Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Found that in my search a bit back and used it to send the ticket. The unit is brand new, so all reagents are almost full. It's hasn't been able to get a reading yet.

That's unfortunate. Make sure that the reagent A line isn't kinked or pinched anywhere.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unfortunate. Make sure that the reagent A line isn't kinked or pinched anywhere.

They had me run the test with the drawer open, with the same result. Also I tried the "prime" functionality, and it filled up 6/7 of the way up.

Zaireguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with the failed test a for two days also.been dealing with support they have been great but so far i can not get it to work properly

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence - Have a question on usage of calcium reactor with trident . I know that it has native support for DOS and can control the dosage from DOS based on the ALK value .

Now in a system using calcium reactor with very high alk demands due to acro only tank - any easy way to control calcium reactor CO2 input ?

Only thing I can think of is a 2 step process with calcium reactor and DOS as follows :-
  • Have my calcium reactor as normal and tune it such that it meets a little less than my actual requirement .
  • Have Trident test ALK, Ca and Mg
  • Use DOS to dose the remaining amount of Alk or Ca to meet my required parameters .
  • If Alk goes beyond the prescribed value, switch off solenoid on my calcium reactor .
  • If CO2 tank runs out or peristaltic feed pump on Calcium reactor conks out , still have the backup of DOS to keep dosing to meet Alk and Ca demands based on Trident testing .
Is there any flaw in the above theory ? If you have already answered this, extremely sorry for asking again .

I wish someday there will an integrated solution of a peristaltic feed pump for calcium reactors from Neptune such that I could control the effluent rate :)

Regards,
Abhishek

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if Neptune has posted a chart anywhere. But if anyone is curious I did the basic math for reagent usage for different test schedules Alk/Ca/Mg per day and approximate number of days reagents will last.

4/2/2 - 60 Days - Default Testing Schedule
6/3/3 - 45 Days
8/4/4 - 30 Days
12/6/6 - 20 Days
24/12/12 - 10 Days

So far I’m loving having the trident. Just being able to see at a glance what my tanks parameters are is such a convenience. I’ve long been sick of dealing with test kits.

I am typically only away from my tank for longer than 1 night a couple of times per year. But I’m constantly concerned about potential issues when I am away. Anyone who travels for work will absolutely love the extra level of assurance that everything is normal. Or early notification of an issue.

rui.manuel.gaspar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence - Have a question on usage of calcium reactor with trident . I know that it has native support for DOS and can control the dosage from DOS based on the ALK value .

Now in a system using calcium reactor with very high alk demands due to acro only tank - any easy way to control calcium reactor CO2 input ?

Only thing I can think of is a 2 step process with calcium reactor and DOS as follows :-
  • Have my calcium reactor as normal and tune it such that it meets a little less than my actual requirement .
  • Use DOS to dose the remaining amount of Alk or Ca to meet my required parameters .
  • If Alk goes beyond the prescribed value, switch off solenoid on my calcium reactor .
  • If CO2 tank runs out or peristaltic feed pump on Calcium reactor conks out , still have the backup of DOS to keep dosing to meet Alk and Ca demands based on Trident testing .
Is there any flaw in the above theory ? If you have already answered this, extremely sorry for asking again .

I wish someday there will an integrated solution of a peristaltic feed pump for calcium reactors from Neptune such that I could control the effluent rate :)

Regards,
Abhishek

@Terence
So ... I control my Calcium reactor with a DOS. Working flawlessly for over the past almost 1.5y. I have set a pH inside the reactor and I am dosing pushing 40 litres daily thru DOS
Would not be possible for Trident and automated KH control to use and change the amount being dosed by the DOS?
I could see dosing 1 more or 1 less litre to meet demand of my system.
Then when reaching the safety limits of the automated dosing without being able to meet demand I could simply go to APEX and drop 0.1/0.2 pH inside the reactor.
I have been doing this manually and I can tell you that I don't change it that often.

What do you think?

All the best,
Rui

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence
So ... I control my Calcium reactor with a DOS. Working flawlessly for over the past almost 1.5y. I have set a pH inside the reactor and I am dosing pushing 40 litres daily thru DOS
Would not be possible for Trident and automated KH control to use and change the amount being dosed by the DOS?
I could see dosing 1 more or 1 less litre to meet demand of my system.
Then when reaching the safety limits of the automated dosing without being able to meet demand I could simply go to APEX and drop 0.1/0.2 pH inside the reactor.
I have been doing this manually and I can tell you that I don't change it that often.

What do you think?

All the best,
Rui

This is possible, likely using some virtual outlets and advanced programming. That is out of the scope of this thread, but I encourage you to start a new thread in our community forum on our web site.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards,
Abhishek

Sounds like the right approach.

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody else encountered Test A failed? I've contacted support, but so far it hasn't been solved.

I have been dealing with the failed test a for two days also.been dealing with support they have been great but so far i can not get it to work properly

Now this is exactly what I’m interested in. Where is the thread with the issues the trident has been having? I keep hearing of how awesome it is, but with how few units have been sold, having two separate people with the same problem is immediately putting a huge red flag for me.

Acroporaaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that are running a calcium reactor, have you set up your trident to control it yet? I have thought about setting the co2 to turn off if the tank alkalinity goes higher than a set number, but then I'm also worried about large swings. For example, turn off co2 if alk>9dkh. it could turn off if it hits 9dkh, but the next test, 6 hours later could easily be 8.5dkh with no supplementation from the reactor. Would it be better to program a higher reactor ph to lower the effluent concentration if your tank hits your max alk value? How would I program something like that?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ….. that was FAST! I wonder if my order got in under the wire?

Sharis100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Trident installed. I hear the robotic noises- how long does it take to run the first set of tests? And at the minimum test number setting, does it make the noises all day? Thanks for letting me know. Also, how often do you need to replace reagent at the min test level so I know when to reorder.
TIA

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back