Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unit is Powered up, flashing Red (No probes Connected)

Since the unit is constructed in Germany, English is not the default on the display.

IMG_1076.JPG

Press the Check Mark on the unit to bring up the Menu using the arrow keys scroll down until you Highlight Extra That the easy one it was in English on the Menu

Once in the Extra menu using the arrow keys scroll down until you highlight Language oh wait Sprache hehe and again press the Check Mark

IMG_1077.JPG

Using the arrow keys scroll down until you highlight Language you wish to have your unit use, and press the check mark

IMG_1078.JPG

Sorry German is Rusty hehe, but I think this is Are you Sure hehe. Using the arrows click the one to the left to highlight ja and then press the check mark (Mine asked for me to do it twice)
IMG_1079.JPG

Whooohoo it now in English
My German is rusty too, but what I think it's actually asking is if you want it to make a sound when you press a button..."Touch noise", or "Key noise".

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interested to follow your progress. Does GHL monitor Nitrate and Phosphate in tank water? Does anyone? Is this 2021?? (Apologies for the hyperbole)

However, it feels ridiculous that the companies cannot produce reliable monitors and probes for an aquarium, when sensors and colorimeters have been there forever.

The aquarium equipment hobby needs a serious disruption. In the industry's defense though, it has come a long way. The last time i was in this hobby (2011) LED lights were just coming out (and were ridiculously expensive). T5s were still kinda the new-ish kid in the block, and tank-monitors were mostly DIY, or insanely priced. Someone will take this industry by storm for sure. As they say down here in TX - "The only cure for high prices, is high prices".
GHL's ION direct is due to start shipping within the month (supposedly by the end of April) and will test Nitrates. I believe dosatronic may as well?

Phosphate is harder because of the levels and probe sensitivity.

You can get colorimeters and sensors that could work, but those parts are cost prohibitive compared to hobby grade prices.

LEDs and controllers are still ridiculously expensive imo. Coral is there in the "name game"

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL's ION direct is due to start shipping within the month (supposedly by the end of April) and will test Nitrates. I believe dosatronic may as well?

Phosphate is harder because of the levels and probe sensitivity.

You can get colorimeters and sensors that could work, but those parts are cost prohibitive compared to hobby grade prices.

LEDs and controllers are still ridiculously expensive imo. Coral is there in the "name game"
Yeah - I have heard of Dosatronic's Nitrate Probe. Great to know that GHL will have an option as well. Neptune will likely have a lot of people jump-ship if they fall behind in the monitoring game.

Brave new world. Gotta take the good with the bad. Most importantly we need competition. That's a the only way prices will fall, and quality will improve. Disruption!!

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TigerReef - Thank you for the kind words. I hope this post and the video's help others as much as it helps you. I have new ones I am working on some new ones for the new features coming :)

@Gonzo74 - I try to answer as fast as possible, I like helping the community and the users when it comes to GHL, or swapping from Apex to GHL.

@Gogol_frag - When the IOND releases it will do No3. They have stated they will be releasing additional elements to test, but Phosphate is not one on the list at the time of the release.

@Mark-Stover - Yes when you first power it up it defaults to German, you can connect to either the hotspot with GHL Connect and begin to set it up, use the front pad and change it to English or use the windows desktop software and connect to the device via USB. I show how to change it with the display here (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers-from-apex-to-ghl.316106/post-3900152)

flyairbus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ditto,
I am considering switching from APEX to GHL. I have a question, I have 3 devices which are 24v and are connected to my 1Link. is there something similar in Profilux ?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. They aren't as reckless with potential failure from design as that.

*Technically the power hub could be used in such a manner to drive from a controlled, shared 24v source, but that's for rather advanced installs. Most definitely not plug and play in the traditional sense.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse - On the 24 Volt question.

What are you doing on the 24V port just power up and down the device?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use power hubs and 2 central 24 V DC transformer (plus 3 - 12V DC transformers for other devices)

In this way - I do not need to buy a certain brand. However - if I want them be adjustable with a 1-10V signal - I need to use brands that allow an external 1-10 V signal. Below - my cabinet

IMG_20210507_173341.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
...or one can use multiple P/S for redundancy along with a combiner like this. It can also be wired to apex to alert when one of the P/S lost power. DIfferent P/S can also be powered by the different circuits to further improve reduncancy.

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a summary of the pro/con apex vs ghl - also apex introduced the apex jr; does the ghl have a monitoring base similar to the apex jr? I just want to monitor temp/ec-tds/ph but don't actually want control.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a summary of the pro/con apex vs ghl - also apex introduced the apex jr; does the ghl have a monitoring base similar to the apex jr? I just want to monitor temp/ec-tds/ph but don't actually want control.
instead of 'TDS' - do you mean salinity? Either way, You do not have to use an apex 'for control'. You can just use it for monitoring - which is what I do. I have a Profilux - but haven't yet made the switch. When my Apex fails I will.

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instead of 'TDS' - do you mean salinity? Either way, You do not have to use an apex 'for control'. You can just use it for monitoring - which is what I do. I have a Profilux - but haven't yet made the switch. When my Apex fails I will.
I meant tds; but you have to use the salinity probe - this is for freshwater tank with auto ro/filter water mixer.
-
There is the apex jr for monitoring - i don't think profliux has anything similar.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I meant tds; but you have to use the salinity probe - this is for freshwater tank with auto ro/filter water mixer.
-
There is the apex jr for monitoring - i don't think profliux has anything similar.
I might caution you salinity measurements are notoriously 'wrong' with controllers - there are several threads on R2R. I do not even use my salinity probe on my apex. Nor - especially if you are not wanting to control it - with an ATO, etc, there is no reason not to just use a refractometer IMHO. I am curious, though, why are you wanting to measure TDS on a freshwater aquarium?

EDIT - I can think of several reasons - a discus tank, etc - But - I'm also a bit of a heretic with my discus tank. I suppose an African cichlid tank may also benefit. So I hope you don't take my questions as a criticism..

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might caution you salinity measurements are notoriously 'wrong' with controllers - there are several threads on R2R. I do not even use my salinity probe on my apex. Nor - especially if you are not wanting to control it - with an ATO, etc, there is no reason not to just use a refractometer IMHO. I am curious, though, why are you wanting to measure TDS on a freshwater aquarium?
In tank one - i'm mixing ro/filtered water in a drip system and i want to make sure the tds doesn't drift too much do to errors in the drip system.

In tank two - it is a blackwater tank and i want the ec to stay extremely low and want to be aware if it begins to drift upwards over time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In tank one - i'm mixing ro/filtered water in a drip system and i want to make sure the tds doesn't drift too much do to errors in the drip system.

In tank two - it is a blackwater tank and i want the ec to stay extremely low and want to be aware if it begins to drift upwards over time.
OK - not sure I understand tank 1. In tank 2 - I'm not sure what your abbreviation 'ec' means. Nor am I sure that either controller will measure what you want

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - not sure I understand tank 1. In tank 2 - I'm not sure what your abbreviation 'ec' means. Nor am I sure that either controller will measure what you want
ec is electric conductivityt; almost all tds probes (and i believe sanity probes) are just measure current.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ec is electric conductivityt; almost all tds probes (and i believe sanity probes) are just measure current.
Right and then there are calculations.. Again Curious - why are you wanting to measure this?

jake37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right and then there are calculations.. Again Curious - why are you wanting to measure this?
I told you why - the fishes i'm keeping are sensitive to change in hardness and while tds is not direct hardness there is a relationship if ec drifts up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I told you why - the fishes i'm keeping are sensitive to change in hardness and while tds is not direct hardness there is a relationship if ec drifts up.
Actually - I'm not sure the fish you are keeping are 'that sensitive'. And if they are - a salinity probe designed for reef aquaria - may not be your best bet - either apex nor GHL. So to answer your original question - My strong guess is that there are not any data that suggest one is better than the other on this site. Perhaps a freshwater site - may be a better source of information.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back