OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cool, but I am also feeling nostalgic. They look a little like a set of ash trays my parents had in the 70s. And probably still have somewhere.
loL, Now that you say it, they remind me of an ash tray i made my mom at summer camp arts and crafts. Mine was much uglier though!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
loL, Now that you say it, they remind me of an ash tray i made my mom at summer camp arts and crafts. Mine was much uglier though!

It is pretty hilarious that ash trays were such a popular craft when we were young. Could you imagine the reaction if a teacher did that today? LOL.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty hilarious that ash trays were such a popular craft when we were young. Could you imagine the reaction if a teacher did that today? LOL.
Probably headline news and a teacher out of a job. It's crazy how fast things have changed. I don't consider myself old and loved growing up in the 80's. I remember mom smoking on airplanes, my aunt packing 11 of us in her station wagon to go to amusement parks and my dad sitting me down for my first adult beverage at 13. I think I had been driving for a year or so at that point too. All of it pretty normal for the times. Now there's probably a prison sentence somewhere in there :)

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a happier note my wrasse will be getting an upgrade to his bedroom with room to add a couple more sand sleepers. Probably a leopard or three to round out the wrasse stock. I have a couple more of these as well but will see how these integrate into the scape.

ABDF063C-C842-474F-8049-3C628FAB4E9C.jpeg

Awesome, they came in! Can't wait to see them in the tank, how tall are they?

Probably headline news and a teacher out of a job. It's crazy how fast things have changed. I don't consider myself old and loved growing up in the 80's. I remember mom smoking on airplanes, my aunt packing 11 of us in her station wagon to go to amusement parks and my dad sitting me down for my first adult beverage at 13. I think I had been driving for a year or so at that point too. All of it pretty normal for the times. Now there's probably a prison sentence somewhere in there :)

I also remember smoking on airplanes, when I tell people that now they don't believe me. Well... I wasn't smoking on them but my parents were. 4 hours or 12 hours flight it didn't matter I sat in a cloud!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, they came in! Can't wait to see them in the tank, how tall are they?

I also remember smoking on airplanes, when I tell people that now they don't believe me. Well... I wasn't smoking on them but my parents were. 4 hours or 12 hours flight it didn't matter I sat in a cloud!
Ha! You could barely even see out the windows!

The warsse dens vary between 4 and 6" high on the outside depending on the features of the mold. The inside depth is pretty consistent at 3.5/4" on all of them. They will work prefectly and i like that the tops arent wide open. Should help contain the sand better than the couple I have now.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am old enough and have smoked on airplanes. Let’s put everyone in a tube and then leave the last four seats open to smoking. Usually in a packed plane I would not smoke anyway. Seemed so rude.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few days but I finally trapped the Blue Throat Fairy. He got smart somehwere along the way. I got him out of the 40b a few weeks back with no bait. This time he waited for me to walk by the tank and walk out the slider to the patio before going in. Every time I came back inside Id see him in the trap and swim out. I ultimately had to crouch down under his view and wait.

Be that a lesson for impulse buys! Avoid them! To the LFS he’ll go this weekend. For now he’s pouting with the Mandarin and Yellow Tang.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few days but I finally trapped the Blue Throat Fairy. He got smart somehwere along the way. I got him out of the 40b a few weeks back with no bait. This time he waited for me to walk by the tank and walk out the slider to the patio before going in. Every time I came back inside Id see him in the trap and swim out. I ultimately had to crouch down under his view and wait.

Be that a lesson for impulse buys! Avoid them! To the LFS he’ll go this weekend. For now he’s pouting with the Mandarin and Yellow Tang.

Awe... trouble maker?

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe... trouble maker?
Yeah, He was cool in the 40 with the Radiant and Carpenters but once we moved him to the 110 with more of his kind he turned into a terrorist. Never really doing harm but constantly chasing anyone/everyone. I knew any future additions would be bad news.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So based upon my higher than wanted Nitrate and fairly low overall rock weight I added a Brightwell Brick soaked for 48 hours in a bottle of Microbacter 7. Used old tank water and dosed in some NoPox to create a ridiculous bacterial bloom. Hoping it helps. Being Ive gone bare bottom im trying to follow the BRS/WWC approach as best I can. No 4 month cycle time obviously but otherwise we can do this.

AED1F416-D534-464C-8BA8-B73EEAC68574.jpeg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So based upon my higher than wanted Nitrate and fairly low overall rock weight I added a Brightwell Brick soaked for 48 hours in a bottle of Microbacter 7. Used old tank water and dosed in some NoPox to create a ridiculous bacterial bloom. Hoping it helps. Being Ive gone bare bottom im trying to follow the BRS/WWC approach as best I can. No 4 month cycle time obviously but otherwise we can do this.

AED1F416-D534-464C-8BA8-B73EEAC68574.jpeg

I've heard good stuff about those bricks, and I'm actually contemplating putting the Marine Pure spheres into my next project. They work great at reducing NO3 into N2 and O2

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard good stuff about those bricks, and I'm actually contemplating putting the Marine Pure spheres into my next project. They work great at reducing NO3 into N2 and O2
I used marine pure plates in the Reefer and original Biocube setup. No complaints. I would have gone with the spheres had I known about them. I like this Brightwell brick. Its definitely cleaner more durable than the marine pure was. Less breakage/debris. Will see how it holds up over time.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used marine pure plates in the Reefer and original Biocube setup. No complaints. I would have gone with the spheres had I known about them. I like this Brightwell brick. Its definitely cleaner more durable than the marine pure was. Less breakage/debris. Will see how it holds up over time.

Are you aware of a smaller size, that maybe perhaps fit in the back of an AIO? That's my only complaint with the Marine Pure is it falling apart into sand.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aware of a smaller size, that maybe perhaps fit in the back of an AIO? That's my only complaint with the Marine Pure is it falling apart into sand.

I know they make X-port in smaller cube sizes 1.5”. Not 100% sure on the difference but the one I bought wasn’t X-port just a plain old bio block.

Rozdab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build and journal you have going!
Sorry if this has been asked already but:
Did you use abs board or anything on the bottom? Are the rocks sitting on the glass?
If you used something, are you happy with it?

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build and journal you have going!
Sorry if this has been asked already but:
Did you use abs board or anything on the bottom? Are the rocks sitting on the glass?
If you used something, are you happy with it?
Hi there, thanks for checking out the build. Glad your enjoying it! Theres a 1/8” ABS liner on the bottom between the lower eurobracing. The manufacturer CDAquarium installed it during the build. I do believe BRS is selling them or something similar nowadays if you’re interested. Im looking forward to seeing it covered with encrusting corals someday!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Brightwell plates in my sump since I put the 90 together. Moved them right into the Waterbox sump. I think that had a lot to do with my short cycle too...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back