Tang has swim bladder issue or something - help please

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before anyone says anything about me post like a thousand treads on this fish that’s because I care about him and am doing everything to try and help him!

I found the problem! I found this huge bin I was able to put him in. He has double the swimming space and upon observing him swimming his swimming is very off. He mainly swimming backwards strictly stays on the bottom. Everything I’ve read online goes with this I just don’t know how to fix it. Here what google says “But, they could also be experiencing some kind of disease. Swim bladder issues, tank water quality or a severe injury can cause a betta to swim backwards more than usual.”

Does anyone know how to help?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a thread for every possible diagnosis. A tang swimming backwards and staying on bottom could just be a stressed out sick tang. There isn't anything magical to fix a nonboyant fish. Antibiotics if we had a reason to believe the fish had an infection.

You said the fish had fast breathing as was better after a FW dip. This could be a sign of flukes, maybe velvet. I believe this was already addressed in the other thread.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before anyone says anything about me post like a thousand treads on this fish that’s because I care about him and am doing everything to try and help him!

I found the problem! I found this huge bin I was able to put him in. He has double the swimming space and upon observing him swimming his swimming is very off. He mainly swimming backwards strictly stays on the bottom. Everything I’ve read online goes with this I just don’t know how to fix it. Here what google says “But, they could also be experiencing some kind of disease. Swim bladder issues, tank water quality or a severe injury can cause a betta to swim backwards more than usual.”

Does anyone know how to help?

Background information, including a short video taken under white light is vital in order for us to try and figure out what the issue is. Take a look at this post:

Jay

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background information, including a short video taken under white light is vital in order for us to try and figure out what the issue is. Take a look at this post:

Jay
May people have said this is just because he is sick or injured. However ever I have seen him do a full back flip proving to have a loss in buoyancy. I know this is not white light but I can tell you there is nothing visible wrong on the fish. Also tank parameters are perfect - it’s new freshly mix salt water

Attachments

• 67201942374__6D54A621-D084-43D9-BFBC-8F6383682CCD.MOV
    2.3 MB

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hiccup could be flukes... I usually think of as yawns but ya... could be something irritating the gills.

I see a Tang with what appears to have a issue with one of its side fins... its not clamped closed to its body but it looks stiff.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May people have said this is just because he is sick or injured. However ever I have seen him do a full back flip proving to have a loss in buoyancy. I know this is not white light but I can tell you there is nothing visible wrong on the fish. Also tank parameters are perfect - it’s new freshly mix salt water
Yes, the fish could be negatively buoyant, that is pretty rare, but does happen. It could also just be very weak. All fish are slightly negatively buoyant (as seen in dead fish, they sink).

Jay

OP
OP
ReefGuy1234

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the fish could be negatively buoyant, that is pretty rare, but does happen. It could also just be very weak. All fish are slightly negatively buoyant (as seen in dead fish, they sink).

Jay
He’s can’t swim anymore and just spirals out of control. What should I do?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any way to fix a fish like that. Maybe Jay does.

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I'm hope full that he don't because he has survived over night multiple times
Any update on your outcome. Going through the same thing with my naso

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back