OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71 elkhorn in all its blued out glory...

20190210_130757.jpg

With orange safety glasses filter.

20190210_131246.jpg

It's not a particularly colorful piece. More of a pale green, but the growth pattern is very interesting. Very thick, irregular branches.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, tested alk yesterday and got 8.0. Down from 8.3. I'm not sure if this was from corals using more or my water change dropped numbers a bit. I never checked parameters on my new bucket of salt. I did mix it a bit higher than 1.026, as my tank was sitting at 1.024. Higher salinity should mean more calcium, alkalinity, ect...

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on that and make sure I don't have to increase dose. Or, keep am eye on it to see if I do have to increase dose. Increasing dose is a good thing. It means coral growth is increasing!

Also, I had to move my Birds of Paradise. It had great PE on the rack, but never opened back up after moving to rock. I think it was a bit too much flow as it was very close to my PP8. It's more central to the tank now and should be getting much more subtle, yet more turbulent flow... if that makes sense. Not as strong, but coming from more dirrections. It's already showing a bit more PE, but I'll know better tomorrow.

The caliendrum birds nest is doing well, as well as the rainbow stylo.

20190212_165337.jpg
20190212_165300.jpg
20190212_165445.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May begin rambling below...

Few days after water change. My canary coral is singing again. Its definitely got ruffled and even missing feathers, but it is full again. The whole no water change craze as of the last two years, is a recipie for disaster if you ask me. You have to dose everything, and absolutely cannot let anything get in the water. There are simply too many variables in a normal home for it to work long term. Water changes may not be the best form of nutrient control, but they remove 100% more than not doing them. They also restore 100% more trace elements and remove 100% more contaminants than not doing them.

I'm back on the water change bandwagon.

20190212_170031.jpg

Last edited:

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. There’s just too many unknown variables especially in newer tanks to not do them at all. The past couple weeks I’ve been taking 10 minutes every couple nights to just do like 3-5 gallon water changes and I’ve noticed an improvement for sure

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. There’s just too many unknown variables especially in newer tanks to not do them at all. The past couple weeks I’ve been taking 10 minutes every couple nights to just do like 3-5 gallon water changes and I’ve noticed an improvement for sure

I've decided that once a month, at the beginning of the month, I'm going to empty my sump, shop vac all the detritus, remove the skimmer and give it a vinegar bath, and fill everything back up with fresh salt water. It's a Trigger Sapphire cube 20, and with the overflow drained down is a few inches from the top. I'm guessing around 25 gallons, which would be roughly 25% monthly. Just a few days later I'm seeing a big difference in the overall health of my reef. I can only assume that it will continue to improve with consecutive months.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a fantastic variety in color.
Yes, now that you say that I do have a good mix... I've tried to limit the number of green pieces I buy, but also incorporate some green because they are usually the brightest, a long with the oranges yellows and reds. I do have some a few purples and blues, but until I get a better camera and or filter, they get washed out by the LEDs. They are amazing in person tho.

I wish y'all could see the two acros I have ACTUALLY GROWING!!! Milestone guys. I usually kill those thing looking at them. The tank is really starting to click coral wise...

I just have what looks like maybe turf algae(really dense tufts of really dark green, about a 1/4-1/2" square) left in a few spots and some straggling hair algae. Nothing that covers the corals, but a little bit of a nuisance. Nothing seems to be eating it.

The urchin lost a bunch of spines shortly after I added it. It's still moving around in a small area with some GHA. Less now than before I saw it there, so it is working. It's just a small urchin and will take some time. Hopefully it recovers from whatever was ailing it, and my corals with subsequent water changes.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, now that you say that I do have a good mix... I've tried to limit the number of green pieces I buy, but also incorporate some green because they are usually the brightest, a long with the oranges yellows and reds. I do have some a few purples and blues, but until I get a better camera and or filter, they get washed out by the LEDs. They are amazing in person tho.

I wish y'all could see the two acros I have ACTUALLY GROWING!!! Milestone guys. I usually kill those thing looking at them. The tank is really starting to click coral wise...

I just have what looks like maybe turf algae(really dense tufts of really dark green, about a 1/4-1/2" square) left in a few spots and some straggling hair algae. Nothing that covers the corals, but a little bit of a nuisance. Nothing seems to be eating it.

The urchin lost a bunch of spines shortly after I added it. It's still moving around in a small area with some GHA. Less now than before I saw it there, so it is working. It's just a small urchin and will take some time. Hopefully it recovers from whatever was ailing it, and my corals with subsequent water changes.
I'm glad you decided to do regular water changes. I think that is a good thing as long as it is cost effective. I think your urchin will recover. It seems like it isn't uncommon for them to shed spikes when they transition to different water qualities or if nitrates spike. Since it has adjust and eating, hopefully it will start growing those spines back.

Your color choices pop even with the pic's you are taking. I think you have done a better job at blending colors than I have. I could use more red in my tank but haven't had much luck. I do have plenty of orange, green and purple.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching Alk the last week or so. 8.3 on the 24th, and had been holding steady at 2ml a day of BRS 2 part. 8.0 on the 11th after our water change, and 7.8 today. Looks like we have a 0.05dKH a day drop with 2ml a day. I knew coral growth had picked up recently. Calculated and adjusted dose to 6ml a day. I'll continue to monitor and adjust until its dialed in.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching Alk the last week or so. 8.3 on the 24th, and had been holding steady at 2ml a day of BRS 2 part. 8.0 on the 11th after our water change, and 7.8 today. Looks like we have a 0.05dKH a day drop with 2ml a day. I knew coral growth had picked up recently. Calculated and adjusted dose to 6ml a day. I'll continue to monitor and adjust until its dialed in.
Don't know about you, but I get a crazy amount of satisfaction when I can increase my alkalinity dosing.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know about you, but I get a crazy amount of satisfaction when I can increase my alkalinity dosing.

I am raising mine about every two weeks. It is an awesome feeling. I have my head wrapped around the acceleration rate and I am learning the signs, especially in the coralline, when the change is due. I almost do not have to test, but I do.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back