OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. those Abyzz pumps are crazy expensive! I will have to weigh the cost of one, versus drilling a hole into my glass sump, which I am not keen on doing. Obviously drilling is a much cheaper option, unless I crack the bloody thing. I do have a 3/4" diamond glass cutting bit I could use, along with some bulk head fittings. Would 3/4 be too small for a PanWorld?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The input and output connectors on a Pan World pump that will suit your needs is 1”. So you will need at minimum, a 1” bulkhead. A 1” sch 80 PVC bulkhead will require a 48mm hole saw. A 1” ABS bulkhead will require a 45mm hole saw.

BlueReef83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is in the basement and I started with a Dolphin Ampmaster pump which worked great but I wanted to get a DC pump that would not draw as much power as the Dolphin pump. I ended up switching to an Abyzz pump and it really is a great pump. I would definitely recommend Abyzz, expensive but in my opinion it is worth it, they have a ten year warranty as well. Benefits of the Abyzz is how quiet it is and power consumption is a lot better.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that something like the abyzz is a nice pump, it’s really crazy expensive. OK, maybe it does draw less electricity, but do the math. It may be that you’d have to run it for 50 years to break even ( and of course no pump lasts that long).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. The sump that came with my tank is glass, and does not have a bulkhead. I prefer not to attempt drilling one. Can I just plumb the pump into the sump by going over the side via PVC without issue?

You can feed an external pump with a U tube going over the side of the sump, but it’s far from ideal. U tubes can trap air during back siphoning thus not allowing the pump to prime and restart properly. I agree that grinding a hole is the way to go. If you do go the U tube route, it’s about the only time I’d recommend a check valve.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reeflo or Iwaki
Abyzz seems to be up and coming

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that something like the abyzz is a nice pump, it’s really crazy expensive. OK, maybe it does draw less electricity, but do the math. It may be that you’d have to run it for 50 years to break even ( and of course no pump lasts that long).
Crazy expensive, yes. More than my first car. It is not for everyone. In my case, the performance curve fit nicely, and I wanted a variable speed submersible pump that I could count on for years to come, even through a potential upgrade from a 220g to something bigger some day. I did consider the largest Red Dragon, which is also a great choice, but I think the Abyzz gave me more potential.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this same problem to solve. Large Fluvals, Mag 36 (backup), AmpMaster, Iwaki and PanWorld all were really good.

All DC pumps failed for me - just tried a few until I "got it." I never tried an Abyzz and likely never will since while they are less wattage, they are not that much less wattage and the return to save a few pennies per day is many, many years. I do appreciate the 10 year warranty, but I once had a 50 year roof and the company went bankrupt after a few years when they all started to fail - if somebody would guarantee me that Aybzz would survive the next downturn that took out the last large batch of reefing companies, then this would be a big factor - Dolphin, Danner, Iwaki all made it the last time.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how Head pressure works with 2 return pumps in the basement? For example 2 vectra m1 with a 12 foot head pressure! How would that turn out?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how Head pressure works with 2 return pumps in the basement? For example 2 vectra m1 with a 12 foot head pressure! How would that turn out?

Assuming each pump is running its own return nozzle into the tank, I would imagine that you would plug your numbers into this head loss calculator, then multiply by 2...

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement Return pump for me will be for a 400 gallon display tank.. Given the size and pressure I am fine with 3-5X Turnover. I prefer 2 pumps for redundancy and ability to clean one without shutting down the system. One task on my current system that I just never did more than 1 time per year was clean the M1. My vectra m1 will be used on a closed loop drilled in eurobrace and feeding a pair of seaswirls to the front of the glass. I can also switch out to a Vectra L1 or add on m1 to each seaswirl since I will have a few extra holes on the closed loop

Any other suggestions on the return pump? Should I just dust of my old mag pump ?

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To piggyback on this thread, I’m setting up a 180 with similar basement sump layout. Would a pan world 150 or Iwaki 55 be the right pump for this application?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I can go lower with regards to turnover, at around 10X for sure. Tank will be SPS dominate, so looking for lots of flow. My budget is flexible, but prefer a pump that won't be a power hog, and cost a fortune in electric. I'm torn between basement sump or under the tank, but basement makes water changes much easier!
Iwaki.
As you know flow can be achieved with powerheads as well, and would be easier in your case. Pushing around the tank is easier than 26 feet and 13 foot lift.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3000 is ludicrous and there is no need what so ever for that much power loss or noise. Rethink the utter nonsense

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To piggyback on this thread, I’m setting up a 180 with similar basement sump layout. Would a pan world 150 or Iwaki 55 be the right pump for this application?
I run a 210 with a 100g basement sump. I ditched the iwaki a long time ago. They are energy pigs wasting to much electricity. Been using a jebao dcp 10000 and it's paid for itself the first year of use. And mine is 5 years old and working perfect. I run mine at around 50 watts. There is no reason to run AC basement sumps anymore

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well, I got an L2 from marketplace here. Do you think that will suffice?
Iffy
Look at the reeflo pump line
These pumps can move water

Back