Vodka Dosing

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of no help here since I am a whiskey person, Irish, Spots fan specifically, but there was an interesting article I read last year from Thibault (Grey Goose creator). Went on to say that you shouldn't put Grey Goose in the freezer. Any high quality Vodka actually. Also recommended the dry Martini to use comparing different Vodka's interesting enough. I saved his recipe for some reason - not sure why...

Ingredients:
  • 50ml Grey Goose vodka
  • 10ml Chilled Noilly Prat dry vermouth
  • Dash of orange bitters
  • Lemon zest to garnish
Method:
  1. Add Grey Goose and vermouth to a mixing glass filled with ice.
  2. Stir deliberately and strain into a chilled martini glass.
Shake:
20 seconds - NO MORE

That is 100% correct

upload_2019-4-7_16-32-28.gif

Freezing makes it somewhat harsh. Keep in fridge, when ready drink pour into shaker, shake for 25 seconds while dancing to the Mambo No. 5 and pour. Anything shaken over 30 sec, pour out and start again.

I only drink martinis. When I do...I say... straight up, dry, no vermouth, 3 olives stuffed with blue cheese. Basically I should say vodka in martini glass with vegetables and dairy.

If it comes to the table already poured, manager comes over and explains why not shaken at table. (Obviously not @chilis). If the waiter shakes and pours, if there is left over in shaker after filling glass and does not leave shaker, managers then comes over and gets beat with said shakers. Makes him remember next time leave the shaker.

Sometime I get crazy, a little pickle juice or even juice from banana pepper jar gets mixed in. It is also good in any v8 juice, in 1/2 of a already drunk Snapple apple or peach mango, mixed w oj and 7up, with oj and Chambord, surprisingly not so good mixed with milk and Pepsi.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is 100% correct

upload_2019-4-7_16-32-28.gif

Freezing makes it somewhat harsh. Keep in fridge, when ready drink pour into shaker, shake for 25 seconds while dancing to the Mambo No. 5 and pour. Anything shaken over 30 sec, pour out and start again.

I only drink martinis. When I do...I say... straight up, dry, no vermouth, 3 olives stuffed with blue cheese. Basically I should say vodka in martini glass with vegetables and dairy.

If it comes to the table already poured, manager comes over and explains why not shaken at table. (Obviously not @chilis). If the waiter shakes and pours, if there is left over in shaker after filling glass and does not leave shaker, managers then comes over and gets beat with said shakers. Makes him remember next time leave the shaker.

Sometime I get crazy, a little pickle juice or even juice from banana pepper jar gets mixed in. It is also good in any v8 juice, in 1/2 of a already drunk Snapple apple or peach mango, mixed w oj and 7up, with oj and Chambord, surprisingly not so good mixed with milk and Pepsi.
I had to re-read this to make certain I wasn't drunk. I love it, btw.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I am picturing you taking your Salifert test kit results to your next doctor's appointment and asking them about your strontium levels. :)

Salifert, DNA 23 and me, ancestry.com all the same. All various ways the man keeps us down.

upload_2019-5-30_22-22-2.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to re-read this to make certain I wasn't drunk. I love it, btw.

Not by best work. I must have been drunk when I wrote it. I always say, don’t let me do long posts. mods should put a character limit on my posts.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, due to @Mastiffsrule 's and @saf1 's posts (which I cannot professionally support, being a librarian and demand legitimate citations and quotes), I am giving a thumbs up to the information because I'd rather believe a friend's funny post vs me having to actually to work and hop on a database to find out if it is correct or not. SO their earlier posts have officially been legitimized -- mostly because I am lazy and don't want to research information. Plus...this is more fun. :) I therefore declare, vodka should not be frozen. (Actually, I believe what they said is true. ;))

U

User1

View Badges
Lol. Ok I'm sure I'm going to do this incorrectly but here is one of the source:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-you-should-never-put-vodka-in-the-freezer-2018-10

I thought I originally read it somewhere else though but at least this is a start. You know how web pages, blogs, small blurbs lead you to various sites, I think this is one of them. Maybe it was Bloomberg(sp). He said it would subdue the flavor which is what you don't want by buying the premium Vodka.

Whisky is similar although never in freezer. Some will drink it neat (I) some will use ice cubes (pass by me). Some say it is a purist thing whereas others say it is the glass and nose (smell) to empower the taste (I). I visited a place in Ireland a couple years back and was talking to one of the whiskey makers (wish I knew their proper name) but he asked how I was drinking it, what brands, etc. Opened up a cask and did some tasking between aged casks while also comparing to bottled. We then did another sample but this time he pulled out a dropper of sorts and before each taste put a couple drops of water in my glass before I drank. He then explained that it would open up the whiskey and I should taste something different. I'll be danged, I did. Sort of like a nice bottle of wine and how you open it and let sit to breath for an hour or so before you are ready to drink it.

Anyway I am totally rambling at this point but that is the best reference I got. Good or premium Vodka the person who is in the know suggests to keep it out and use a Martini to taste test various brands. Cheap vodka, freeze away - it will make it go down easier and prevent the burn :)

Hope everyone has a great evening!

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Ok I'm sure I'm going to do this incorrectly but here is one of the source:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-you-should-never-put-vodka-in-the-freezer-2018-10

I thought I originally read it somewhere else though but at least this is a start. You know how web pages, blogs, small blurbs lead you to various sites, I think this is one of them. Maybe it was Bloomberg(sp). He said it would subdue the flavor which is what you don't want by buying the premium Vodka.

Whisky is similar although never in freezer. Some will drink it neat (I) some will use ice cubes (pass by me). Some say it is a purist thing whereas others say it is the glass and nose (smell) to empower the taste (I). I visited a place in Ireland a couple years back and was talking to one of the whiskey makers (wish I knew their proper name) but he asked how I was drinking it, what brands, etc. Opened up a cask and did some tasking between aged casks while also comparing to bottled. We then did another sample but this time he pulled out a dropper of sorts and before each taste put a couple drops of water in my glass before I drank. He then explained that it would open up the whiskey and I should taste something different. I'll be danged, I did. Sort of like a nice bottle of wine and how you open it and let sit to breath for an hour or so before you are ready to drink it.

Anyway I am totally rambling at this point but that is the best reference I got. Good or premium Vodka the person who is in the know suggests to keep it out and use a Martini to taste test various brands. Cheap vodka, freeze away - it will make it go down easier and prevent the burn :)

Hope everyone has a great evening!
LOL! This is a good article -- I read it entirely. It made me a believer. Thanks @saf1 !

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...so @Mastiffsrule did me a favor (thanks, you're a great guy) and now I'm supposed to create a meme for him. I've been searching and searching for the right photo because we know what a slave-driver the man can be. :rolleyes: But in the middle of my quest, I found this and thought it would work on this thread. Cheers!
Vodka Dosing.gif

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...so @Mastiffsrule did me a favor (thanks, you're a great guy) and now I'm supposed to create a meme for him. I've been searching and searching for the right photo because we know what a slave-driver the man can be. :rolleyes: But in the middle of my quest, I found this and thought it would work on this thread. Cheers!
Vodka Dosing.gif

Love it, does it come with a test kit?

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new doser, but need help. @Salty Lemon . My ph is low and nitrate thru the roof from today. How many mil. per minute?

C79C533E-B994-43B9-B2C1-76FA68CB1E2A.jpeg

If you look, I already dosed some

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a new doser, but need help. @Salty Lemon . My ph is low and nitrate thru the roof from today. How many mil. per minute?

Is that a minimum fill line on the glass? It looks like you need to add some more!

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At least fill it to the red line. Dose until everything feels leveled out. You have to go with your gut (a.k.a. "liver") to determine proper leveling. P.S. I'm guessing all those goldfish crackers you are eating are pushing your nitrates way up there.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half of the neighborhood kids are in my house (craziness). I actually had to announce that my fish room was off limits during their hide the "stuffed animals game" because I was busy with it and aquarium stuff was everywhere. I think I need to "dose", but I'm waiting for the kids to leave.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm of no help here since I am a whiskey person, Irish, Spots fan specifically, but there was an interesting article I read last year from Thibault (Grey Goose creator). Went on to say that you shouldn't put Grey Goose in the freezer. Any high quality Vodka actually. Also recommended the dry Martini to use comparing different Vodka's interesting enough. I saved his recipe for some reason - not sure why...

Ingredients:
  • 50ml Grey Goose vodka
  • 10ml Chilled Noilly Prat dry vermouth
  • Dash of orange bitters
  • Lemon zest to garnish
Method:
  1. Add Grey Goose and vermouth to a mixing glass filled with ice.
  2. Stir deliberately and strain into a chilled martini glass.
Shake:
20 seconds - NO MORE
What??? You can't put quality vodka in a freezer? That is the entire reason we use the freezer! Well, that and pizza rolls. I'm saving the martini recipe. I'll buy the ingredients this week and let you know what I think.
@saf1 , it took a month longer than I promised -- but I made your exact martini recipe. It is WONDERFUL. Cheers!

Martini Recipe Saf1 .jpg

U

User1

View Badges
@saf1 , it took a month longer than I promised -- but I made your exact martini recipe. It is WONDERFUL. Cheers!

Martini Recipe Saf1 .jpg

Yeah, it is pretty simple though, right? I can't take credit for it and I hope I said as much in the original post I made - but it is Thibault's - the Grey Goose Creator's recipe. It is simple and yet you can use different qualities of Vodka and taste the difference. That is what made me try it.

I like simple. Most of the time when I drink a cocktail before or during dinner and I'm in the mood for Vodka I'll go with my standby. The good old Harvey Wall Banger ;) Grab a highball glass, ice cubes, 3 parts with 1 1/2 oz Vodka, Orange Juice, with the last bit floating a shot of Galliano on top (using a spoon helps me float it).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 162 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.3%
Back