Ammonia 8ppm

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello it’s coral again. Today I tested my water and my ammonia is 8ppm and possibly over. Most of my coral didn’t make the tank transition. 3 weeks ago I transferred my 46 gallon 3 month old tank to a new 144 gallon tank. Parameters are PH-8 Nitrates .2. Nitrites 0. Ammonia 8ppm. Temp 79. Salinity 1.025. Is it possible to have these Ammonia levels so high with Nitrites at 0. All my fish are alive and accounted for. Same with inverts. I have been dosing Microbacter 7 and Prime daily. How can my fish be alive in water testing over 8ppm. I’m new to this and any information would be helpful. 6 days ago i preformed a 60% water change and ammonia levels were still high

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that prime will bind the ammonia and detoxify it for 24 to 48 hrs but it will still show up on an ammonia test kit. I’d suggest staying on your current path of dosing the bacteria and prime and investing in a different test kit. The api test kits are known for being very inaccurate

OP
OP
C

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As i understand it using prime can detoxify ammonia, but not really prevent it from showing on test kits? I have never used it but i read that a lot on
It is true that prime will bind the ammonia and detoxify it for 24 to 48 hrs but it will still show up on an ammonia test kit. I’d suggest staying on your current path of dosing the bacteria and prime and investing in a different test kit. The api test kits are known for being very inaccurate
Ok will do. Thank you

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is also a major factor. "Ammonia exists in water as either the ammonium ion (NH4+) or the un-ionized ammonia (NH3). Un-ionized ammonia is toxic to fish, while the ammonium ion is nontoxic except at extremely high concentrations. As the pH and temperature increase, the amount of NH3 increases and the amount of NH4+ decreases."

1634358918537.png

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is also a major factor. "Ammonia exists in water as either the ammonium ion (NH4+) or the un-ionized ammonia (NH3). Un-ionized ammonia is toxic to fish, while the ammonium ion is nontoxic except at extremely high concentrations. As the pH and temperature increase, the amount of NH3 increases and the amount of NH4+ decreases."

1634358918537.png
So at pH of 8, even if you really do have 8ppm ammonia, it's in the nh4 state and not as dangerous. As soon as your pH increases you run a rock of toxicity.

OP
OP
C

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at pH of 8, even if you really do have 8ppm ammonia, it's in the nh4 state and not as dangerous. As soon as your pH increases you run a rock of toxicity.
That is so informative thank you. What would u do to save the fish and get past this cycle without fish death I’m not attached to the corals but I am the fish and inverts?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unpopular opinion but prime isn't doing anything but messing with you head and there are dozens of explanations for a API ammonia kit reading.
1. Known misread issues
2. Test kit was contaminated
3. Doing the test wrong
4. Prime is screwing with test results

If you fish are not stressed and your inverts have not been impacted then your nitrification cycled isn't breaking. Think about this critically.. You are using a poor quality test kit known to have issues, you performed a 60% water change without impacting the ammonia reading (which is impossible), your fish are fine and doubtful prime does anything to actually reduce ammonia (its snake oil), 0 nitrite readings and the visual queues in the reef for ammonia poisoning are not present (gasping).

If you give me a walk through of how you did the move I can say with a high certainty whether you nuked your tank. A pic of the tank and walk through of the steps you took provides more information about your system than a fairly useless test kit.

@brandon429 has walked me through my 3 tank move with zero losses. He might have insight.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never heard of ph affecting ammonia…. but I do think you should get some better bottled bac. Like fritz turbo start 900. You can go to your lfs and buy some already established rocks. Boosting that bio load will surely get rid of the ammonia. Do you have any fish? If so, remove them. Stop feeding the tank, and stop dosing prime. I once had a 60g qt that didn’t cycle for a whole month. I was dosing prime, and it says that you can dose during the cycle so I ussumed it was safe. As soon as I stopped dosing, the cycle completed 3 days later. That’s everything I know. Good luck.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never heard of ph affecting ammonia…. but I do think you should get some better bottled bac. Like fritz turbo start 900. You can go to your lfs and buy some already established rocks. Boosting that bio load will surely get rid of the ammonia. Do you have any fish? If so, remove them. Stop feeding the tank, and stop dosing prime. I once had a 60g qt that didn’t cycle for a whole month. I was dosing prime, and it says that you can dose during the cycle so I ussumed it was safe. As soon as I stopped dosing, the cycle completed 3 days later. That’s everything I know. Good luck.
pH increases the toxicity of free ammonia in the tank. API is measuring total

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is not 8ppm unless you used dry everything and never added bacteria. The reason why is you should see nitrite while the ammonia is that high (or would have seen nitrite sky rocket before hand). I really just think something is wrong with the kit.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so informative thank you. What would u do to save the fish and get past this cycle without fish death I’m not attached to the corals but I am the fish and inverts?
I believe the seachem ammonia badge only measures the toxic form. I'd get one to use it for continuous monitoring. There is no way for a testing error with the badge. You can get it at your lfs or Petco.

Do you know what the ammonia is coming from? Important to remove dead or almost dead stuff imho.

I suggest three things:

1) waterchange. For reasons beyond the scope of this thread, synthetic seawater does have ammonia in it (just a little) when freshly mixed... But way less than 8 ppm. If you do a 30% WC soon and another in a few days, you will dilute the ammonia quickly, provided that you are not somehow adding more (from decaying marine life).

2) On that note, unless your fish are starving, substantially reduce or hold off on feeding for a couple of days while you figure this out.

3) consider adding something like purigen, which can directly absorb ammonia asa temporary measure.

4) add some bottled bacteria. Several are good. Some claim to be fast acting. I have had luck with one called biospira. It's available via your local Petco. Add it as if you are setting up a new tank. The bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite work more quickly than the ones that convert. Nitrite to nitrate, so this will still get you out of ammonia land. Nitrite is either non toxic or minimally toxic to marine fish. There are whole threads this you can read if you want some majorly circular debates.

I have never personally used prime, so hopefully other folks will chime in.

Back