What is "moderate" light?

deathdealerdelta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without using a PAR meter how can you determine if your light is moderate or where in your aquarium moderate lighting would be?

I have the Fluval Sea 3.0 on the Fluval Evo 5
Aquarium is, from bottom to top, 11.6" (29.5cm) and there is probably 3" of sand and rockwork. If I have the blue light turned all the way up but the white and everything else at 60% or lower is that considered moderate at the top of the tank or is that still high? Would moderate be, with those light settings, midway in the tank, or under the rockwork in a shaded area?

Thanks ahead of time.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without using a PAR meter how can you determine if your light is moderate or where in your aquarium moderate lighting would be?

Aquarium is, from bottom to top, 11.6" (29.5cm) and there is probably 3" of sand and rockwork. If I have the blue light turned all the way up but the white and everything else at 60% or lower is that considered moderate at the top of the tank or is that still high? Would moderate be, with those light settings, midway in the tank, or under the rockwork in a shaded area?

Thanks ahead of time.
You need to look on Googly for your light.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks ahead of time.
If the manufacturer provides par maps for their light, it'll get you close. Moderate light is 50-100 par, imo. But without a par meter, it is all a guess.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back