall hammer and while checking on the tank last night after lights out a few nights ago I saw some dead tissue and some recession that was otherwise covered by PE. For many reasons I would like to do everything I can to bring it back, I think the cause was an alk drop ( down to 6... slowly bringing it back to 8-9) and all the other hammers and frogspawn were only moderately upset but the new guy didn't take it to well. I siphoned off some of the dead tissue, started dosing some amino acids and planned on doing an iodine dip. I'm also planning on moving as many of the other euphyllia into my more stable tank to make sure they aren't exposed to what appears to be the beginning of bjd. If there is anything esle I can do or if anyone has been able to bring a wall hammer back I'd love some input. Photo below was taken as soon as I turned the lights on to minimize PE.

Thanks in Advance!
IMG_2123.jpg

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tough. Not having too much experience, but reading a lot and having some euphyllia issues of my own which I'm pretty sure I knew the cause of, I would say first and foremost, try to isolate it from the rest of your euphyllia.

From what I have read, fragging the wall hammer could be a 50/50 on what survives. You're probably already doing this, but I would turn off any flow when syphoning the dead tissue. I wonder if super gluing the space in between living and necrotic tissue would have any benefit. I know that this has helped others with RTN on SPS.

Beautiful corals nonetheless! wish you all the luck!

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tough. Not having too much experience, but reading a lot and having some euphyllia issues of my own which I'm pretty sure I knew the cause of, I would say first and foremost, try to isolate it from the rest of your euphyllia.

From what I have read, fragging the wall hammer could be a 50/50 on what survives. You're probably already doing this, but I would turn off any flow when syphoning the dead tissue. I wonder if super gluing the space in between living and necrotic tissue would have any benefit. I know that this has helped others with RTN on SPS.

Beautiful corals nonetheless! wish you all the luck!
Thank you for your input! I've only been siphoning the tissue off when both the wave maker and filter are turned off. Interesting about the super glue, I'm hoping this won't need such a drastic course of action as I’m also fairly new to this.

Back