Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sleeping on refresh button.

I completely agree - I just happened to be on email as the in-stock notification pinged. I had intended to wait a bit longer …. never have been overly blessed with won't power though.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Trident installed. I hear the robotic noises- how long does it take to run the first set of tests? And at the minimum test number setting, does it make the noises all day? Thanks for letting me know. Also, how often do you need to replace reagent at the min test level so I know when to reorder.
TIA

Typically machines do not make noise when they are not performing a function.

Be patient; it’s under half an hour, so I’m not sure why you haven’t given it some time lol

Read instructions- the reagents last 2 months at the minimum test interval.

Also... could we get a mod to clear all these repeated spam posts about the delivery timeline? Terence has repeatedly said that this is the official thread, for technical questions, and asked people to post that elsewhere. @evolved

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Trident installed. I hear the robotic noises- how long does it take to run the first set of tests? And at the minimum test number setting, does it make the noises all day? Thanks for letting me know. Also, how often do you need to replace reagent at the min test level so I know when to reorder.
TIA

If you ran the setup Task and have the latest AOS and firmware on the Trident it will look like it ran tests 2-4 times. But each time its running an initialization step to prepare for testing. This only happens when first setting it up, updating software or after a power reset.

The first actual test will happen according to the schedule you have chosen, or you can click the gear and select Alk or Combined to start one manually.

As for the sounds, whirls and clicks, those only happen during testing as the pump spins forward and backward to bring in new water and reagent and then pump it out. The clicks are the solenoids opening and closing. Everything runs on a single pump and those solenoids are letting in or out the correct liquid during each step.

With standard 4 Alk, 2 Ca, 2 Mag tests a day the reagents should last about 2 months. Additional manual tests and calibrating takes a few tests away from that 2 month total.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after talking to support, it turned out my alk was so out of whack the trident thought there was something wrong with the reading. I've done a few water changes and the Test A Failed is gone. Everything seems to be working as expected. Thank you Neptune Support.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for Neptune …..

I don't think I have seen this question asked. Since I use a DOS to do automatic water changes, is there a way to adjust the difference between water removed and water added to compensate for the trident testing. If I understand it, at the 8 test per day minimum and 7 ml per test, I could reduce the amount of old water removed by the DOS by 56 ml/day. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it's an occupational hazard LOL. Thanks in advance.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for Neptune …..

I don't think I have seen this question asked. Since I use a DOS to do automatic water changes, is there a way to adjust the difference between water removed and water added to compensate for the trident testing. If I understand it, at the 8 test per day minimum and 7 ml per test, I could reduce the amount of old water removed by the DOS by 56 ml/day. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it's an occupational hazard LOL. Thanks in advance.

This one should be easy. Just increase/decrease the daily scheduled AWC for the amount needed to add/remove.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after talking to support, it turned out my alk was so out of whack the trident thought there was something wrong with the reading. I've done a few water changes and the Test A Failed is gone. Everything seems to be working as expected. Thank you Neptune Support.

When you say out of whack can you elaborate? What did you manual test kit read your dKH as?

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for Neptune …..

Of course there is, just adjust the ml up or down on either OSW or NSW. I add a little less NSW than I remove OSW to compensate for the salinity added by the alk dosing. The ATO makes up the difference.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, I guess I wasn’t clear. Wondering if there’s a ‘task’ in fusion to do that. Been a while since I set my AWC up and I cannot recall how I did it ..... the joys of being old LOL.

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, I guess I wasn’t clear. Wondering if there’s a ‘task’ in fusion to do that. Been a while since I set my AWC up and I cannot recall how I did it ..... the joys of being old LOL.

I’m not aware of a task function either. But, it should be easy.

Below are the tiles for the DOS that I use to change water. “NEWSW” is the new water and “OLDSW” is the water that it removes.

FED19D71-34AF-41F0-ADB0-147E04C9BDD5.jpeg

For me, I would hit the little gear to the right of OLDSW, which will bring up the screen below. Then, hit the little gear down in the bottom left and chose “Modify Interval.”

566613BB-E965-4959-A7C7-8C7E34F4B8A2.jpeg

After you hit “Modify Interval” you will see the screen below. Note that this screen confirms that this is the DOS pump that will “Remove” water.

0C109943-4755-4C4D-8E99-04D8C4848EED.jpeg
In the “Volume” area, you would decrease the number that you have there by 56 ml.

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bad/Expired reagent or test kit?

There have been bad batches from a couple brands in the last year or 2.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks hitch that was very helpful. I have this bad habit of setting something up then not touching it for a while .... at which point I then forget exactly how I did it ....

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why they call it "set and forget" :)

Thanks hitch that was very helpful. I have this bad habit of setting something up then not touching it for a while .... at which point I then forget exactly how I did it ....

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can relate. The older I get, the worse it gets. A/K/A.....Wait, now that I've walked down into the basement, what was I supposed to bring upstairs?

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubing on the trident is 1/16th inch inner diameter. I believe you can purchase an RODI to Trident tubing adapter here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VNCIX0/r

Or just search 3/16 to 1/16 coupler/reducer

I have a calcium reactor on 1/4th inch (OD) tubing constantly circulating via a Kamoer pump. I plan on Teeing off the input line just in front of the calcium reactor to feed the Trident. This SHOULD allow me to get it water directly from the aquarium at a distance greater than 5 feet but without screwing with the readings.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tubing on the trident is 1/16th inch inner diameter. I believe you can purchase an RODI to Trident tubing adapter here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VNCIX0/r

Or just search 3/16 to 1/16 coupler/reducer

I have a calcium reactor on 1/4th inch (OD) tubing constantly circulating via a Kamoer pump. I plan on Teeing off the input line just in front of the calcium reactor to feed the Trident. This SHOULD allow me to get it water directly from the aquarium at a distance greater than 5 feet but without screwing with the readings.

This will not work. The trident needs to pick up sample from a free water source. That line will have varying pressure and you are effectively extending the length of the intake tube. At least how I understand what you are intending to do.

Reefergranted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the trident up and running! Its tested a few times but it hasn't showed a result yet. Fingers crossed I did it right! Outside of this issue, setup was super easy. Thanks Neptune Systems for a stellar product.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back