Seachem phytoplankton

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ingredients: Water, Sodium chloride, Thalassiosira weissflogii, Acetic Acid, Isochrysis sp, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Nannochloropsis, Astaxanthin

I dont think it will unless you over do it.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes. Whether it is noticeable or not i cant guess. It is dead organic matter though and i have to think at least some will not be consumed. Assuming a reasonable dose it should be minimal.

I use live phyto(a lot) and it helps to control my nutrients but i did have to build up to a large dose. Initially i started too big and it was not being utilized fast enough and seemed to spike my nitrates. I would recommend live phyto for sure if that is an option for youm

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a guy that sells live phyto and its pricy at 25 dollars a month

It's really easy to culture. Just put a light over container with a bubbler. Add saltwater and your favorite living brand. Buy some fertilizer on ebay. . Add that. Room temp is fine. Every 10 days or so i just toss in fridge. When that batch is lower, cleaner the container, use a bit of it to start another. You can do this for a while. Kinda like culturing beer yeast starter cultures. If the culture poops out over time just get another bottle of your favorite as a starter.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the glare!
Missing from the shot it my white tail bristletooth.

PXL_20210318_210626116.jpg

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will my flowerpot eat already dead, bottled phyto

I think corals eat dead or alive food, more to do with the size and coral in particular. I feed reefroids and live phyto. Reefroids (dead zooplankton) raises phosphate levels to about 0.13ppm in my aquarium whereas if I stop feeding it and just live phyto (and fish food), very quickly my phosphates drop to about 0.03ppm (took me a while to narrow down what was raising my phosphates, but eliminating one thing at a time did the trick)

I don't see any difference in corals either way and nuisance algae does not exist either way (except in refugium, but i am ok with that). Flowerpots (depending on what you have??), from what i understand and double check this, may like larger foods than Phyto instead (or as well) such zooplankton and finely chopped fish foods.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back