40 gallon Breeeder Sump Build

Armour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 40 gallon breeder and I planning on building a sump with it. All I have done today and really since I got the 40 is read about sumps\refugiums. I may be more confused than I was before. Ha!

Questions I have so far are

1. sump or refugium
2. where to set the baffles and measurements for a 40B build.
3. Do I use filter socks or not. If I do how to build this part for the flow, skimmer, and what have you.
4. Do I use glass or acrylic for the baffles

I am sure I will have more questions, but for now this is what I have. I have a 90 gallon aquarium with a SWC skimmer that has been running, but has been neglected and I am in the process of rebuilding so to speak. I am working towards a fowlr and more so at some point a reef aquarium.

If I didnt tell you something that would help give you a better idea for the sump\refugium please let me know and I will answer the best I can.

Thanks!

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing you need to know is what type of filtration you want to use. The beauty of a home made sump is that you can tailor it to your specific equipment.

1. Need to know what you are going to use. Marco Algae, bio pellets, carbon dosing, GFO, Zeovit

2. Again, it depends on your intentions. Measure out how much space your skimmer and filter socks use then use as much space as possible for macro algae if that's what you choose to use. Remember, the last chamber is the only one that will lower with evaporation, so if you make it really small, it will fluctuate allot(not a problem with a top off system). Another thing to think about is space for your return pump. If you use an internal pump, it will use up space in your sump. If you use an external, you free up more space in the sump but it will take up more space under the stand. I personally usually run an external pump and place it directly behind the stand on the floor.

3. I say use them. Allot of people will disagree, but if maintained regularly (changed out 2 times per week), you will get clearer water. I sometimes go without them and when I did water changes and stirred the bottom or blew out the inside of the rocks it would get super cloudy, then I would just put a sock on for a few hours and let it remove it all out of the water. They make ready made hang on sock holders, if not, using a big hole saw on a piece of acrylic, then zip tie it to a pvc stand to hold them out of the water works good to.

4. Either will work. Glass companies will usually cut and clean up the edges for pretty cheap. If not, the cheap acrylic at lowes or homedepot will work fine for this kinda stuff. I prefer glass cause they cut it for me and its pretty cheap (got all done for under $30). However, if making filter sock holders, you'll need to use acrylic.

Step Johns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This website really helped me out when I was building a couple of different sumps. It explains many aspects of them very well. It is called Melev's Reef. I will try to answer a couple of your questions to the best of my knowledge.
1. Most people build a sump with a middle chamber that houses a refugium
2. This will really depend on the layout you choose to go with
3. It is really a personal choice. Some people use them and others do not. I personally use something similar to them and really enjoy it. The only down side is that they need to be changed rather often.
4. I have always used glass for the baffles and I always get it from local glass shops. Just call them up and give them the sizes you need and they are usually very good about it and usually don't cost very much. Also make sure to use an aquarium safe silicone when you put them in to your sump

I hope my response was a bit helpful. I am sure others will respond and can answer your questions more throughly

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently built a 40 breeder sump. I used the acrylic from lowe's. I have three sections the left is my drain housing my socks and skimmer, my middle section is my return pump chamber. My reasoning for this is my 120 is a dual overflow, having a center return makes for more even flow on the returns (or at least this was my thinking). The right chamber of the sump is my refugium. I also built a sock holder out of acrylic. I'll try and take some pictures and post them. My heights are 10" baffles on my bubble trap between the skimmer chamber and the return. 12" height on the baffle between fuge and return chamber.

having the refugium isolated means i can regulate the flow inside the refugium. I will be running macro (although the fuge will be used more for pod repopulation rather than nutrient export), pellets (which is another form of carbon dosing), running carbon in a reactor, and running GFO in a reactor.

As stated above if possible appropriate as much real estate as possible within your sump for the fuge if you plan to use it for nutrient export. That being said, I wouldn't use a fuge in this fashion. For a fuge to be used as a main source of nutrient export you would have to have a refugium equal or larger to the size of your DT.

If you plan on running an ATO then it really doesn't matter how large or small your return chamber is. If you don't have any intentions on running one make this second priority for real estate. If you have a small return chamber, then your water level in this chamber will dictate your life due to refilling. The larger the chamber is the longer it will be between fill ups. If at all possible I'd advise using an ATO. If you plan to have any corals this will ensure that you have a consistent salinity level. Otherwise changing salinity levels rapidly will take its tole on coral health.

OP
OP
A

Armour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks for the tips so far. I never knew about the fact that the return area should be as large as I can make it and still leave space for the other bays. Never thought about that being the only place that would be affected by evaporation. I don't know that I will have room for a ATO. The sump will be going in a 90 gallon cabinet so not much room on the sides.

I do hope to run a gfo & carbon reactor at some point. Also I plan on using filter socks although I am not looking forward to replacing them every few days. I will be using an internal pump as that is what I have now on the current setup. I also plan on using macro algae.

I was hoping to find or get some dimensions for the build. The width that the glass or acrylic should be cut. If you using acrylic or glass how thick it should be. Also the spacing and so on. I am not much of a DIY person, but I thought I would give this a shot. Any pics would also be greatly appreciated. Everyone like pics. Ha!

Thanks for the help so far. I have learned a lot on this from this short time.
[h=1][/h]

ajones2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions for your baffles depend on what you want your water level to be. I set my baffles in the skimmer chamber for 10" the width will depend on what thickness your glass is. Mine are 17.5" wide. If your glass is 3/8" then your width should be 17.25"

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is really convenient and it keeps salinity constant. If not, you'll need to do topoff atleast every other day, if not every day. I had a buddy who couldn't fit his inside, so he built a box outside the stand to put it hide the topoff tank it. Made it look like a planter box with an ivy plant on the top of it.

Greatmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have been running a 40 gallon sump with no baffles with no issue. I am on the fence about adding baffles.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. sump or refugium
- Both, put a fuge in the sump if you want.
- You can gain fuge volume by using a full height baffle.
- To get a water path into the fuge, you can tee off the return, run a dedicated pump for this and reactors, or terminate a secondary drain into the fuge,
- Tee off the return pump or dedicated pump allows the ability to control the water flow thru the fuge.
2. where to set the baffles and measurements for a 40B build.
- Zillion ways to do it. Skimmer compartment normal water level is a good starting point
- Pick three different skimmer brands/models you like, note down the water level requirements, pick a baffle height that would accommodate all three.
- This way your skimmer section is more universal, and you can always raise up a skimmer, but you cannot make the skimmer section deeper on the fly.
3. Do I use filter socks or not. If I do how to build this part for the flow, skimmer, and what have you.
- Use a sock holder.
4. Do I use glass or acrylic for the baffles
- Glass, glass will actually make the sump stronger overall. Use 1/4" minimum.
- Acrylic will absorb water and slightly expand. Proper expansion gaps are needed for acrylic.

Greatmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am set up a seperate 40 gallon also just dedicated to a refugium.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back