When it comes to this hobby.... what's your biggest PET PEEVE?

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2000% drop shipping companies that rant about their wide selection, low prices and amazing customer service.
1. it’s not “your” selection, you literally just have a wholesaler doing the job for you
2. Of course your prices are low, you have like zero overhead. You probably don’t even have a tank where you’re at for Pete’s sake!
3. clearly the customer service has to be good if you’re doing absolutely nothing else to earn your keep.
It totally grinds my gears to see such an incredibly lazy way of doing business becoming popular and puts me off from buying from said companies. Nothing is more irritating that seeing sea dwelling creature’s wysiwyg on several different websites.
Now, some may think it’s just an innovative way of making money and that’s fine! But call a spade a spade. Don’t sell the customer on the quality of your product when it’s coming out of a cesspool wholesale system which you have zero control over.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest pet peeve is I personally DO NOT take life very seriously.....I use comedy a LOT to dismantle the Chaos in life.

My biggest pet peeve on R2R is when om criticized and brow-beated over throwing a little comedy in all these serious scientific posts looking for Holy Grail answers.

Cant count how many times I've been replied back to saying, "if you have nothing of value to add to my post, plz quit trolling"

;Drool Get over yourself and lighten up

My peev- poorly named posts, not reading any posts and answering based off the name.

My peev when people get mad at being criticized because you made a remark that didn’t help, then got mad at the response to your posts.

My peev when people have no idea what is going on so they make a joke. Then start a thread about it.

My biggest pet peev——When my post isn’t the funniest....GOTCha

(I think I know the post/posts recently that you are referencing. I liked your posts)

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2000% drop shipping companies that rant about their wide selection, low prices and amazing customer service.
1. it’s not “your” selection, you literally just have a wholesaler doing the job for you
2. Of course your prices are low, you have like zero overhead. You probably don’t even have a tank where you’re at for Pete’s sake!
3. clearly the customer service has to be good if you’re doing absolutely nothing else to earn your keep.
It totally grinds my gears to see such an incredibly lazy way of doing business becoming popular and puts me off from buying from said companies. Nothing is more irritating that seeing sea dwelling creature’s wysiwyg on several different websites.
Now, some may think it’s just an innovative way of making money and that’s fine! But call a spade a spade. Don’t sell the customer on the quality of your product when it’s coming out of a cesspool wholesale system which you have zero control over.
I guess if I was in the retail business I might have a different reaction, but as a consumer I am a big fan of the companies you're describing. They are, as you describe, essentially direct connections between consumer and wholesaler. Which is awesome for the consumer. I exclusively use those companies now.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Grammar Girl website, "The Quick and Dirty Tip is that the plural of fish is fish, unless you’re writing about different species of fish, are a mobster, are quoting the Bible, or are trying to make a rhyme." LOL
I loved this! Made me laugh -- and so very true. ;Hilarious

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was debating this, but I will post it anyway.

Not sure if it qualifies as "pet peeve" or me just being overly pedantic, but I'd love to find a way to clarify that "QT" refers to "quarantine tank", which in turn *should* refer to being placed in isolation until it can be determined if there is risk of contamination of the DT, or need for treatment.

I get that lots of people choose to prophylactically treat during this period of isolation, that's up to them. But in my opinion, that's not quarantine, that's prophylactic treatment which is a different approach.

Like I said, it's probably just me, but the use of the term "QT" to possibly refer to both approaches does seem to cause a lot of confusion ...

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of kindness to newbies. However, I am always ecstatic when I see/read an experienced reefer assist a new reefer along in a kind and supportive way -- No matter what mistakes the new hobbyist did to start with.

I'm sure I could list a few -- I am human after all. But I think this is at the top of the list as far as this board/reefing is concerned.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice a bit of snobbery by a (very) small amount of members here and other places. If you ain’t growing sticks with radions and running all ecotech returns or mp’s they all talk down to newbs. Only high priced named SPS for these guys anything else is not worth it. Personally I think one of my Goni’s or even my scoly is harder to keep happy than my acros. Or down talking people who use BB lights and can’t be taken seriously because those lights are not professional and to them they will never grow “real”corals. Here is my tank and it’s not rocking a trident or eco tech’s or a huge tank. I play with it everyday and work hard to get it to look this way and I am not considered a real reefer to these types. we all need to help each other even these high end snobs had help back in the day and where newbs at some point.

82923568-4E9E-4B6D-AE31-6D9110801445.jpeg B12503A2-178B-491B-8FC8-DF0AF742B2A0.jpeg

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice a bit of snobbery by a (very) small amount of members here and other places. If you ain’t growing sticks with radions and running all ecotech returns or mp’s they all talk down to newbs. Only high priced named SPS for these guys anything else is not worth it. Personally I think one of my Goni’s or even my scoly is harder to keep happy than my acros. Or down talking people who use BB lights and can’t be taken seriously because those lights are not professional and to them they will never grow “real”corals. Here is my tank and it’s not rocking a trident or eco tech’s or a huge tank. I play with it everyday and work hard to get it to look this way and I am not considered a real reefer to these types. we all need to help each other even these high end snobs had help back in the day and where newbs at some point.

82923568-4E9E-4B6D-AE31-6D9110801445.jpeg B12503A2-178B-491B-8FC8-DF0AF742B2A0.jpeg
Nice looking tank~ When those corals grow out, it is going to be awesome with all those lovely colors under blues. :) BTW, I think sticks are 'ok' but they don't do a lot for me. I'd much rather see some colorful lps plump and flowing in the current. They soften the look of a tank for me. To each his/her own. :)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank~ When those corals grow out, it is going to be awesome with all those lovely colors under blues. :) BTW, I think sticks are 'ok' but they don't do a lot for me. I'd much rather see some colorful lps plump and flowing in the current. They soften the look of a tank for me. To each his/her own. :)
Thank you for the kind words

Sinibotia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People telling me I need an RO system. I would love that but I literally can't have one where I live :mad:

Also: not just people calling clownfish nemo and blue tangs dory, but people calling ANY clownfish Nemo and ANY tang dory. Kid saw a sailfin tang today and said "Dory!" and I nearly lost it.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some examples of companies that do this? I was suspicious that this was something that could be going on in the background, but didn’t really know for sure.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of another one.

Plain brown palys sold as "insert funny name here". I dont know how many examples I've seen of this. Early on I bought into the hype too, and propagated several "varieties" before I realized this. I'm now convinced after growing multiple "varieties" together long term in the same conditions they are all the same type: plain, ugly, brown palys. Maybe once, one polyp showed funny colors under some lighting. But its a colony of plain ugly brown palys now.

SO if anyone is buying, I've got a bunch of arctic ice captain america captain jerks palys for sale! [Sorry, thats ultra green arctic ice captain america captain jerks palys]

This isnt a silly names rant, its specific to ugly plain palys passed off as somehow something else. Doesnt happen with zoas, or hard corals for that matter. Just palys.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have few peeves, I think one of my bigger ones is when people that have been doing this for a while think because your young that what you have to say is of no value or that you couldn't know more about something than they do because they've existed longer...

Talking down on newbies and getting upset with them for not doing research or trusting their LFS Like its their fault other people prey on their impulses and trust.

I also wish more people used latin, I don't care how you pronounce it, I'll figure out what fish you're talking about faster than with a common name no matter how it comes out.
I thought of another one.

Plain brown palys sold as "insert funny name here". I dont know how many examples I've seen of this. Early on I bought into the hype too, and propagated several "varieties" before I realized this. I'm now convinced after growing multiple "varieties" together long term in the same conditions they are all the same type: plain, ugly, brown palys. Maybe once, one polyp showed funny colors under some lighting. But its a colony of plain ugly brown palys now.

SO if anyone is buying, I've got a bunch of arctic ice captain america captain jerks palys for sale! [Sorry, thats ultra green arctic ice captain america captain jerks palys]

This isnt a silly names rant, its specific to ugly plain palys passed off as somehow something else. Doesnt happen with zoas, or hard corals for that matter. Just palys.
Some loser almost suckered me into buying some Artic ice captain america captain jerks palys but I caught on and got out of there!

However I have it on good authority you have the true Emeyer lineage Ultra green artic ice captain america captain jerks Palys and I would like to buy a colony;Greedy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back