What are the most dangerous aspects of this hobby?

OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, if a new gfci keeps tripping on a tank, there is a short somewhere. I have a gfci and ground probe on all five of my tanks, with the oldest being five years. None of my gfci outlets constantly trip. To me, personal safety is more important than the safety of the tank inhabitants.

I wonder if there is some kind of reputable smart device which will tell you the power has been shut off/breaker tripped.

Does the inkbird app send you a notification if the device loses power?

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
-Release of harmful invasive species.
-Unchecked use of antibiotics/formalin based dips which are discarded down the drain.
-Viewing fish as decorations that are interchangeable rather than viewing them as unique pets
-Buying used equipment, especially tanks, that may have been compromised

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical Codes here state, Kitchens, Dining Rooms, Living Rooms, Most Basement areas, and now Bathrooms must be 20 Amps, Wired with Minimum #12 Wire, long runs to the first receptacle #10 Wire, we’re talking Mansions. BTW, I’ve seen this, where the Electrician Cheated, #12 wire to the above areas, 15 Amp Breaker, and 15 Amp. Receptacles. If you have Aluminum Wire, you need to get your house rewired. I’ve seen fires in Aluminum wire, lightly load. Don’t depend on your insurance company taking care of you. Many have an Aluminum Wire exclusion.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there is some kind of reputable smart device which will tell you the power has been shut off/breaker tripped.

That's a great question. I will see if I can find anything. I also have a spare wifi inkbird, and will try it out. I switched all my heater controllers over to Apex, so that's how I get power notifications now.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I forgot I do have one running on my fowlr tank, but didnt have the app. I noticed these when installing the app. The offline notification was defaulted to off, so I switched it to on. I will see if it works.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230530-095656~2.png
    Screenshot_20230530-095656~2.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230530-095743~2.png
    Screenshot_20230530-095743~2.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 23

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, well! Check it out! It took 30 mins with power off. The inkbird wifi controller DOES notify you in a power outage! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230530-103752.png
    Screenshot_20230530-103752.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
L

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, well! Check it out! It took 30 mins with power off. The inkbird wifi controller DOES notify you in a power outage! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

That's awesome. No excuse to not use GFCI then if you are using an inkbird. Worst case scenario - it trips but you get an alert and can make a plan to resolve it.

Very handy.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t know about that, but they make audible alarm GFCIs which is low tech, but you’ll know it’s tripped if you’re home

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me offer a controversial opinion. GFCI is a risk in of itself and I don't trust them for my aquariums as they trip too easy (sometimes for no good reason) risking losing your entire tank if your away even a day or two. I have them in all my bathrooms and kitchen outlets though (already there when I moved in) and I know the behavior. I'm an engineer and certainly not a master electrician but I know this much from experience. At the slightest hint of a fault breakers in my panel trip instantly. Just last week I dropped the end of an extension cord in some water outdoors. Result was instant breaker trip and I have observed that behavior numerous times. 30 plus years and never an aquarium related shock (knock on wood). Now all my power is pulled through EB8's/EB832's which also have breakers and are plugged into properly wired and grounded outlets and the tank water is grounded with a titanium probe. If you're going to use a GFCI at least get the best quality one you can find and not some of the import junk that is out there.
I’ve found that GFCIs tend to start nuisance tripping after 5-10 years. Not certain when the home was built or when you moved in, but a good chance that replacing them would help.

If you dropped the live end of an extension cord into water and the GFCI tripped, that is literally the only reason the exist…

The GFCI tests the hot and neutral load and if you have more going out than in (which you would if you stuck an extension cord in a puddle), then it will trip like it’s supposed to. Imagine dropping an extension cord into a tank, then reaching in barefoot without the breaker tripping…

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wives after they check the bank account.
I have the opposite problem. My wife has gotten into it too and she is not a good influence at the lfs. We also just went to the aquatic expo a couple weeks ago, and frag fest a few weeks before that. I also just set up a biocube for her...in addition to the planted tank I bought her for her birthday. Frequently when we have a day off together we'll drive to another city have a nice lunch or dinner and check out a couple LFS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back