This is your biggest problem....

Do you have a “big” problems or issues keeping a reef tank?

• Yes and I’ll tell you what it is....

Votes: 49 11.2%
  • Nope no big issues...

Votes: 110 25.2%
  • Nothing big just small things...

Votes: 277 63.5%

• Total voters

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I think for me is, and currently going through it, is how a fish disease gets into my tank when I haven’t added new fish. Come to find out (now) maybe I was too narrow minded, but anything wet can introduce a fish disease. Which kinda takes the fun out since everything is suppose to be wet.

It’s easy for most to say catch the fish and qt them. It’s not as easy as it sounds when you actually glued your rocks into place and the coral has grown all over them. Yet for some strange reason we have all this amazing technology, but in theory we still can not treat ick or velvet in the display tank.

Not to mention (yes I run two uv steralizers), and from the get go almost 19 months into this tank and no disease. Then suddenly poof I have either ick or marine velvet. Now they both have some similar symptoms, and yes I want to treat them. Except in Boise which half a million by now, no lfs carries or sells a fish trap. Not one store carries any of the actual (in theory reef safe treatment).

Yet this entire time of 18 months give or take, I have not added any fish into my system for this reason alone. Yet it’s amazing how some say you can eradicate ick etc some say you can simply control it etc. I’m curious as to why (other than copper) which isn’t reef safe)) why we still simple do not have an upper hand and or understanding exactly everything there is about ick or marine velvet etc.

What does happens in the ocean? I guess it’s simikar to red tide but it’s amazing how we have not developed something that fish can digest that can repell and heal fish from these types of parasites.

As I have read who knows how many pages now, it’s frustrating when there is no definitive solution. Everyone says well qt! Well all my fish were in a qt and I had zero issues for 18 months, and I haven’t added any new fish at all. (Sorry 8 months ago roughly), I added a golden head goby. What’s even worse is the few fish that I have that are aka super keen to getting diseases are the ones that so far have still no issues where as I have two mainly that show sigsns of ick. Yet speaking with some others I don’t know if it’s ick or velvet. It’s to the point I can still count the dots on the fish and they eat like crazy.

But again (side note those who have helped me here and reached out as made it easier and forever in debt), if fish bans actually take affect world wide, what is one to do if this happens? It’s annoying that for example marine depot sells some reef safe ick treatment. But, they are not scientific proven to actually work. Plus I treat my fish and corals like children (as if I have kids) they mean the world to me. But it doesn’t make much sense to rip the tank down to catch the fish when it’s a 50/50 shot even if caught early. Yes there are success stories but it just kinda is not right that some have to weigh the options. Risk losing fish, try and save fish stress out more when catching, 50/50 shot they survive and if it’s velvet more like 80/20. As to let’s stress the corals also and get the sps to rtn etc or kill them off also some how by trying to save the fish. Wouldn’t life be so much better if a company actually made a reef safe that is proven to work more than 50% medication for ick and velvet and brook? I mean why stop there let’s add flukes and everything else.

It’s frustrating (sorry for the vent) when yes I paid extra for my lfs to keep my fish in qt with copper. (They are reliable, I can’t blame them almost 2 years later). I added them in sections within weeks of each other and yes I use uv steralizers, I use garlic guard. I do what it takes to feed them daily and make sure they are healthy. Then suddenly there is an ick break out or worse it’s marine velvet, and the only changes is I added coral from my lfs. Which all of them have fish and corals separate, there are no fish in any of the tanks you can buy coral out of. Which makes really stumble how there was an outbreak. Since all I have done is add a few very small corals, and everything else has stayed the same.

So my frustration is that we have all this technology and science to Grow coral and keep fish. Yet we still haven’t come up with something to eradicate these two parasites and or at least be able to treat them with great success in the display tank.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the Climate:

Indonesia ban, Hawaii ban, import inspections, and just trying to enjoy delicate coral frags in a world filled with little green people who insist that removing fragments from a reef ecosystem will kill all the butterfly’s in Zambia or crate some other huge ecological tragedy because “everything in the universe is connected,”.. Cool.
Meanwhile our neighbors dog barks in its pen and the street sweeper comes every Tuesday to move dust around the city and I get a $65.00 ticket if my car is parked on the street when they come to clean up the gutter toxics collection. (I can get a nice frag for $65!)

Otherwise, my reef is ok inspite of the climate, but just barely.
To piggyback and hopefully contribute to your post ...all the toxins the Asian Continental population and industrial explosion is dumping into the air and oceans but meanwhile 7000 miles away cow farts are becoming illegal because they’ll destroy the planet, battery powered vehicles are supposed to save the planet, wind farms are killing birds, save the whatever group is marching in whatever city and my biggest problem is I can’t seem to get enough frags for my tank

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper! Been battling it for a couple years now and have yet to pinpoint the source. Decimated my 'SPS' and, by now, probably has rendered all my live rock unusable in any new build.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple fact that this hobby has become the rich boys club.
I just paid $6 for a zoa frag with 5 heads that would’ve cost me $600 online. Or more. I live in a big city so there’s competition. I think if this hobby grows bigger, competition will lower prices.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I think for me is, and currently going through it, is how a fish disease gets into my tank when I haven’t added new fish. Come to find out (now) maybe I was too narrow minded, but anything wet can introduce a fish disease. Which kinda takes the fun out since everything is suppose to be wet.

It’s easy for most to say catch the fish and qt them. It’s not as easy as it sounds when you actually glued your rocks into place and the coral has grown all over them. Yet for some strange reason we have all this amazing technology, but in theory we still can not treat ick or velvet in the display tank.

Not to mention (yes I run two uv steralizers), and from the get go almost 19 months into this tank and no disease. Then suddenly poof I have either ick or marine velvet. Now they both have some similar symptoms, and yes I want to treat them. Except in Boise which half a million by now, no lfs carries or sells a fish trap. Not one store carries any of the actual (in theory reef safe treatment).

Yet this entire time of 18 months give or take, I have not added any fish into my system for this reason alone. Yet it’s amazing how some say you can eradicate ick etc some say you can simply control it etc. I’m curious as to why (other than copper) which isn’t reef safe)) why we still simple do not have an upper hand and or understanding exactly everything there is about ick or marine velvet etc.

What does happens in the ocean? I guess it’s simikar to red tide but it’s amazing how we have not developed something that fish can digest that can repell and heal fish from these types of parasites.

As I have read who knows how many pages now, it’s frustrating when there is no definitive solution. Everyone says well qt! Well all my fish were in a qt and I had zero issues for 18 months, and I haven’t added any new fish at all. (Sorry 8 months ago roughly), I added a golden head goby. What’s even worse is the few fish that I have that are aka super keen to getting diseases are the ones that so far have still no issues where as I have two mainly that show sigsns of ick. Yet speaking with some others I don’t know if it’s ick or velvet. It’s to the point I can still count the dots on the fish and they eat like crazy.

But again (side note those who have helped me here and reached out as made it easier and forever in debt), if fish bans actually take affect world wide, what is one to do if this happens? It’s annoying that for example marine depot sells some reef safe ick treatment. But, they are not scientific proven to actually work. Plus I treat my fish and corals like children (as if I have kids) they mean the world to me. But it doesn’t make much sense to rip the tank down to catch the fish when it’s a 50/50 shot even if caught early. Yes there are success stories but it just kinda is not right that some have to weigh the options. Risk losing fish, try and save fish stress out more when catching, 50/50 shot they survive and if it’s velvet more like 80/20. As to let’s stress the corals also and get the sps to rtn etc or kill them off also some how by trying to save the fish. Wouldn’t life be so much better if a company actually made a reef safe that is proven to work more than 50% medication for ick and velvet and brook? I mean why stop there let’s add flukes and everything else.

It’s frustrating (sorry for the vent) when yes I paid extra for my lfs to keep my fish in qt with copper. (They are reliable, I can’t blame them almost 2 years later). I added them in sections within weeks of each other and yes I use uv steralizers, I use garlic guard. I do what it takes to feed them daily and make sure they are healthy. Then suddenly there is an ick break out or worse it’s marine velvet, and the only changes is I added coral from my lfs. Which all of them have fish and corals separate, there are no fish in any of the tanks you can buy coral out of. Which makes really stumble how there was an outbreak. Since all I have done is add a few very small corals, and everything else has stayed the same.

So my frustration is that we have all this technology and science to Grow coral and keep fish. Yet we still haven’t come up with something to eradicate these two parasites and or at least be able to treat them with great success in the display tank.
The simple fact is, it was already in your system or introduced somehow. Fish in the ocean live with it and their immune systems allow them to coexist. What happens is either the infestation grows and isn’t controlled (some creatures eat those Protozoa) or your fish get weak and then become compromised.

It’s my opinion that fish in the ocean thrive because there’s a whole ecosystem that help to keep every organism in check. In our tanks, we have much fewer organisms to keep each other in check. Bottom line is: yes, this is extremely frustrating. I agree with you 100%

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting small fish that have stopped eating or had never eaten to eat.

Over the last few months I have been QTing batches of fish for my display tank. Every batch has had a few that simply stop or had always refused to eat -- mysis, flake, pellet, I felt like I tried everything. The biggest offenders being threadfin cardinalfish, I lost maybe a dozen that never ate or over time stopped eating and would just wither away no matter what I tried.

I recently discovered that if I hatch live baby brine shrimp, they would actually take some interest, but there is little to no nutrition in that and is unsustainable.

I currently have a Rainford's Goby, Yellow Clown Goby, and two Threadfin Cardinalfish that made it through copper QT but are in a "purgatory" tank because they take no interest in anything at all (other than baby brine). I just don't think they can live on that for long, and I won't release them to the DT until they at least take mysis.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge allergic reaction to blood worms...Literally took me a couple days to connect it was related to the tank...(I'm allergic to pretty much everything but not to that extent.) Happened every night about the same time (eye membranes would swell and crazy itchy, hard to breath -ended up using the nebulizer as well as my fiancés inhaler) I was literally sitting in the emergency clinic parking lot (after stopping at the drug store for eye drops) when I realized it was getting better--out of the house/tank for awhile.. needless to say I check all my food now for blood worms... On a side note-they are the larval stage of "midges" that everyone says don't bite and are harmless, but I kept getting "bit" by them (pretty sure they just landed on me but my allergy made it seem like a "bite") Allergies are horrible!

It’s blood worms for me too. It somehow evolved to all frozen fish food and most pellets and flake too. Which is so strange because I’m not allergic to anything else. Never heard of anyone else w. Bloodwork allergy

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having room for an ATO in my stand is my biggest problem. I have to top off by hand everyday. If I forget I'll be driving the next day and have a "OH CRAP!!" moment and hope theres enough water to where the pump doesn't go dry.

The second biggest problem is the perceived cost of owning a tank. I think some of the higher end brands get pushed so hard that people think it is the "only" option out there. It takes some digging and searching but finding quality products from non household names can be done, and great tanks can be had from them. Not everyone can afford a Red Sea or Waterbox set up.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest problem is

A LACK OF SELF CONTROL

images.jpg

Dianna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience as a hands on plumber, not even an apprenticeship, same for carpenter to build a nice cabinet for my apex system, I see so many nice builds - a lot of talent out there, congrats to the guys and I'm hoping a few gals who are in this hobby. I wish we could do a "home depot" style of webinar that could do a demonstration. getting over the fear is the worst.

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, the only problem I face is cloudy/milky water. Comes for a few days, then goes away for a day or 2 and again coming back. Cant find what is causing it.

Pellikan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a very nice stand out of old piano wood. Made of oak and ash with mortise and tenon joints. Strong, stable and it looks nice. Unfortunately it has a wood-boring beetle infestation! My whole house needs tenting but I don't know how to accomplish that without killing the tank and the bug company was no help. I've also got 3 cats, 2 dogs and another fw/planted tank to complicate things.

Of all the options I've considered selling all livestock, probably the rock and sand and starting over is the most cost effective and merciful to the livestock method. Even that would cost a grand or two and a couple years time.
65895a7969f04c468a692d70e242287a.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back