Showpiece fish for 55

Fam5dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've been slowly building my 55 gallon reef up for close to 5 months now. Things have been going well for the fish and are all happy. The coral is a little drab because I can't get nitrates and phosphates to read and the tanks bottomed out.

I've started dosing Tropic Marin plus NP and turning my skimmer off at night. Never have I ever had a tank without nitrates! I'm not using GFO or anything to remove them so I'm going to wait patiently and focus on the fish for now.

That said I'm feeding the fish what I think is a lot and they are all very happy. I like what I have in there and have almost all the fish I think I want. There are 4 chromis in qt but I may put them in a different tank. I think I want 1 more stunning showpiece fish and would like recommendations. I like Anthias but many seem to need bigger tanks. I like Carpenter Flasher Wrasse but ideally want something larger. Ideally is like something in the 6-8" range that would really capture you're attention. Maybe a one spot Foxface? Tank inhabitants are below. Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

1. Fire fish
2. Two percula clowns
3. Coral Beauty
4. Six line wrasse
5. Neon Dottyback
6. Blue Dot Toby Puffer
7. Coral banded shrimp
8. Two peppermint shrimp
9. Conch
10. Four hermits
11. Four Astraea snails

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a good amount of algae? Anything 6 to 8" will be too large for your tank. I'd look at some various wrasses

OP
OP
Fam5dad

Fam5dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a good amount of algae? Anything 6 to 8" will be too large for your tank. I'd look at some various wrasses
Yes there is a fair amount on the back glass. The snails keep the rocks fairly clean.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question... How is the coral banded shrimp getting along with his mates? I have always loved them but I know they can be aggressive.

For a showpiece fish, I have always favored Tangs. Either a Hippo (Dory) or a Yellow would be beautiful in your tank. They are active swimmers and good algae eaters, while also being reef safe.

That said, they WILL outgrow a 55. My yellow that I got as a very small juvenile has already more than doubled in size I think I got him in March? So, maybe 4 months?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there is a fair amount on the back glass. The snails keep the rocks fairly clean.
Algae in the tank is consuming nutrients. Turning the skimmer off is probably not beneficial for you.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface is a great fish. So is a copperband.

20BC941F-E987-4807-9F25-D6290200B299.jpeg
26F2AD64-C5E4-4D22-A767-EE9927AF8B6B.jpeg

hworner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about adding a toby puffer to my tank and am just wondering how he is with inverts? Does he pick on them at all? I have a similar size tank and looking to get a Pygmy wasp fish for my show fish!

OP
OP
Fam5dad

Fam5dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question... How is the coral banded shrimp getting along with his mates? I have always loved them but I know they can be aggressive.

For a showpiece fish, I have always favored Tangs. Either a Hippo (Dory) or a Yellow would be beautiful in your tank. They are active swimmers and good algae eaters, while also being reef safe.

That said, they WILL outgrow a 55. My yellow that I got as a very small juvenile has already more than doubled in size I think I got him in March? So, maybe 4 months?
My banded shrimp is ok with everyone. The peppermint know to stay away. If they get close he may wave his claws but they are so fast he doesn't have a chance. I wouldn't have combined them if I didn't see an Aptasia pop up. They ate it months ago and it's all good now. I like inverts as much as the fish so glad they are all happy. My banded hides a good 80% so I may just have a docile one.

I'd really like a hippo but don't think Mrs. K would be on board with an upgrade in six months or even a year. She likes the tank but dropping 3-4 grand to do my long term plan will take some convincing. So I'm looking for smaller fish for now.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've been slowly building my 55 gallon reef up for close to 5 months now. Things have been going well for the fish and are all happy. The coral is a little drab because I can't get nitrates and phosphates to read and the tanks bottomed out.

I've started dosing Tropic Marin plus NP and turning my skimmer off at night. Never have I ever had a tank without nitrates! I'm not using GFO or anything to remove them so I'm going to wait patiently and focus on the fish for now.

That said I'm feeding the fish what I think is a lot and they are all very happy. I like what I have in there and have almost all the fish I think I want. There are 4 chromis in qt but I may put them in a different tank. I think I want 1 more stunning showpiece fish and would like recommendations. I like Anthias but many seem to need bigger tanks. I like Carpenter Flasher Wrasse but ideally want something larger. Ideally is like something in the 6-8" range that would really capture you're attention. Maybe a one spot Foxface? Tank inhabitants are below. Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

1. Fire fish
2. Two percula clowns
3. Coral Beauty
4. Six line wrasse
5. Neon Dottyback
6. Blue Dot Toby Puffer
7. Coral banded shrimp
8. Two peppermint shrimp
9. Conch
10. Four hermits
11. Four Astraea snails
Get a multicolor angel!