What are the most dangerous aspects of this hobby?

JohnD4g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank leak. Been there..... wasn't pretty. But I got a new tank out of it.

badsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what shorted? Where did the fire happen? Wiring/outlet or the equipment?
I was using a digital Aquatics controller it shorted out and started the fire
I'm lucky to be alive, the smoke dectors never went off. I hired an electrician and now they're all hardwired

curt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin never had a problem myself but know of a few people that have.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to keep things in perspective, cooking may be at least as dangerous as reefing, but here are some:

For reefers:
Muriatic acid
calcium hydroxide
sodium hydroxide
bleach
some test kit ingredients can contain toxic heavy metals such as cadmium

For kids and pets:
many/most might be a concern if a kid ate them
What about your mention about FIRE . Other than overloading a circuit what other potential fire risks should we be looking for :oops:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about your mention about FIRE . Other than overloading a circuit what other potential fire risks should we be looking for :oops:
Salt water hitting power Strips, cheap overseas lights, trigger eating power head cords, hot lights coming in contact with combustibles, jealous wife or husband........

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reefers:
Muriatic acid
calcium hydroxide
sodium hydroxide
bleach
some test kit ingredients can contain toxic heavy metals such as cadmium
You forgot formaldehyde. LOTS of people are using it for uronema (a fish disease). o_O

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forgot formaldehyde. LOTS of people are using it for uronema (a fish disease). o_O
What is so scary is when I was a kid, the doctor prescribed it to soak my feet in when I had athletic foot

TinyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, what are some commonly used chemicals in the reef hobby that need to be handled safely and with respect?

At my old club, a reefer got Gorilla Super Glue on his eyelid because he wasn't being careful while fragging. Lots of people seem to run fast and loose with safety while handling bleach and muriatic acid in this hobby as well.
I honestly don’t know. I’ve always wondered what would happen if you consumed a bunch of dosing liquid. Like if i drank a whole bottle of alk would i be ticking out my eyes the next day?

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t know. I’ve always wondered what would happen if you consumed a bunch of dosing liquid. Like if i drank a whole bottle of alk would i be ticking out my eyes the next day?
This is the reefer version of "what would happen if I just swerved left off the side of this bridge?". Metal.

bluerun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us have heard of a Palytoxin (If you haven’t, read this).

Lionfish and urchin toxicity is also pretty widely known about.

Corals and anemones have stung people badly enough to cause numbness, pain and scarring.

Water and electricity…drip loops people!

What are some other risks which can make this hobby dangerous if not respected?
The sheer amount of water that is being held together by some glass and glue. Keeps me up at night.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me offer a controversial opinion. GFCI is a risk in of itself and I don't trust them for my aquariums as they trip too easy (sometimes for no good reason) risking losing your entire tank if your away even a day or two. I have them in all my bathrooms and kitchen outlets though (already there when I moved in) and I know the behavior. I'm an engineer and certainly not a master electrician but I know this much from experience. At the slightest hint of a fault breakers in my panel trip instantly. Just last week I dropped the end of an extension cord in some water outdoors. Result was instant breaker trip and I have observed that behavior numerous times. 30 plus years and never an aquarium related shock (knock on wood). Now all my power is pulled through EB8's/EB832's which also have breakers and are plugged into properly wired and grounded outlets and the tank water is grounded with a titanium probe. If you're going to use a GFCI at least get the best quality one you can find and not some of the import junk that is out there.
In my opinion, if a new gfci keeps tripping on a tank, there is a short somewhere. I have a gfci and ground probe on all five of my tanks, with the oldest being five years. None of my gfci outlets constantly trip. To me, personal safety is more important than the safety of the tank inhabitants.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back