Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
This may be a dumb question but does the Trident come with a check engine light (just an example) as it related to recommended service?

My understanding is there is a recommended window. I'm not sure if the OS knows when the Trident is brought online and an internal task is set to pop up a tile change or icon color change when service is due. I'm sure the owners can add a calendar reminder somewhere but I thought if not already implemented this might be something worth adding. I'm pretty forgetful I have to say and I'm sure this is something that I may overlook and have to go back and see when I added it, etc.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but does the Trident come with a check engine light (just an example) as it related to recommended service?

My understanding is there is a recommended window. I'm not sure if the OS knows when the Trident is brought online and an internal task is set to pop up a tile change or icon color change when service is due. I'm sure the owners can add a calendar reminder somewhere but I thought if not already implemented this might be something worth adding. I'm pretty forgetful I have to say and I'm sure this is something that I may overlook and have to go back and see when I added it, etc.
We are considering something like this. Since this time is quite a ways off for most people, it does not yet have the priority that other changes do.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I put a post-it note on my UV with the bulb change date - very helpful for the chronically forgetful. Did the same with trident.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a post-it note on my UV with the bulb change date - very helpful for the chronically forgetful. Did the same with trident.

I just set reminders in Fusion and call it a day. When the task shows I know I have to change something.

U

User1

View Badges
We are considering something like this. Since this time is quite a ways off for most people, it does not yet have the priority that other changes do.

Thank you - that makes sense. Reminder in Fusion or like @ca1ore mentioned with the note. Have a good day!

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say I want to adjust my co2 reactor power outlet based upon Trident measurements. How would I do this?

Essentially, if the Trident detects alk below 9.5 I want my co2 reactor power port to turn on until PH in my calc reactor is below 6.4
If my trident detects above alk above 9.5, I want my co2 reactor power port to turn on until my PH in my calc reactor is below 6.5
If my trident detects alk below 9.0 I want my co2 reactor power port to turn on until PH in my calc reactor is below 6.2

etc etc that sort of thing.

francesco.mancini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey I calibrated my trident using the quick guide on the apex fusion. I was not told to prime the sample line and accidentally proceed without priming the calibration fluid . Does the trident automatically prime calibration fluid when you use the quick setup?

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure that it does. I don’t remember having to prime the calibration fluid.

francesco.mancini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason I’m worrying about this is when I last used the salifert test kit about a month ago my readings with the trident were very close after I calibrated 2 nights ago my reading are 1.5 dkh off .. I just ordered another salifert kit to cross check again

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason I’m worrying about this is when I last used the salifert test kit about a month ago my readings with the trident were very close after I calibrated 2 nights ago my reading are 1.5 dkh off .. I just ordered another salifert kit to cross check again

How do you know its not the salifert test thats 'off'. If im buying a product to test alkalinity - (especially the Trident) - it seems to me that that should be the 'gold standard' not a salifert test kit. In order to test something like this - you would need at least 3 tests right? I mean - so one test says 8, one test says 9.6. You repeat them - they say the same thing - who knows whats 'right'.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way I can show you visually comparing the trident with anything else is pretty much useless to a degree. You don’t compare something inherently more accurate to something less accurate and then say it’s off if it doesn’t line up. I would think if anything you can test the trident right after you calibrate it with the standard/calibration fluid.
4D970451-A77D-49B5-875C-102ABA93A638.png

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best way I can show you visually comparing the trident with anything else is pretty much useless to a degree. You don’t compare something inherently more accurate to something less accurate and then say it’s off if it doesn’t line up. I would think if anything you can test the trident right after you calibrate it with the standard/calibration fluid.

Exactly

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really felt that Terence did a great job of showing this and putting it in perspective.

NeptunePaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I calibrated my trident using the quick guide on the apex fusion. I was not told to prime the sample line and accidentally proceed without priming the calibration fluid . Does the trident automatically prime calibration fluid when you use the quick setup?

The task does the prime automatically there is no need to do that manually.

The Get Started Guide for calibration (and all the Get Started Guides related to Trident) is written for those that DO NOT utilize the task we have built in Apex Fusion. This may be because they do not have access to Apex Fusion or because they prefer more traditional written instructions. You can do one or the other. You do not need to to both.

Hope that helps to clear up some confusion.

Jon M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NeptunePaul I installed my Trident two days ago as instructed. I did not calibrate it since it was not part of the instructions. My alk and mag are in line with my test kits but my calcium is 326 (Trident) vs 426 (Hannah). Should I give it more time or calibrate it. Also the inside of the bag for the calibration fluid was wet so seems the bottle was leaking.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've set the trident to control my DOS using the control interval modal under the DOS settings. I'm testing 4 times per day. When does it change the value being dosed? What is the formula it uses to change it? How can I know how much it is currently dosing?

NeptunePaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NeptunePaul I installed my Trident two days ago as instructed. I did not calibrate it since it was not part of the instructions. My alk and mag are in line with my test kits but my calcium is 326 (Trident) vs 426 (Hannah). Should I give it more time or calibrate it. Also the inside of the bag for the calibration fluid was wet so seems the bottle was leaking.

The important thing to do before calibrating is to observe precision in your measurements. I.E. to make sure there are no installation issues or unlikely hardware problems. Once precision has been established, then you can calibrate it to bring in the accuracy. In our opinion, it will take 2-3 days of observation after the initial setup to observe that precision.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back