Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello...just jumping in now...when will the Tridents be available again for purchase?
Thank you ---
Chris ( Miami, Florida - U.S.A. )

There are more tridents available every week, but the problem is that there’s way more demand than availability, so when stores do get stock they sell out within minutes.

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are more tridents available every week, but the problem is that there’s way more demand than availability, so when stores do get stock they sell out within minutes.
I think they Sell-Out to those on the Waiting List first, so people like myself will never know if a Store gets them in or not...I have my name on a WL for 2 different Online Retailers for now

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they Sell-Out to those on the Waiting List first, so people like myself will never know if a Store gets them in or not...I have my name on a WL for 2 different Online Retailers for now

I think it depends on the store. A lot of local stores as well as BRS are doing the waiting list thing. But other stores like saltwateraqauarium.com and marine depot are just first come first served.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went on their website...they also have a "Notify Me" list

The notify list on the other web sites is just a mechanism that will send you an email when the item is in stock. If you happen to get that email (which is a big if because of the huge amount of demand) then it just means that the store has stock. When they get stock they put it on the web site and if you get lucky you might be able to go there and buy one before they sell out (usually within minutes)

The waiting list at BRS is an actual ordered (hopefully) list of people who have signed up. When BRS gets stock it doesn’t go on the web site, but rather they start calling down the waiting list one by one and offering those people an opportunity to make a purchase.

Josh1199

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with it doing 4 alk, 2 cal and 2 mag tests a day would that not change salinity?

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be sure of how much water the Triton pulls from the tank each day. If its on the minimum testing schedule of 8 total tests per day at 7ml per day that is 56ml per day. Has anyone verified this or seen any different. I have a smaller tank as of now and dont want a salinity swing so I want to use my DOS to add the saltwater used for testing. I'm sorry if this is already covered somewhere is the thread.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be sure of how much water the Triton pulls from the tank each day. If its on the minimum testing schedule of 8 total tests per day at 7ml per day that is 56ml per day. Has anyone verified this or seen any different. I have a smaller tank as of now and dont want a salinity swing so I want to use my DOS to add the saltwater used for testing. I'm sorry if this is already covered somewhere is the thread.

I can answer that.
I've had mine setup almost a week now. Each test is 7 minutes long and pulls 7mL's of water for each test. 21 minutes for all 3 tests and 21 mLs of water. If it's an Alk only test then it's 7 minutes and 7 mL's of water. The Alk only test is every 6 hours if you have it setup that way. Cal and Mag are at 12am and 12pm if you have it set for 2 tests per day. That's the very least amount of testing you can set the Trident for.
Here's the caveat, and I know this from contacting Neptune. Several of my tests were taking 45 minutes to complete because I could hear the Trident running them. Neptune's response was that IF the Triton gets unfavorable results it will run the test again and then AGAIN to verify the first and second test. What the means is, for example, that if Alk is testing unfavorably the first time, there will be 2 subsequent tests performed. That means for that one test, it will pull 21 mLs of water from the tank just for the Alk test. If it does this with Cal and Mag then it will be 63 mLs of water for one group of tests at the same time.
Smaller tank users beware. This will eventually effect your salinity if your not mindful.

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can answer that.
I've had mine setup almost a week now. Each test is 7 minutes long and pulls 7mL's of water for each test. 21 minutes for all 3 tests and 21 mLs of water. If it's an Alk only test then it's 7 minutes and 7 mL's of water. The Alk only test is every 6 hours if you have it setup that way. Cal and Mag are at 12am and 12pm if you have it set for 2 tests per day. That's the very least amount of testing you can set the Trident for.
Here's the caveat, and I know this from contacting Neptune. Several of my tests were taking 45 minutes to complete because I could hear the Trident running them. Neptune's response was that IF the Triton gets unfavorable results it will run the test again and then AGAIN to verify the first and second test. What the means is, for example, that if Alk is testing unfavorably the first time, there will be 2 subsequent tests performed. That means for that one test, it will pull 21 mLs of water from the tank just for the Alk test. If it does this with Cal and Mag then it will be 63 mLs of water for one group of tests at the same time.
Smaller tank users beware. This will eventually effect your salinity if your not mindful.

Thank you very much, I did not know this but it makes sense. I have had a few times that it ran longer than expected and now I understand why. I have been keeping an eye on my salinity for sure since my tank is only 20 gallons. I appreciate you for getting back to me with this info.

kharn101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello Trident Community,
I got my trident about a week ago!
With that being said for the most part 2 out of 3 chemicals are working fine.
The chemical that I am having a hard time matching is my Alk.
I waited 72 hours prior to doing the initial trident initialization with the white container.
I did a check and all chemicals were on except my alk. I used my Hanna checker it is reading 7.9 while my trident is reading 7.21.
This is a large difference, any advice on how to fix this? Don't want to bleach my acros especially my homewrecker

joelk835

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident users that have changed there fluids out already. I just logged into fusion and noticed my alkalinity testing reagant says its empty but my trident says 8% with 10 tests left. Did anyone else find that they needed to change it out early? I'm going to change it out tonight but just wondered if that was the norm when it got to the last little bit?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a check and all chemicals were on except my alk. I used my Hanna checker it is reading 7.9 while my trident is reading 7.21.
This is a large difference, any advice on how to fix this? Don't want to bleach my acros especially my homewrecker

In the end you just need to decide which tester you will believe. For the most part people seem to be trusting the trident over the Hanna checker. The Hanna checker can definitely report inconsistently, especially with older reagent.

But in the end stability is more important than a specific number. 7.21 is a bit on the low side for alkalinity, so what I would try to do is slowly raise it to where you want it. (Slowly as in maybe .1dkh per day).

Most likely the trident is correct, but frankly even if it is wrong and after you raise the alkalinity to 7.9 it is really 8.6 that’s still well within the safe range and keeping it stable is the most important thing.

Personally, I’d believe the trident and work to slowly raise the alkalinity to where you want it and then keep it stable when you get there.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back